Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hoosier A6s vs the Michlen SX Race Slick (non cup)

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 02:16 PM
bowmanm98
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hoosier A6s vs the Michlen SX Race Slick (non cup)

Hey guys,

I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with the same car running A6 Hoosiers and Michelin Pilot SX Race. Which one is faster and by how much?

Also,

Are the Full soft Michelins faster than the medium in 80 degree weather?

If you had 18x11.5 and 18x13 what size Michelins?
Old 06-10-2008, 03:59 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Maybe better to ask this in the Autocross forum?
Old 06-10-2008, 04:58 PM
bowmanm98
Racer

Originally Posted by LVDell
Maybe better to ask this in the Autocross forum?
Why is that? The A6s are faster road racing.
Old 06-10-2008, 04:59 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Sure, if you are running 60 second run sessions or 1-2 lap qualifying.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:13 PM
bowmanm98
Racer

Sure, if you are running 60 second run sessions or 1-2 lap qualifying.
Trust me, they last all 20 minutes. If you don't believe me ask Hoosier.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:25 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

I'm not going to argue with you. You can ask Hoosier all you want. There is a "R" tire for road circuits and an "A" tire for autocross and time trials. The difference in the tire is the temps they require to get grip. I instructed a guy at VIR that had the same thought process as you and trust me, the tire was like gooey putty when we came in. I couldn't figure out what was wrong with his car until we came in and I realized he was running an A6. His reasoning for it was that he heard the same thing you are saying. Trust me, it's the WRONG tire for anything other than a situation where you need the tires to grip and don't have time to get them up to temp as it is meant to be run at LOWER temps (typically 40-50 degrees lower).

Maybe if you drive slow enough in your sessions you can prevent the tires from overheating (roughly 140 degrees is the sweet spot for the A6).

FYI...it's the same principle as running street pads on the track. Sure you can do it as long as you don't overheat the pads. There is an OPTIMAL temp range for all these things and you goal is to make sure and match those up properly. The flip side of that is that you wouldn't run a race pad on the street as you can't get enough heat in the pads.

edit......I just noticed you are running 11.5 and 13 inch wide wheels. What car is this on? On second thought you might need the A6 since it is going to take some SERIOUS WORK to get enough heat in a tire as wide as it will be to fit on those suckers.

Last edited by LVDell; 06-10-2008 at 06:05 PM.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:15 PM
bowmanm98
Racer

I'm not going to argue with you. You can ask Hoosier all you want. There is a "R" tire for road circuits and an "A" tire for autocross and time trials. The difference in the tire is the temps they require to get grip. I instructed a guy at VIR that had the same thought process as you and trust me, the tire was like gooey putty when we came in. I couldn't figure out what was wrong with his car until we came in and I realized he was running an A6. His reasoning for it was that he heard the same thing you are saying. Trust me, it's the WRONG tire for anything other than a situation where you need the tires to grip and don't have time to get them up to temp as it is meant to be run at LOWER temps (typically 40-50 degrees lower).

Maybe if you drive slow enough in your sessions you can prevent the tires from overheating (roughly 140 degrees is the sweet spot for the A6).

FYI...it's the same principle as running street pads on the track. Sure you can do it as long as you don't overheat the pads. There is an OPTIMAL temp range for all these things and you goal is to make sure and match those up properly. The flip side of that is that you wouldn't run a race pad on the street as you can't get enough heat in the pads.

edit......I just noticed you are running 11.5 and 13 inch wide wheels. What car is this on? On second thought you might need the A6 since it is going to take some SERIOUS WORK to get enough heat in a tire as wide as it will be to fit on those suckers.
Yes for Time Trialing. That's a fair compromise. My question is really about the Michelins, not which hoosier is right for my application. I know you're trying to help so thanks. Are the Michelins faster than the A6 for Time Trialing?
Old 06-10-2008, 06:19 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As Dell has been kind enough to suggest, A6's are not designed for road course use. You will find something hard to hit after a lap or two when they get greasy. The only guys I have seen run them in a sprint race are running in NASA with lightweight Hondas and in pretty cold air temps. They are no longer legal in PCA club racing since racers would use them to qualify in 1 to 2 laps, then get off the track.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:40 PM
bowmanm98
Racer

Originally Posted by bobt993
As Dell has been kind enough to suggest, A6's are not designed for road course use. You will find something hard to hit after a lap or two when they get greasy. The only guys I have seen run them in a sprint race are running in NASA with lightweight Hondas and in pretty cold air temps. They are no longer legal in PCA club racing since racers would use them to qualify in 1 to 2 laps, then get off the track.
Ok, for qualifying then. You're trying to get one fast lap on your 2nd lap on A6s or 3rd or 4th lap on Michelins for Time Trialing. Which ones are faster?
Old 06-10-2008, 07:06 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

I can't speak to the Michelin tires since I do not have experience with them (only their Pilot Cup Slicks). I do have experience with both the A6 and R6.

If you have a link to the Michelin you are talking about we can look at the specs on them and tell you which would be preferred for a specific use.

Is the Michelin a DoT-R?
Old 06-10-2008, 07:10 PM
bowmanm98
Racer

I can't speak to the Michelin tires since I do not have experience with them (only their Pilot Cup Slicks). I do have experience with both the A6 and R6.

If you have a link to the Michelin you are talking about we can look at the specs on them and tell you which would be preferred for a specific use.

Is the Michelin a DoT-R?

Thanks,

yeah the non dots, Pilot Cup Slicks

http://www.jdmotorsports.com/tiresales.aspx

Last edited by bowmanm98; 06-10-2008 at 08:00 PM.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:21 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dell.... count to 10 :-)
Old 06-10-2008, 08:12 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 40 Posts

The Michelins are treacherous until they are warm. You won't like them.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:18 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

One of our faster racers out here in la la land put a set of "A" tires on for qualifying last December on a cold day. He went 2 laps and beat the class record by 2-3 seconds. Remarkably they let it stand.

I would compare costs before I jumped in that direction. Since you're only going to get a few laps out of them they would have to be damn cheap to make it worth trying a set. The cups on the other hand, are good for 4-6 fast cycles, and then another 10 or so at about 70%. Yes they're slippery for the first lap...

Did you mention what car these are going on?....
Old 06-10-2008, 08:24 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

7, 8, 9, 10!

Quick Reply: Hoosier A6s vs the Michlen SX Race Slick (non cup)