Sponsored by:

Video of my wreck at the Glen race

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 04:02 PM
993944S2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

I have a pano mirror inside the car and really don't use it. If find my left and right side, and my blind spot mirrors much better to use.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:11 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ilko
Regarding the outside mirror my take is that you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.
I understand but I would hope that if the "horse" is about to keel over from dehydration, he might at least give it a shot

I'm not saying it's going to change a person's regular use or non-use of the mirror but in a pinch, they might be damn glad it's over there when they need it.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:13 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,441 Likes on 772 Posts

Agree with JW here.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:35 PM
teamNortheast
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In regards to not being able to turn your head with a Hans I have this to say.

At the Atlanta race I stopped by the retail trailer that was across from my trailer with the idea of getting silicon pads to improve feel. He noticed that I had the second generation Hans (the first version that is upgradeable).

He installed the new style helmet strap that slides from side to side. I can look straight out my passenger window and if a impact occurs it equalizes and centers itself. I showed it to some friends at the Glen and the promptly went to CDOC and had it done and loved it.

Check into it, it is worth it.

Steve
Old 06-03-2008, 04:38 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Steve,
Thanks for the quick review! I actually ordered this just last week. Sounds like it's a worthwhile upgrade

Originally Posted by teamNortheast
He installed the new style helmet strap that slides from side to side. I can look straight out my passenger window and if a impact occurs it equalizes and centers itself.

Steve
Old 06-03-2008, 05:18 PM
trackjunky
Rennlist Member

Now correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the PCA racing rules state that it is the responsibility of the car following to avoid contact. In other words, in Rookie School they say that if you are not at least past the middle of the door of the car you are trying to pass, you must yield the corner.

I know I have this in my race notes and I have been told this more than once, because I was not in complete agreement with that rule.

So, if 101 moved over and the result was being hit in the right rear, shouldn't the other car receive the 13 for not yielding the corner?

(If you are correcting me, please state facts and where I can find them.)
Old 06-03-2008, 05:26 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by trackjunky
Now correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the PCA racing rules state that it is the responsibility of the car following to avoid contact. In other words, in Rookie School they say that if you are not at least past the middle of the door of the car you are trying to pass, you must yield the corner.

I know I have this in my race notes and I have been told this more than once, because I was not in complete agreement with that rule.

So, if 101 moved over and the result was being hit in the right rear, shouldn't the other car receive the 13 for not yielding the corner?

I'll preface this with a BIG Also, I am not referencing this incident at all in my comments since obviously I wasn't there.

Technically, you are correct BUT the leading driver also must leave racing room & co-exist in the corner. Comes under the "taking care of each other" rule, I believe. This is probably the most contested & debated rule in PCA CR regarding incidents. I don't envy PCA Stewards when it comes to making a call like that. They sure don't get paid enough
Old 06-03-2008, 05:29 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Now correct me if I'm wrong
Bill - the accident occured in the beginning of the back straight where you track out to the left as you exit the S's. Jess moved right and into his friend..
Old 06-03-2008, 05:35 PM
trackjunky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Bill - the accident occured in the beginning of the back straight where you track out to the left as you exit the S's. Jess moved right and into his friend..
So this was at turn exit, upon which the 101 moved right entering the straight?
Old 06-03-2008, 05:38 PM
Jess
Instructor

Gary

Not trying to deflect blame at all here. The way I see the video, looking frame by frame, the contact between Bill and I happened much earlier, just after the bridge. I was trying to get back into the train of cars that was on line. I had been forced to move left of where I was comfortable. I thought there was a hole. There wasn't.

Jess
Old 06-03-2008, 05:45 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JW in Texas
I'll preface this with a BIG Also, I am not referencing this incident at all in my comments since obviously I wasn't there.

Technically, you are correct BUT the leading driver also must leave racing room & co-exist in the corner. Comes under the "taking care of each other" rule, I believe. This is probably the most contested & debated rule in PCA CR regarding incidents. I don't envy PCA Stewards when it comes to making a call like that. They sure don't get paid enough

This is the hardest thing for rookies like me to understand. I got chopped regularly in my first races . . . even when I was up nearly to the seam of the door of the other car. In each instance, I backed out to prevent contact . . . or went off track myself (e.g., T9 at summit). Yet, when the shoe was on the other foot, nobody else seems to back out or let me through. At times it seems like nothing more than an expensive game of chicken and the guy who wants to win more wins. I can't afford to wreck, so I seem to lose that every time. The way I started trying to deal with it is to get a faster run into the corner and commit to such a degree that neither of us really had a choice.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:46 PM
Jess
Instructor

Bill

That's what I'm seeing. The contact began around the white apron at track out of three.

Jess
Old 06-03-2008, 06:00 PM
trackjunky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TD in DC
This is the hardest thing for rookies like me to understand. I got chopped regularly in my first races . . . even when I was up nearly to the seam of the door of the other car. In each instance, I backed out to prevent contact . . . or went off track myself (e.g., T9 at summit). Yet, when the shoe was on the other foot, nobody else seems to back out or let me through. At times it seems like nothing more than an expensive game of chicken and the guy who wants to win more wins. I can't afford to wreck, so I seem to lose that every time. The way I started trying to deal with it is to get a faster run into the corner and commit to such a degree that neither of us really had a choice.
+1

My thoughts as well, which is why I asked for clarification. A similar thing happened to me at the exit of turn 7 at TWS. Someone was right of me but off my rear wheel on turn exit, he complained that I did not give him racing room, but I was clearly ahead and this was at track out. Later on, I got chopped (by the same racer) in a major way and thankfully avoided an accident. The chop I thought was a clear block as I had to lock up to avoid it. I was almost to his door.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:03 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TD in DC
If I don't know 'em, I err to the conservative side since I been chopped as well(haven't we all). On the other hand, I've raced 1/2 way around Road America w/my buddies in the Cups w/o thinking anything about it. I try to leave room whether I know them or not. To me that's racing but not to some folks who will continue to use this "Own the corner" loophole 'til the cows come home. If you aren't racing next to somebody through multiple corners, you're just missing out in my opinion

PS: And again, I'm not referring to Jess. I've watched some great side-by-side racing from him through multiple corners around TWS
Old 06-03-2008, 06:04 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1

My thoughts as well, which is why I asked for clarification. A similar thing happened to me at the exit of turn 7 at TWS. Someone was right of me but off my rear wheel on turn exit, he complained that I did not give him racing room, but I was clearly ahead and this was at track out. Later on, I got chopped (by the same racer) in a major way and thankfully avoided an accident. The chop I thought was a clear block as I had to lock up to avoid it. I was almost to his door.
Yup . . . seems like racing room is in the eye of the beholder. If someone thinks you will flinch first, they will make you flinch. If someone thinks you are not going to move no matter what, they are less likely to try to make you move. Seems to me the best racers are very observant and figure out where everyone else is scared or hesitant, and then scares them a little right there as necessary to get around.

Quick Reply: Video of my wreck at the Glen race