Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A pass without a signal.......(G version)

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 03:59 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
RayS, anybody that knows me and my sense of humor would know those two posts mean the same thing....

BTW, here is the video, please let me know if I deserved a black flag......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPXvMX84yso
You deserve a black flag for starting this thread in the first place.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:00 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

let me know if I deserved a black flag......
Nope, and you said you didn't get one, so...what was the question again?
Old 07-14-2008, 04:01 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Paolo,

If it were me and I were following someone who is lost, as the driver in the red carrera seemed to be, I don't think I would be following him that closely. Missing apexes . . . increasing steering input (or at least not opening the wheel) several times while approaching track out . . . I mean . . . you could almost see the car starting to spin at various points. Did you spin him? Clearly not. Could you have been collected by him (or hit him)? That's what I would have been worried about. I mean . . . the spin wasn't surprising to me (even if you had not set it up). Did it surprise you?

I think he was going through enough traffic himself that he wasn't egregiously holding you back . . .at least not at first. But someone failing to point you by in the intermediate groups can be a sign that they are overwhelmed . . . and the video appeared to show that this driver was . . .

I think I would have watched this show from a bit more of a distance myself . . . or picked my pass point in a safer location . . .

But your textual setup for this video was a disaster. . . .
Attached Images  
Old 07-14-2008, 04:08 PM
Chris R.
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 26 Posts

You did nothing wrong...he spun and you stayed on the inside line through the duck head complex...no black flag needed nor were you pushing him too hard.
Some people are going to need to apologize...
Old 07-14-2008, 04:10 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian P
You deserve a black flag for starting this thread in the first place.
Agreed Brian,

That's it!! please see the definition of anticlimatic. BTW, you owe everyone who read this thread 10minutes of their lives back.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:14 PM
DanR
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

from what I see, you did nothing wrong in the video at all. As said, the driver seemed all over and maybe it would have been more prudent to give him more room, but you did not spin him, he did.

Maybe the original post language got some people off to a bad start because it dod not accurately portray what really happened ie you did not mention the spin at first which set this whole debarcal thread off
Old 07-14-2008, 04:14 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak
I fixed that for you.

http://www.vimeo.com/1264026
Gotta love that video.. Another example of over-aggressive dining cliques at work.

Paolo, you need a ghost writer as your humor eludes most it seems. If that video shows anything except that the red carerra was driving beyond his ability I don't see it.
BTW, how DARE you edit a post! Man-up!!
Old 07-14-2008, 04:16 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

RayS, anybody that knows me and my sense of humor would know those two posts mean the same thing....

BTW, here is the video, please let me know if I deserved a black flag......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPXvMX84yso
Fair enough, we have never met and I certainly don't know your humor. However, those two post are entirely different and the massive change makes the comments that Rennlisters like myself initially posted seem strange.

I only reposted your original post to give a proper context to those remarks.

Finally, I must say I think you've done youself an incredible disservice with this entire thread. In the video you posted you didn't appear to do anything that would justify a black flag IMHO. The situation shown in the video you posted bears little resemblance to the situation you described in your initial several posts on the matter.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:24 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,434 Likes on 768 Posts

Originally Posted by TD in DC
Paolo,

If it were me and I were following someone who is lost, as the driver in the red carrera seemed to be, I don't think I would be following him that closely. Missing apexes . . . increasing steering input (or at least not opening the wheel) several times while approaching track out . . . I mean . . . you could almost see the car starting to spin at various points. Did you spin him? Clearly not. Could you have been collected by him (or hit him)? That's what I would have been worried about. I mean . . . the spin wasn't surprising to me (even if you had not set it up). Did it surprise you?

I think he was going through enough traffic himself that he wasn't egregiously holding you back . . .at least not at first. But someone failing to point you by in the intermediate groups can be a sign that they are overwhelmed . . . and the video appeared to show that this driver was . . .

I think I would have watched this show from a bit more of a distance myself . . . or picked my pass point in a safer location . . .

But your textual setup for this video was a disaster. . . .
I have to agree with all of Todd's post.

