Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A pass without a signal.......(G version)

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 05:52 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,433 Likes on 767 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris R.
Yeah but she's wearing an "F" car hat...try again please.
There are no Porsches in F1...and no chicks like that in ALMS.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:52 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris R.
Yeah but she's wearing an "F" car hat...try again please.
what hat?
Old 07-14-2008, 05:53 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TD in DC
what hat?
Exactly.

Canadians...sheesh...
Old 07-14-2008, 05:56 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

what were we talking about again?
Old 07-14-2008, 05:58 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, I don't normally get involved in these sort of posts. I am a little confused to some of these posts as the original message from Paolo was edited from him. I am guessing it wasn't recieved very well from the responses. I have had the pleasure of meeting Paolo at NHMS and I even went out with him and worked with him.

Paolo,
First, I love you passion for driving. I really do and I think you have some good skills. But like I said to you last fall at NHIS, I think you have a lot to learn and I wouldn't be so eager to move into black yet. Black is a big jump and personally I think you still need some instruction and you might have gotten out of yellow a little to fast even. You have a fast car and I think it masks a lot of your mistakes as many fast cars do. I think your line and judgement can be better and I would be happy to work on that with you at our next event. I do think you need to dial it back a little as you are driving hard and to close for white. There are only a few people I drive that close to and they are in RED and I have so much trust in them and I know exactly what they are going to do and they know what I am going to do. I personally, do not think you are ready for racing yet. I got involved in racing in the SCCA a few years back and I can tell you it is VERY different from DE. I hope you take this the right way because you are a great guy and I look forward to working with you in the future. Best wishes.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:06 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

FWIW The red Carrera in Boston's video had better lines in Temptation, Big Rock, Candy Mountain than Paolo. The car spun going into Beak a very tight decreasing radius right hander. beak is best approached from mid track, trail brake the snot out of the car and don't worry about exiting close to an parallel to the curbing since Throat which follows is a no brainer. The Red 911 failed to brake enough, turned in on the brakes and surprise-surprise, spun.

Paolo, you were not too close nor guilty of any wrong doing OTHER THAN STARTING THIS BLOODY THREAD ON FALSE PRETENSES.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:07 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

I too cant believe I've read so many (not all ) of the posts to try and find out what all the hoopla is all about!

Now that i see the video, no , NOTHING was done wrong. Anyone that would think that this was not a safe avoidance move, should be banned from all auto sports.

I see the point of all this point-by ad-nausia. It focuses the drivers to be aware of what is going on behind them, and teaches following drivers a little patience. In the end, I think its a little over the top. The old NASA rules of group 1 dictating passing only on designated straight, (not into turns) is better. Their advanced groups need to pass with care as well as being encouraged to use point bys.

The best part about this thread, is just like reading the girley magazines. I like the pictures.

mk

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
RayS, anybody that knows me and my sense of humor would know those two posts mean the same thing....

BTW, here is the video, please let me know if I deserved a black flag......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPXvMX84yso
Old 07-14-2008, 06:08 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

Yeah, I wanna see a larger version of the woman who is apparently wearing a ferrari hat.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:16 PM
Garen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't see the hat either. All I see are two hands in the way...

Paolo, your view would have been safer from a few feet back... Yeah, it would be tough to give a point in a spin, unless, of course, you're vin diesel with slow motion! other than that, nice job of hyping up this thread with your original, unedited post. I have to say that I got suckered into it as well as all others.

-Garen
Old 07-14-2008, 06:19 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 78 Posts

If we are done picking on Paolo, who I've met and is a terrific, well intentioned guy, I think it's important to remember that EVERYONE on the track, no matter the rules, has a responsibility to everyone else on the track. The faster drivers don't shoulder the entire burden of having a safe DE session. Even the sloooooow drivers can be to blame. Situational awareness is critical, particularly when you lose the second set of eyes in the right seat.

I'm by no means perfect and I constantly work on "eyes up" and "check mirrors" which is good since I get passed a lot.

And another thing! I wouldn't speak to a chick in a Ferrari hat, not even that one! She'll have to change hats to experience all that I have to offer
Old 07-14-2008, 06:36 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

My red 993 was NOT at Caleboogie.

Bunch of time wasting trolls.

Marc
Old 07-14-2008, 06:45 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by mhm993
Aholes:
My red 993 was NOT at Caleboogie.

Bunch of time wasting trolls.
Marc
No, but both it and the video linked were at Watkins Glen for the Potomac DE Marc... the video was taken in the White run group, if that helps..
Old 07-14-2008, 06:49 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Yeah, I wanna see a larger version of the woman who is apparently wearing a ferrari hat.
Lots of them here:

SHAZAMMMMMMMMMMM!!!

Old 07-14-2008, 07:09 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

First, I don't know Paolo and I've never driven that track before but there didn't look like anyone in that video should be in white. They all looked like Blue drivers to me. And slow ones at that.
And getting promoted to Black...FUGETABOUTIT. Paolo your line in that video was not what I want to see in any car in my run group. You were early in almost every corner...
Get an instructor, learn to be consistant and learn to time your passes so that you take advantage of your momentum...

BTW, I spent about a year in each run group and I don't regret the process at all. The rush to Red is rediculous IMHO

PS. VR keep the girls comming !!
Old 07-14-2008, 07:21 PM
MTosi
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
NOW we are getting somewhere!!!!!

VR if going to go OT lets at least keep it on marque

Quick Reply: A pass without a signal.......(G version)