Sponsored by:

"nuts and bolts" checklists

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 09:47 PM
kristap
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "nuts and bolts" checklists

Analogmike and Lvdell made some comments in this earlier thread which strengthened some concerns I have about my pre-track tech checks. Before each event, we check the standard items as guided by a checklist. The checklist is essentially the product of maintenance items *** DE tech forms. However, I wonder what sort of check would be required to preemptively id & address Blondurant's issue, "bolt backs out of the crank shaft pulley and shears an index pin". We're pretty thorough but maybe not thorough enough and that concerns me if we could be doing a better job (full rebuilds are not feasible).

I wonder how thorough or detailed are your checklists? What sort of experience or mishaps shaped them? Are crankshaft pulleys typically on a pre-track checklist or are good checklists typically more car specific and this might be appropriate on a Gt3?

Appreciate any thoughts you might have
Old 11-02-2008, 10:10 PM
GT3 Chuck
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

certainly appropriate if you have a lwfw mod on a GT3 and didn't swap pulleys....one of those car unique things that probably needs to be checked...just like the droplinks...the bottom line is...if you think it could fail check it...you are the final word on your safety...
Old 11-03-2008, 10:35 AM
Blondurant
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kristap
Analogmike and Lvdell made some comments in this earlier thread which strengthened some concerns I have about my pre-track tech checks. Before each event, we check the standard items as guided by a checklist. The checklist is essentially the product of maintenance items *** DE tech forms. However, I wonder what sort of check would be required to preemptively id & address Blondurant's issue, "bolt backs out of the crank shaft pulley and shears an index pin". We're pretty thorough but maybe not thorough enough and that concerns me if we could be doing a better job (full rebuilds are not feasible).

I wonder how thorough or detailed are your checklists? What sort of experience or mishaps shaped them? Are crankshaft pulleys typically on a pre-track checklist or are good checklists typically more car specific and this might be appropriate on a Gt3?

Appreciate any thoughts you might have
Thanks for the thread reemphasizing this! A list never did surface. I'm sure everyone is busy and it might take some time to compile. But it sure would help a newbie like me.

GT3 Chuck - I don't have a lwfw. That was one of the first questions my service tech asked. Thanks for your comments!

Quick Reply: "nuts and bolts" checklists