Also, don't these guys give a wave of thanks to acknowledge point-bys? Paolo, WTF, man? A little etiquette goes a long way.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:24 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Umm... yeh...

What TD said... BIGTIME. That guy needed an instructor badly, and a brick under the gas pedal to boot. Just pretty totally awfully clueless. Quite obviously over his head. Maybe he is better than that, but this clip doesn't give me much hope.

Frankly, I fail to see where you did anything terribly wrong, in a driving sense. Yes... you were looking for a pass. Given the traffic, and the fact that he also has a "right" to get his own pass first if he wants, I'm not surprised he didn't give YOU one. If it were me, I would have let you go in there somewhere, I imagine.

In a judgement sense, yes, it was clear the guy was either spooked or challeneged by your presence. He made a very poor judgement to try and stay ahead of a clearly faster car. While I DO NOT think you were too close to him, you made a poor judgement in trying to "force" the issue, given that he was clearly beyond his limits. Past the point where he lost it, you are faultless in my view.

Has it been a rush to judgement, and/or a total mischaracterization of the facts before they were in evidence, or a total charade from the get go? Once again, it seems the answer could be yes. If you were trying to bate some folks here into spinning, you've done a masterfull job. There are drovers off and into every fence!
Old 07-14-2008, 04:48 PM
George S
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gary R.
how DARE you edit a post! Man-up!!
After 50+ hours we get a "damage contol" edit. Shame on you Doctor.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:50 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congratulations Paolo. You sucked a bunch of us into this and got many (including me) to comment on a situation that was not even close to what you originally described. Many experienced people clearly spent a fair amount of time trying to give you a well thought out answer to the question you posed.

But that was a setup and you fooled pretty much all of us. The advice was wasted, as was the time that so many people were willing to give to try to help you.

It was clever in the way you wasted so much combined time from this forum, that I suspect you now have a pretty long list of experienced people who are not ever going to offer any more help.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:53 PM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts

Fair enough on the video, Doc, I can add nothing. But exoneration on the vid doesn't change the very direct feedback you've gotten from the senior instructor present and others.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:55 PM
MTosi
User

Originally Posted by SundayDriver
Congratulations Paolo. You sucked a bunch of us into this and got many (including me) to comment on a situation that was not even close to what yo originally described. Many experienced people clearly spent a fair amount of time trying to give you a well thought out answer to the question you posed.

But that was a setup and you fooled pretty much all of us. The advice was wasted, as was the time that so many people were willing to give to try to help you.

It was clever in the way you wasted so much combined time from this forum, that I suspect you now have a pretty long list of experienced people who are not ever going to offer any more help.
It helped me understand the rules and the correct attitude/behavior for PCA DE's, as someone who has yet to participate in any, but will be soon (hopefully), so all is not lost.......
Old 07-14-2008, 04:59 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Are any situations in a DE where passing w/o a signal would be tolerated?
Seriously - do you expect someone to give you a point-by when they're mowing the grass? C'mon. Besides, the "pass me to the inside" vs "pass me to the outside" signal would change pretty fast when they're spinning based on the direction they were facing at the time. They would look like they were doing a one armed jumping-jack.

I have 2 primary issues:
1) The guy in front was missing apexes and looked to be getting loose in a few corners. But, you were riding his tail anyway. THEN, from the time he started to spin, it sounded like you were on WOT the whole time. Clearly that guy was so far off line that he wasn't going to make the turn without (1) slowing WAY down or (2) spinning. Either way, you should have been prepared for something long before you hit the throttle. Lastly, what if YOU started to break free at the SAME TIME? 13/13 - DE style. Perhaps a little more awareness was in order.

2) If you don't know that you can "pass" the typical version of a diabled or spun vehicle without a signal, perhaps you should re-evaluate your aptitude for this sport. If a guy is parked in the dirt, do you really want him waving his arms at you?

Somebody owes me $0.18 in electricity I wasted reading this thread.

-td

Quick Reply: A pass without a signal.......(G version)