Sponsored by:

Time for a new helmet, questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 06:40 PM
jhg41977
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Time for a new helmet, questions

Its time to get a new helmet. The first one I bought was purchased online, a G-Force model. My first DE was approaching quickly and I needed a helmet. This time I wanted to take a bit of time to compare helmet construction and quality.

I went over to Stand 21 website and the use a new foam vs the old polystyrene. It is supposed to absorb impact better and also take multiple impacts better than tha polystyrene. Ok. They are outrageously expensive. Im not saying my head isnt worth it, I would just like to look around a bit more and see what other companies are doing.

Next I went to Arai. Nice website but aside from the fluff features like it looks cool etc. it was light on technical info.

Then on top G-Force. A little more info than Arai but not much. They also concentrate on fluff features.

I know there is the Snell rating and others that are similar. My wife got tossed off her horse a few years ago and was unconscious for an unknown amount of time, probably 5-10 minutes (she was riding alone). She no longer rides alone, at least that is what she tells me. Anyway, she was concerned about helmet safety after that and spent some time talking to manufacturers etc. They got into the different ratings helmets are tested for. The trouble was that a helmet may meet a rating but they do not release the actual score or test results. So some helmets may just pass, others may pass by a much higher margin.

I have been told in the past that the best helmet is one that fits you properly. I will of course do that. Is there another group/company/agency that does secondary testing and releases the results?

Thanks
Jim
Old 07-16-2014, 06:53 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good question. I recall Matt Romanowski talking about something along these lines about a year ago.

FWIW, I have a carbon fiber Stand 21 and am very happy with everything about it except for the chin strap, which has frayed a bit at the end. A new one is only a few dollars, though, so that's partly my fault for not changing it. Considering that you can use them for so long in a DE setting, I don't think they're a bad investment. They will also remake the padding and liner for you if yours wear out or require changing.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:54 PM
jhg41977
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I emailed Matt earlier
Old 07-16-2014, 08:01 PM
Krokodil
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

First, try them all on. Some folks have a Bell shaped head, while others fit Arai, etc.

I can never get comfortable in an Arai or Stand21 helmet - they just don't fit me right, but Bell helmets feel like putting on a finely tailored aticle. It is perfectly snug, but very comfortable.

The primary difference in price point seems to be driven by construciton and weight - not performance. Others can correct me if this is wrong.

Cheers,
Old 07-16-2014, 08:07 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Don't forget (low) weight as a major safety feature. Even with HANS, you want as little weight as possible pulling on your neck at impact.

After doing some research (I don't have the sites now, but there were few comparing helmets for weight) THIS G-force helmet came out with the most SA2010 lightness for the buck, by far -- even lighter than many $1000+ helmets. APEX are great (sponsors) to buy from and Linda is the expert for sizing/fit advice for your head-type over the phone.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:24 PM
zip465
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Started with a Bell M4 fit was great, bit heavy though. Moved to a Stilo ST4 Wide and love the fit, weight and features like the integral ear muffs & microphone.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:36 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 761 Likes on 499 Posts

I'll shoot you an email Jim. I just got home.

But, as far as Snell is concerned, a pass is a pass. Their equipment does not quantify how much better one helmet passes than another. Some of the manufacturers (Stand21 being one of them) do have test equipment that quantifies the tests, but I have not ever seen any results posted from them. Talking to Yves Morizot, the Stand21 founder and President, they take their safety equipment, testing, and standards higher than anyone else. A neat fact is they are one of a few (if not only) company that makes their own HANS devices rather than getting them from Hubbard Downing.

The FIA standard is tougher to pass than Snell, but makes the helmet more expensive.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:59 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

I had a Simpson Devil Ray Cf and really liked it, was light and fit me perfectly...The only problem I had was ear buds for the radio...It was a PIA to get them to stay in and I was constantly breaking wires or having them pop out when I pulled the helmet on...Got a Stilo with the built in speaker muffs...Best helmet I have ever worn. All fit a bit different though...I'd find a place that can send you a few different brands and get the one that suits you best. Apex Performance is
s awesome to deal with IMHO !
Old 07-16-2014, 11:03 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,241 Likes on 1,576 Posts

Isn't the Snell rating changing it in 2015? If you buy a helmet this year you won't be able to use it in 2015 when SA2015 goes into effect. I believe they go on sale in October 2015 and replace the SA2010. That's about fifteen months.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:36 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 761 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Isn't the Snell rating changing it in 2015? If you buy a helmet this year you won't be able to use it in 2015 when SA2015 goes into effect. I believe they go on sale in October 2015 and replace the SA2010. That's about fifteen months.
It will probably be late 2015 or most likely early 2016 when the Snell 2015 standard helmets are released. With most groups, that would mean that Snell 2005 helmets are no longer accepted. Snell 2010 helmets would be accepted until 2020 (or whenever the new standard comes out).
Old 07-17-2014, 12:07 AM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Stilo, especially if you have in car communications.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:21 AM
Vonschmidt
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on Stillo
Old 07-17-2014, 12:27 AM
promocop
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heard they are great The new BELL R7 Carbon (I wear one) is the lightest, most comfortable helmet (at least on MY head) that I have ever owned
Old 07-17-2014, 10:37 AM
Tim Webb
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I find it interesting that one cannot get a good fit with a Stand21. Why...becasue they will sit there with you and custom fit the bugger. I've tried many different helmets, but always come back to Stand21 becasue of the custom fit.

If you compare like products Stand21's pricing is not out of line. You can't compare an entry level Bell or Simpson with an ST21 EVOS. Apples and oranges....

Have you priced an FIA helmet?
Old 07-17-2014, 11:03 AM
certz
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by zip465
Started with a Bell M4 fit was great, bit heavy though. Moved to a Stilo ST4 Wide and love the fit, weight and features like the integral ear muffs & microphone.
That's funny, I started with the M4 also and moved to the Stilo this year - a local shop started carrying them so I finally got to try one on. I really like the Stilo and I do not think I will ever go back to ear plugs, the ear muffs are great.

Definitely try any helmet on for fit. I wore a large in the M4 and it was a little loose. I could not even get the Stilo large over my apparently fat head .

Quick Reply: Time for a new helmet, questions