Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Eagles Canyon w/NASA Oct11&12, Tracknotes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 09:48 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,433 Likes on 767 Posts

Good luck, Mark!!!
Old 10-13-2008, 12:36 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fun weekend !
Nice track !
Old 10-13-2008, 04:07 PM
redcar1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was fun. NASATX events are always good, and it was nice to have a new track.

Dave's notes were outstanding, and helped me get up to speed quickly. My fastest lap was Saturday morning on fresh tires in qualifying. Thanks to Dave.

Mark
Old 10-13-2008, 04:15 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Happy to help, Mark. That's why folks pay me tens of dollars for coaching...
Old 10-13-2008, 04:48 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,173 Likes on 577 Posts

word has it that a certain rookie won his first races...
Old 10-13-2008, 06:00 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Yes he did...and he texted me about it afterwards. He ROCKED!! But I'll let him tell us himself.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:08 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,173 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Yes he did...and he texted me about it afterwards. He ROCKED!! But I'll let him tell us himself.
I heard he just did everything opposite of your notes...
Old 10-13-2008, 06:10 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by eclou
I heard he just did everything opposite of your notes...
That's what I told him to do.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:32 PM
MCain
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This weekend was a blast from my perspective at the other end of the field from Mark. We had some good races in GTS3. I even managed to sneak onto the podium a few times. The weather was just fantastic and lots of great people to bs with.

ECR is a pretty fun track, but I'm glad I didn't go off. Looks scary when your eyes wander from the racing surface.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:38 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

ECR does not reward mistakes in any way, Martin.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:43 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 210 Posts

Great weekend! The racing in GTS was tight, behind Jay Matus in his 996 I think the only differences in times were tire related. Come to think of it, even Jay's times are largely tire related, tough to match the Hoosier 315s under the rear wheel wells. The 996 is a spectacular platform for this series. Of course Jay is also a wonderful driver.

Martin and I swapped finishing positions over the weekend, each taking two 2nd places and two thirds. I got him Saturday and he repayed the favor Sunday. Good stuff, I'd love to see more of you PCA and BMW guys come play with us next year.

The pavement at ECR held up great, no issues at all. It is VERY grippy in the high g corners, only watch out is that it changes quite a bit over the course of a lap due to the different surfaces. The straights are also pretty bumpy, but it didn't bother me as much as some others. I don't have as stiff a suspension as some others as spring rates and shock settings top out pretty low on most torsion bar set-ups. Most people seem to use the center of the track on the straights were it is smoother, only moving over to the outside when they reach the braking zone. I was able to cruise on the outside the whole time without upsetting the car too much.

Dave's track notes were a big help. Quite a few of us were walking around with copies and consulting them as we were learning on Friday. Thank you again, kind sir.

Yes, there was a certain unnamed rookie on the top step of the podium. Well done! This was after he suffered a massive tire failure the day before. The sidewall of the Toyo had a blow out for no apparent reason. From there the whole tire just came apart, I have to imagine that was Code Brown moment.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:29 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

My invoice to you all is in the mail....
Old 10-13-2008, 08:44 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,958 Likes on 556 Posts

I had a lot of fun watching all the good racing, and getting my first few fun experiences of real w2w environment stuff.

never had been to ECR before, was a really fun track although the bumpy braking zones definitely made me resistant to going as aggressive as "racing" would require in a spec class.

race one- was unable to dodge spec rx7 shrapnel in the chicane, punctured my left rear with 2 laps left...
race two- fresh tires, started 11th in Performance Touring (based on R1 semi-dnf), passed a bunch of people following green flag and under braking into T1-T2 chicane, lap 2, left front tire exploded between T3 and T4...which conveniently put me adjacent to the tow truck access road. nice view of the race- they should sell tickets for that part.

sleep on that, rookie!

sunday, spent the morning thinking happy thoughts:

Race one- won my class, finished behind 2 guys in higher classed cars, finished ahead of a few guys with higher, same and lower classed cars. watched a few guys go off in the braking zones at T3 and T6, saw a few guys go off at the T1-T2 chicane in front of me..."thanks for the help!"

Race two- same result, just a few different cars that went off in front of me- fuel light came on in the car with a bit over a lap to go, and was a bit nervous about getting stuck on track again so I eased it around and still managed to win my class.

our run group had spec racer fords, performance touring cars (S2000+highly modded hondas, highly modded miatas and other japanese cars gen1 and gen2 rx7, etc. ) and some weird looking legends cars as well as a few cars that looked like a cross between a 1950's F1 car mixed with a dirt track midget. the SRF cars had their own split start, but I wish we would have all gridded up together 35 strong!

NASA was extremely helpful and thanks to Eclou for introducing me to jay, shannon, viking and crew. I had a great time and can't wait for a few long stints in the upcoming enduro season. Glad to see everyone from here out there and lots of helpful advice and hints from the more experienced people was much appreciated!

I really enjoyed watching the group 7 races between the nascars and GTS euro racers, maybe next year for me!
Old 10-14-2008, 11:04 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey CJ, Did you notice your windows being any cleaner on your red car ?
Funny story about that.... see my mom is hanging out with me because she recently had some eye surgery and still doesn't see that well. She had decided the windows on the red car I was driving needed to be cleaned so she went and got window cleaner and then cleaned the windows, a lilttle later she realized she had done the wrong "red" car. We had a good laugh about it on the way home. Obviously my mom isn't into cars to get those two red cars confused !
Old 10-14-2008, 02:54 PM
MCain
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CJ, we met briefly on Sunday I think. I was the guy in the wheelchair with the E46 M3 in Group 7. I'm also the regional GTS Director for NASA Texas, so if ever decide to come race in GTS please don't hesitate to ping me if you have any questions or need any help.

Congrats on the wins!

Quick Reply: Eagles Canyon w/NASA Oct11&12, Tracknotes?