Sponsored by:

Watkins Glen Wild Ride Video

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 04:18 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Juan Lopez
Ouch, good to hear you all are ok. On related note, which camera system are you guys running?

We are all running the Chasecam setup. Pretty good stuff that records everything on a compact flash card. The race footage usually uses up a 4GB card but the quality is set relatively high. My car has two cameras in it and I like having that so I can how I reacted to situations happening on track. As you can see in the video my hands were moving a lot.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:19 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chrisp
just curious, how much do these cars weigh?
2800 lbs with driver. In my case I am 170# with my gear on so my car with ballast weight is around 2630# with very little fuel in it.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:40 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

working those Toyo's pretty hard huh? From the looks of the video, you guys are turning 2:08's or so.

Have you ever tested a faster tire?
Old 06-20-2008, 04:48 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
We are all running the Chasecam setup. Pretty good stuff that records everything on a compact flash card. The race footage usually uses up a 4GB card but the quality is set relatively high. My car has two cameras in it and I like having that so I can how I reacted to situations happening on track. As you can see in the video my hands were moving a lot.
REALLY stupid question warning.

So, is the in-car footage added to the SPEED broadcast programming after the race, or is there a "live" feed as well?
Old 06-20-2008, 04:49 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

2:06 was our qualifying times this year. Fast race laps were high 2:06s to low 2:07s.

I have tested faster tires before on other cars. The series mandates we use the R888 so we don't really spend any time testing these cars on anything else.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:50 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
REALLY stupid question warning.

So, is the in-car footage added to the SPEED broadcast programming after the race, or is there a "live" feed as well?
The cameras used for the in cars during the broadcast are a lot different setup. The Chasecam really doesn't have the quality needed for the TV feed. They are a lot more high quality and are broadcast live during the race.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:52 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
The cameras used for the in cars during the broadcast are a lot different setup. The Chasecam really doesn't have the quality needed for the TV feed. They are a lot more high quality and are broadcast live during the race.
Noted, I believe in the past before they purchased the equipment for the in-car cameras they actually did allow racers to submit in-car footage on Mini DV and a few other formats to be edited into the broadcast.

Seth, how do they decide who is carrying a camera? Is it a pay-to-play type deal or does SPEED make the decision?
Old 06-20-2008, 05:06 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
Seth, how do they decide who is carrying a camera? Is it a pay-to-play type deal or does SPEED make the decision?
Both. A couple of the teams/sponsors have paid money for the cameras and the rest Speed determines by luck of the draw. Or in some cases just keep doing stuff on track that would be exciting to view!
Old 06-20-2008, 06:28 PM
AC coupe
Instructor

Originally Posted by M758
... Still having zero run off is stupid as well. ....
I'm guessing you guys would not enjoy the Nurburgring!
Old 06-20-2008, 06:33 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by AC coupe
I'm guessing you guys would not enjoy the Nurburgring!
Everyone knows that NASCAR designed the 'ring that way so that there would be more crashes to show on TV!!! What a crappy track!
Old 06-20-2008, 06:53 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Despite having suffered a self-inflicted wound at the hands of the blue armco, it is still one of my favorite, if not my favorite, tracks. Heaven for track junkies. Could safety be improved? Yes, greatly. Is it bad enough that I would stay away? Not on your life.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:54 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by TD in DC
Despite having suffered a self-inflicted wound at the hands of the blue armco, it is still one of my favorite, if not my favorite, tracks. Heaven for track junkies. Could safety be improved? Yes, greatly. Is it bad enough that I would stay away? Not on your life.
Me too....
Old 06-20-2008, 06:54 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,433 Likes on 767 Posts

Everyone knows that NASCAR designed the 'ring that way so that there would be more crashes to show on TV!!! What a crappy track!
Exactly.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:04 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the inside info that they modeled it after the Bristol track. Having been to both (not driven either), the copying was obvious.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:08 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,433 Likes on 767 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
I have the inside info that they modeled it after the Bristol track. Having been to both (not driven either), the copying was obvious.
Bristol, you say?

Quick Reply: Watkins Glen Wild Ride Video