Sponsored by:

Watkins Glen Wild Ride Video

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 11:41 AM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow bummer. I've always heard you want to use all the road but, as a team pointing different directions.......

Looks like lots of hours of work is in your future.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:43 AM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by APKhaos
Am I seeing this right? Did Clay's wall tap effectively wipe out the entire Bimmerworld team in one swipe, with no other cars involved??
Your vision is correct. Luckily the cars are all fixable and will be ready for the next race at Mid Ohio.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:48 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Am I seeing this right? Did Clay's wall tap effectively wipe out the entire Bimmerworld team in one swipe, with no other cars involved??

I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often. Seems like in that series that you always have the 3 cars from a given team running nose to tail.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:07 PM
dmoffitt
Three Wheelin'

Saw some photos a friend took while he was down there, glad everyone made it out unscathed and that the cars are fixable. Bummer!
Old 06-19-2008, 02:03 PM
Benton
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That blows big time. Glad nobody was hurt. I didn't know when the crash was going to happen and when he was in the corner I was thinking, man, that looks like a lot of understeer? BOOM! Did he have a left front go out or something or just enter too hot?
Old 06-19-2008, 02:43 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
The second two shots are not of Clay's car. One is Nick Esayian's #34 car and the other is of my #38 car.
No, I know, from your car (and Nick's) it looks like there is a car right in front of Clay's.
Old 06-19-2008, 03:09 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 63 Likes on 25 Posts

wow...that is exactly what I was thinking... Lucky noone got hurt. It sucks big time... goes to show how easy things can happen on a track without proper run off room. Just imagine any other track with run off room, 99% he would have been out without taking anyone else with him and probably with no damage. Bummer.
Old 06-19-2008, 03:14 PM
MTosi
User

Same crash just with Miata's not SWC cars

from further back:

I almost wonder If It would be better to get rid of the tire wall, since it seems like they get sucked into it and spun out into traffic, as opposed to just bouncing off and causing a little damage on the side of the car.
Old 06-19-2008, 03:15 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Red
That blows big time. Glad nobody was hurt. I didn't know when the crash was going to happen and when he was in the corner I was thinking, man, that looks like a lot of understeer? BOOM! Did he have a left front go out or something or just enter too hot?
looks to me like he missed the apex by a longshot . . . Bad line seems responsible rather than mechanical failure . . .
Old 06-19-2008, 03:28 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DJF1
wow...that is exactly what I was thinking... Lucky noone got hurt. It sucks big time... goes to show how easy things can happen on a track without proper run off room. Just imagine any other track with run off room, 99% he would have been out without taking anyone else with him and probably with no damage. Bummer.

Yep, that is one of the things that makes The Glen The Glen.
Old 06-19-2008, 03:41 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
No, I know, from your car (and Nick's) it looks like there is a car right in front of Clay's.
As I said earlier, I think you may be confusing Jim Daniel's Mazda that is right behind Clay, and that is also involved in the crash, for Clay.

Car order: James, Jim, Nick, Seth. Seth and Jim end up together at the end of the banging around as you can see from Nick's in-car.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:27 PM
pat056
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate to see that. I watched it on Speed last night too. Looked like James was limping when he got out of the car.
Haven't been to The Glen. However, after watching 2 wrecks on video from this site, I've cancelled my plan for a trip there for this year. I'll stick with VIR and Rd. Atlanta
Old 06-19-2008, 04:29 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by pat056
Haven't been to The Glen. However, after watching 2 wrecks on video from this site, I've cancelled my plan for a trip there for this year. I'll stick with VIR and Rd. Atlanta
don't cancel, you'll be missing one of the best tracks on the planet. As soon as my car is fixed I'm headed right back.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:32 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Man, that really sucks. You go into an event understanding the risks, but who would think that a single accident would take out 3 cars from the same team.

Maybe you should go our an buy some lottery tickets on the basis that you have obviously exceeded your allotment of bad luck.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:33 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 40 Posts

The Glen, like other Nascar tracks (Talladega, Bristol, Daytona, Darlington, etc) are great for spectators who love to see crashes. NASCAR says racing is a show so they love crashes. IMHO those tracks suck.

Quick Reply: Watkins Glen Wild Ride Video