Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Having now driven a 911, I have to ask why would you ever want to race one????

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 10:35 PM
Azikara
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny, what is it about Pelican that gets us early 911 drivers to wax so eloquently there.
Something about the getting right which has us all off writing poetry about our cars
Old 06-05-2008, 10:41 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RJay

Funny, what is it about Pelican that gets us early 911 drivers to wax so eloquently there.

Heres what I wrote about my car in '05. over there. It still sums it up, except that in the end I couldn't resist a little more tire.

And I fully agree with the primary assertion of your ancient post, the physics of rear engined car are undeniable. Thanks...
My first car I ever raced was a '68 911L (with S engine transplant) in '69, SCCA. I'm tempted to try one again...
Old 06-05-2008, 10:48 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Smith
Is that school in Missouri per chance?
Would you be thinking about Rolla (my Alma Mata)?
Old 06-05-2008, 11:06 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SundayDriver
Would you be thinking about Rolla (my Alma Mata)?
HAHA, exactly! I went there for a semester... which was one semester too long.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:23 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 771 Posts

Originally Posted by 1957 356
I am the fastest driver here...my mom told me so.

I drive a 911 because when I drive it without wearing underwear I feel sexy.
GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA...TMI TMI TMI TMI TMI.

PS: I am faster

PPS: I think 911's, especially older ones, take a LOT more skill to be driven well, on the edge constantly, than more benign cars like 944's, M3's, Boxster/Gaymen, etc. Thus, people who successfully race 911's and win are often slightly better drivers than those who do not IMO.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:40 PM
MTosi
User

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Remember, as noted earlier, this is a bar. Therefore:

ask and ye shall recieve
these were the lastest 2 and the only ones I had pics of-

^I let this one drive my car and I'm pretty sure It took about 20k miles off my clutch that already has 200k on it, it now lets out absolutely at the top of the travel. I showed her how to use a stick .....but I'm not entirely sure it was worth the reward since now everyday I have to deal with a ridiculously high clutch, but its the only time I'll have positive thoughts while dealing with a slipping clutch.... but in the end lesson learned if a chick want's to learn how ot use a stick, she can buy one and I'll show her on that

Last edited by MTosi; 06-05-2008 at 11:57 PM.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:41 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

Mtosi - the answer to your question is a matter of physics and physique. The weight of the engine behind the rear axle needs to be counterbalanced by the mass of the ***** in the front of the driver's seat
Old 06-05-2008, 11:53 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by bobt993
Ghetto Racer II? He's back???????????
MIKE - this is not a compliment.
Find out who stole your screen name and posted this foolishness and make him stop before your reputation is ruined!
You do not want to be GRII, believe me.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:01 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MTosi
Did we read the thread or miss the point of it entirely.....I didn't spin.....I beat the owner whose been driving 911's for many years by FOUR seconds on a minute long course and beat ELEVEN other 911 drivers in my first time ever in a 911. I didn't have a problem, or bad habits, and wasn't complaining, I was simply questioning why if you were trying to win races why you would choose a 911.....Nor am I bashing the 911 it happens to be my favorite car.....
Not to jump in late and not to put the other drivers and you down. But I won this class in this region a few years ago and I stopped driving my 911 at AX at Devens because the class was to easy. I think you need to learn how to drive first. I think I have talked with you before and if I remember, you are not very old. Maybe you need some more seat time and get into a harder class.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:03 AM
MTosi
User

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
MIKE - this is not a compliment.
Find out who stole your screen name and posted this foolishness and make him stop before your reputation is ruined!
You do not want to be GRII, believe me.
I knew you were going to join this discussion at some point, you 911 owners can't help yourselves , next time you stop by the shop ask the chief mechanic what he thinks about 911's, and you'll see where it comes from. On a side note hows the Mini going? I heard you stopped by, it must have been late because I was working until 7 that night, and he still had three visiters after I left.

Originally Posted by Jay Gratton
Not to jump in late and not to put the other drivers and you down. But I won this class in this region a few years ago and I stopped driving my 911 at AX at Devens because the class was to easy. I think you need to learn how to drive first. I think I have talked with you before and if I remember, you are not very old. Maybe you need some more seat time and get into a harder class.
I think we have....I know your name but I'm not placing you with a car????? Also I didn't win the class there were 15 cars in it, which is the largest class I've ever seen at a AutoX lately, so its hard to argue competetiveness of it now. This being said I'm not out to prove myself AutoXing I'm simply doing it for fun. Despite my young age I've been racing since I was 10 years old in some capacity or another, I've just plain grown up around it. Learning to drive is not my problem..... Making the money to buy a car, and race one is......so if anyone has any suggestions or helpful advice I'm open......

Last edited by MTosi; 06-06-2008 at 12:45 AM.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:41 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

ask and ye shall recieve
these were the lastest 2 and the only ones I had pics of-

^I let this one drive my car and I'm pretty sure It took about 20k miles off my clutch that already has 200k on it, it now lets out absolutely at the top of the travel. I showed her how to use a stick .....but I'm not entirely sure it was worth the reward since now everyday I have to deal with a ridiculously high clutch, but its the only time I'll have positive thoughts while dealing with a slipping clutch.... but in the end lesson learned if a chick want's to learn how ot use a stick, she can buy one and I'll show her on that
Awesome hotness. I'd trade 20k miles of clutch for other things. Trust me, women get far more expensive than clutches.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:43 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hang in there dude! I posted a picture of me with the Red Sox World Series trophy and I JOKED about how it was the greatest moment in my life and I was basically told my life was meaningless and I suck as a person.
But just so you know, I won the class on street tires!
Also, what school in NH do you go to?
Old 06-06-2008, 02:05 AM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Despite my young age I've been racing since I was 10 years old in some capacity or another, I've just plain grown up around it.
Unfortunately, racing BMX bikes doesn't really carry over to cars.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:11 AM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Kid, let me tell you, if you're letting a young woman as pretty as that drive your 200K bucket of bolts and the stick you're concerned about is between the seats instead of your legs, you got a **** of a lot to learn.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:13 AM
Noel
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay Gratton
Come back down Jay!!! Class 7 was 15 cars last weekend and was quite fun. I actually won the class with my first run of the day. Additional competition would be great.

Quick Reply: Having now driven a 911, I have to ask why would you ever want to race one????