Sponsored by:

Goodbye to Club Racing - for now.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 10:20 AM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GT3 Nut:
How does that mastercard add go....."the look on your childrens face: PRICELESS". My girls are only 13 & 9 and the time is absolutely flying by. I am very hopeful in a few years I can toss the keys to them and watch from from the pits.

No racing in my immediate future: car, college, grad school, weddings, house *2 and all along smiling as I do it. Cheers to you and your family, as others have sharred they are #1
Old 07-02-2008, 10:28 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow....Who did you get to do the "honest self evaluation?" I have been trying to get me to do that with myself but it hasn't worked.....

I have however had the "talk" with my wife on numerous occasions. I still race but it's probably half as much as I did last year but that's still probably more than a lot on here. No racing this month or next month though

I really admire your decision and your ability to talk to your inner self and get somewhere....
Old 07-02-2008, 11:29 AM
Dark Helmet
Instructor

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Wow, I didn't know stopping cold-turkey was possible! Good luck!

One of my favorite pictures, me and the kids at the Road America club race last year. Assuming I get my engine back together, we'll be back out to Wisconsin as a family again this year. I'm still desperately trying to have my cake and eat it, too.

that is priceless man. to them, you are the "Hero Racecar Driver." I've got another year or two before our son can tag along to the track, but I am anxiously awaiting it!
Old 07-02-2008, 01:06 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

25 years ago I walked away from motorcycle and Porsche racing to raise 2 kids. Both are now thru college and on their way so I started racing again 4-5 years ago. There is no greater calling than the responsibility we have to the brats we brought into this world. I can attest that the passon will not go away, only the reflexes.....

Last edited by jrgordonsenior; 07-02-2008 at 09:58 PM.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:21 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Family can make good pit crews...only if they want to!
Old 07-02-2008, 03:27 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Matt, get in some time trials man. It's not racing, but beats the heck out of DE.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:51 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Both my kids were really upset when I told them I was selling my car. They both said they loved bragging to their friends, going to the races and camping but my daughter said "I don't want you to because I know it makes you happy" Now, how's that for a crew?
Attached Images  
Old 07-02-2008, 05:03 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
that is priceless man. to them, you are the "Hero Racecar Driver."
Yes, I am. Not to sound like I can rationalize anything related to this sport, but... I actually think I am providing a pretty strong role model for my kids. They have been included in my driving/racing since they were tiny (my daughter ventured on the 8+ hour trek to Mosport when she was 3-4 months old). They have been able to observe "the thrill of victory" and the "agony of defeat" through me and have been able to take note of how I have handled myself. I think this is good. Further, I think that showing your kids passion and dedication - particularly while overcoming obstacles to success - is also a good fatherly thing to do. Having them around me at races has helped with this. We all might do the same in our jobs, but the kids can't see or understand this as easily. It is great family bonding time to go on the long trips (16 hours or so to Road America for us, for example) and spending weekends together as a family is always a good thing.

I also think it is critically important for the kids to see their parents as "happy". Happy parents raise happy kids. If I was to give up racing, it would be hard to be happy and they'd know it and probably indirectly and unintentionally suffer for it. (The point John H alludes to above - I can't agree with it more.)

I have also always felt strongly that the family unit is not all about the kids. We are one big family team, therefore it is important that everyones' activities are treated as important and we balance time across them. As such, I do not think it is healthy for my kids to feel that my life revolves around them, nor should they feel my hobbies leads to neglect of their interests. They need to learn balance and giving back, not just take take take. Thus, they come to my races, I go to their baseball games and piano recitals, we go to cheer-on Food Angel in her breast cancer walks, etc. So far, so good. My kids are 7 & 9.

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
I've got another year or two before our son can tag along to the track, but I am anxiously awaiting it!
Awesome! Best of luck! If you want a true parent/kid relationship building activity that is an extension of your track addiction, get your kid into karting. There you will be with your son all weekend and in a mode where you are a team: you're the pit crew and general manager, the kid is the driver. Talk about a way to open up communication channels!
Old 07-02-2008, 06:06 PM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 83 Posts

Yes, I am. Not to sound like I can rationalize anything related to this sport, but... I actually think I am providing a pretty strong role model for my kids. They have been included in my driving/racing since they were tiny (my daughter ventured on the 8+ hour trek to Mosport when she was 3-4 months old). They have been able to observe "the thrill of victory" and the "agony of defeat" through me and have been able to take note of how I have handled myself. I think this is good. Further, I think that showing your kids passion and dedication - particularly while overcoming obstacles to success - is also a good fatherly thing to do. Having them around me at races has helped with this. We all might do the same in our jobs, but the kids can't see or understand this as easily. It is great family bonding time to go on the long trips (16 hours or so to Road America for us, for example) and spending weekends together as a family is always a good thing.

I also think it is critically important for the kids to see their parents as "happy". Happy parents raise happy kids. If I was to give up racing, it would be hard to be happy and they'd know it and probably indirectly and unintentionally suffer for it. (The point John H alludes to above - I can't agree with it more.)

