Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone running ITBs on a NA 996?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 10:11 AM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

so your current ones will work for a 3.4L 996. do you have airboxes like those on a gt3 RSR?
These are actually too small for a 3.4 engine at the present. We made them for the 3.2 engine taken to 3.6 liters, but utilizing stock sized valves and mildly ported heads. We'd need to increase the bore size of the T/B to 50mm to be effective enough on a 3.4 engine with ot's larger valves, bigger ports and added camshaft. I plan on doing this in '09, but we are so busy with internal reliability developments for the M96 that I don't have much time for testing and developing the T/B arrangement.

Jake this sounds very interesting. Would you indulge us with a picture or too. Also what effective improvement do you see in adding one of these to your boxster engines.

As for improvements, well these are only designed for performance enhanced engines that feature internal mods that boost reliability AND Performance and are not capable of being effectively tuned with the stock plenum/ industion arrangement. Applying these to an otherwise stock engine, or an engine that has only bolt on enhancements would generally result in less drive-ability and and RPM range that would only be effective on the track.

We have used these on smaller Boxster engines with the omission of vario cam and our solid lifter modification that allows for much higher safe RPM and for that application they really shine. Engines like this are maintenance intense and can't be owned by those who lack mechanical skills.

Also, isn't the intake plenum arrangement interchangeable between the 2.7, 3.2 and 3.4? I may likely have this wrong but I seem to recall a conversation during a boxster to 3.4 engine swap and the potential reuse of the 2.7s intake plenum due to clearance issues in the boxster engine bay withe the 3.4 motor.
Yes, most all the parts are interchangeable, and that means the 3.4 suffers from "Generic development" meaning that a Plenum that is effective on a 2.5 or 2.7 engine is certainly going to be inadequate on a 3.4 with larger valves and a much bigger bore, and vice versa. Most aspects of the M96 are like this and were done to boost the ability to produce vehicles faster with less component variance, thus reducing costs and increasing profits.

Thanks and always, awesome work. I love that you will potentially be our source for hop ups like the Type IV world has enjoyed for years
we already are that source and have been working on this for the past 3.5 years behind closed doors. I have approached this engine with the same intensity and dedication as the Type 4 and we have already gotten results that are beyond comprehension by most.

Jake, any thoughts on becoming a Rennlist Sponsor? You're getting good pub here.
I have considered it, but at the present we are spending thousands of dollars per month on development and testing of the engine and feel thats where our monsy is best spent, rather than advertising since we MUST address the issues with this engine before we can sel a product worthy of my name.
I'd be open to chatting with the admin here about the detailos associated with being a Sponsor of the site.

Quick Reply: Anyone running ITBs on a NA 996?