Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 01:20 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Racing Fitness

Hey Gang:

Maybe I'm late to the party, but over the last 5-7 years or so, one of the biggest trends I've noticed in racing has been related to driver fitness and stamina.

Look at the F1 drivers today, IndyCar, Grand Am - look at Scott Pruett, and even though most of you guys are gonna cringe, look at the latest crop of NASCAR drivers (excluding Tony Stewart of course -he'd be a good Michelin Man mascot).

In all cases listed above, drivers are getting smaller and smaller, leaner and leaner, almost to the point at which they are sick after a race, even with today's AC systems in the car.

It must be a heck of a competetive advantage because its very difficult to get information regarding their workout routines, their pre-race eating/drinking routines, etc. (not that I want to be sick after a weekend at the track or anything, don't get me wrong)

While watching the WG GrandAM race on Saturday I heard the announcers mention that one of the drivers (can't remember who), before each race mixes up his own sport-drink using his own special recipe, and it was accidentally discarded by a member of his crew. I for one would be curious to know what types of driver aids like this people are using and pursuing.

Any of you guys have any special recipes for sport drinks - or do any of you know what that driver in particular may have been drinking?

Last year I managed to drop 25-26lbs, and it still doesn't seem like enough, and this is one area of the sport I've been keeping my eye on.

What are you guys doing to prep yourselves (especially those of you coming down to VIR in August for the club race - BTW its already been 100 degrees down here - and summer is early - 3 days of racing in weather like that will pretty much wipe you out - thus the reason for this thread).

Are you guys using off the shelf sport drinks, mixing your own, if so, I'd like to see the recipes. Any particular eating style that you take on in the week leading up to race, etc. I'd like to hear.

Thanks,

Brian
Old 06-10-2008, 01:25 PM
DogInBlack
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Old 06-10-2008, 01:26 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

It's at the point where there are whole programs designed around driver fitness for even club racers.

www.pitfit.com is one of them that I've heard good things about but no personal experience.

As for drinks, I mixed my own when I had the time to ride my road bike. I actually found I did best when I would mix the drinks closer to half strength. The full strength stuff made me feel worse after the long hot rides. Brands were pick your poison, I liked whatever was out there in 'red' flavor. The gatorade endurance stuff cut with water was my personal favorite.

Last weekend at VIR I went through the equivalent of 12 bottles of water from wakeup to 5PM and still felt that I should have drank more.

Thanks for making me look forward to mvoing down there this weekend. Yecchhhhhh. 100 in NC/VIR is going to be miserable.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:28 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Are you sure you're just not getting older and heavier? Seriously, though. I can't speak to some of the other types of racing, but I have this Nascar poster and many of those guys are mere children (says me at 35 ). Tony Stewart's been around a while, so maybe genetics is playing into it.

Based on hearing what kind of IN CAR regimin these guys keep, I can't imagine when the'd log tons of time at the gym or doing anything else....like eating.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:35 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bicycle. It is one of the best form of excersize in terms of coping with heat, dehydration and long term stamina. From what I have heard, a lot of pro racers cycle. Did 30 hilly miles in about 1 3/4 hours on Saturday (98 degrees). I still have to lose some more weight, but it is happening slowly.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 06-10-2008, 01:40 PM
FlyingDog
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
As for drinks, I mixed my own when I had the time to ride my road bike. I actually found I did best when I would mix the drinks closer to half strength. The full strength stuff made me feel worse after the long hot rides.
When I was playing soccer in HS we were not allowed to drink full strength Gatorade/Powerade/whatever. It always had to be diluted by at least half. The salt levels in those drinks will often dehydrate you even more.

Lately I've been working a lot in the heat and humidity moving concrete and gravel for our new race shop. Not exactly driving, but hot and exhausting. I've found that the Propel powder packets for 20oz work well in a 32oz bottle of cool water.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:49 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

I like running 2.5 - 3 miles every other day plus upper body strenght conditioning.

This past w/e I felt better on Sunday when I was drinking Gatorade as well as water. Sport drinks seem to put something back in the tank heat and sweat take out.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:52 PM
hammerwerfer
Racer

Wahtever about getting sick after a race, and the trend toward jockey sized drivers, I have it on good authority that a certain tall American driver was a bit ill prior to the Nürburgring 24 Stunden.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:02 PM
RQ_GT3
Instructor

I've been an active triathlete for many years, and have been using products from these folks for a long time: www.hammernutrition.com

In particular their Heed drink mix is superb. Endurolytes supplements are a must when its hot.

I won't touch Gatorade or any of those high fructose corn syroup drinks, the simple sugars are a bad recipe for endurance activities.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:15 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

What do you guys drink while IN the car for an enduro?
Old 06-10-2008, 02:22 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

I prefer to drink Pedialyte to Gatorade (per recommendations from a well known long time pro-racer) if not 1/2 half gatorade with 1/2 H2O.

He also reccomended going a bit more into salt in the days before a long enduro (to retain liquids) and snacking simple pasta between runs for a quick energy boost. No caffeine (including tea) and no sodas.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:58 PM
Chris L.
Pro

Well BKS you know everyone looks up to you in the paddock FIGURATIVELY MIND YOU. . . NOT LITERALLY!

I talk with Brian often about health and fitness. I too run about 20 miles/week currently and lift. I would love to bike but just can't find the time. I can wake up, slip on some shoes and get my big 15s pounding the asphalt quick enough though.

I believe it was this month's issue of Runner's World that has a good article on hydration and drinks. What to drink based on distances ran and when to drink them.

I am sure that all the health magazines run these type articles from time to time. And trust me as I am one. I believe for the most part you will find better guidance as to what works best in these type magazines than you would with your local primary physicians. Not always mind you.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:59 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

I won't touch Gatorade or any of those high fructose corn syroup drinks, the simple sugars are a bad recipe for endurance activities.
That is the #1 thing I'm trying to stay away from with the off-the-shelf stuff. That's one of the reasons I inquired about "brewing" your own sport drink.

Thanks guys, there's some good info in here. Keep it coming.

Brian
Old 06-10-2008, 03:24 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 771 Posts

BKS, I powerwalk a lot in the heat of the day. Biking is just as good, as Larry said, but I don't enjoy the traffic danger. Also, I do several sets of knuckle pushups a day (put your weight on your 4 knuckles of each hand rather than the palms) and several sets of slow crunches and pull ups (normal & reverse) at least 3-4 times a week. All this adds muscle tone & strength w/o adding bulk (as weightlifting would). I only drink water when doing any of this training. 2 bananas a day also help.

As for in car beverages, Pedialyte or other low sugar low salt electrolyte replacements, well diluted with water, seem to work really well.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:41 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
BKS, I powerwalk a lot in the heat of the day. Biking is just as good, as Larry said, but I don't enjoy the traffic danger.
And you call yourself a racer?

Quick Reply: Racing Fitness