I have also always felt strongly that the family unit is not all about the kids. We are one big family team, therefore it is important that everyones' activities are treated as important and we balance time across them. As such, I do not think it is healthy for my kids to feel that my life revolves around them, nor should they feel my hobbies leads to neglect of their interests. They need to learn balance and giving back, not just take take take. Thus, they come to my races, I go to their baseball games and piano recitals, we go to cheer-on Food Angel in her breast cancer walks, etc. So far, so good. My kids are 7 & 9.

Awesome! Best of luck! If you want a true parent/kid relationship building activity that is an extension of your track addiction, get your kid into karting. There you will be with your son all weekend and in a mode where you are a team: you're the pit crew and general manager, the kid is the driver. Talk about a way to open up communication channels!
I wish it was like that for me, but my wife is simply not interested in races at all. My one daughter (7) is but my youngest (4) doesn't like the noise. They both grow tired very quickly of being at the track. However they both said they didn't want me to sell my race car. But again, my circumstances are different from yours. I envy you (in a good way).
Continue to have fun!!!!
Old 07-02-2008, 06:11 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Matt,

I know how you feel. Sounds like you are making similar choices to the choices I made. Good for you. Sometimes being a good father/husband means saying no to yourself.

TD
Old 07-02-2008, 06:25 PM
2000gt3cup
Rennlist Member

Matt really enjoyed meeting, running with and sharing the paddolk with you last year..... knowing you, you will be back when the time is right for you and your family... stay in touch and let me know what your DE schedule is and I will see if we can make our paths cross again sooner than later..be well

and btw ....let's see ... cup car for a RS.. not too hard to take

carroll
Old 07-02-2008, 07:57 PM
Dark Helmet
Instructor

great dialog, my son is 3, daughter just turned 1. Linus LOVES "daddy's loud race-tar" and likes to help me work on it (BMW E30 track rat).

my wife isn't really big on the track stuff, but MY dad usually tags along and next summer the boy will be joining us for some HPDE events I am sure...

I can't wait for him to be able to drive too (just not my car!)
Old 07-02-2008, 09:33 PM
Gasser
Burning Brakes

I went through the same thing when my second daughter was born. I stopped for 3 years. My wife was very stressed to say the least. Time has passed and now she insisted I buy another race car. I did and everything is great. She gets me out of the house for "Guy weekends" and I get it out of my system. Be patient, spend time with your family and you can rejoin us later. Its all about compromises and moderation. DEs will still be fun, take a friend and have some competition between friends. Once its in your blood you will never escape You will be back so go enjoy your family and enjoy your new RS in the mean time.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:21 PM
Steward B.
Rennlist Member

an interesting comment that your wife is not interested in the track at all.

I wonder if she's ever thought about the fact that it would appear to be one of your passions in life. I also wonder if she thinks about how much you care for your family to give up one of the passions in your life. On the other hand, what does it mean that she's asking you to give up one of the passions in your life, that is unless you are mortgaging the farm to race.

I had a similar discussion with a good lady friend of mine, who races, a couple of years ago when one of our other racing friends announced that he was quitting racing because his fiancee hated it, wanted to build a big house, didn't want to be at the track where there was dirt and his smelly friends, and thought he was spending too much time and money on his racing. She very quietly commented about whether the relationship was a strong one if the fiancee was taking away his greatest passion in life........a couple of months later he took the car off the market and appeared at a race. His comment "I got rid of the fiancee...."

the good news for me is that my wife has not only been supportive but participates in DE's, edits the region newsletter, etc plus our kids have grown up around the track. There's something to be said about the instructor assigned to your kids reporting that they were on line first lap of their first school and understood the concepts (son - "Dad, do you think we haven't been listening all these years?")

sure, my trade off with my wife is that we go to plays and concerts and I don't fall asleep and I walk through art galleries and museums and have somewhat knowledgeable conversations with my art history major wife.

I'm sure its a tough call for you. The good news is PCA club racing will be there once your kids are grown.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:33 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 Nut
I wish it was like that for me, but my wife is simply not interested in races at all. My one daughter (7) is but my youngest (4) doesn't like the noise. They both grow tired very quickly of being at the track. However they both said they didn't want me to sell my race car. But again, my circumstances are different from yours. I envy you (in a good way).
Continue to have fun!!!!
i understand where you are coming from. When i drag raced my wife hated it, i even had a sponsor paying the bills. I was trying to get another drag car but love road racing so i am going to get a car and do some DE's while my 4 yr old son grows up. Doing de's will fill my speed rush and being at the track, and when my son is 6 we can race karts together and then i can hit some de's also.

It sure is tough to give up things like racing. I tried a harley it was ok and then i was going to pick up a ducati but the wife really doesnt want me on a bike, so i think the DE is a good compromise.

Quick Reply: Goodbye to Club Racing - for now.