Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thanks to those who have a thankless job (the moderators)...

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 11:28 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thanks to those who have a thankless job (the moderators)...

I'd like to say "thank you" to the moderators for doing a thankless job.

It's a job that none of us would want. There's a fine line that must be struck in the public arena. One person's right to exercise freedom can be the loss of freedom for another. And the moderators are asked to sort it all out.

When a man posts an avatar of a woman licking herself, it's his freedom. But what about the woman who comes on Rennlist to talk about PORSCHES?! Isn't her freedom to feel welcome in this community taken away? Why should a young girl with an interest in racing cars have to read posts with language that none of us would want our mothers or daughters reading?

For that matter, why should guys have to?

I'm no prude and I am not in favor of making this adult-oriented forum G-rated. But to allow it to become X-rated is just as bad.

I come to Rennlist because I have FRIENDS here. Rennlist is my neighborhood. It's my community. It's my circle of friends. Moreso than any other place on earth.

I'd be lost without the people and mentors I've found here. I'd like to personally thank those "corporate monsters" that provide this forum. And thanks to the "Big Brother" moderators that lord over us.

You do a job I wouldn't do in a million years. And, dudes and dudettes, you do it with patience, good-will, and calm that I would never have.
Old 12-25-2008, 11:42 PM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should probably take this down asap, 911, as all that will likely happen is you'll get flames thrown at you. I love everyone here I suspect, but I am seriously considering, even though it started with my love for the HWFMR folks, of resigning. I don't think my skin is thick enough, nor my education high enough to help folks see what is right and wrong on the list. I have a lifetime membership (I messed that title up when I tried earlier to take the moderator label off -- I'm sure it will be fixed eventually), so I will always at least lurk. But beyond that, I think I've gotten in over my head trying to fix as simple of a request as a sleezy avatar. Sigh. Put a fork in me, I think I am done.

Thanks, however, for the very kind words. You made a lot of very valid points, especially to me, a female racer myself. Take care,
Old 12-25-2008, 11:59 PM
GT3 Chuck
Rennlist Member

hey Bonni, don't let it get you down...it's like working with a bunch of people who have become buddies and then you are made their boss...oops...makes things difficult...and you were tossed a rotten fish in my estimation and maybe a more experienced mod should have taken that one on...911 left out the best part...most mods I know don't get paid it's all volunteer and you take it because you want to give something back to something that has given so much to you...believe me I know all too clearly what you are experiencing and I hope the rest of the members, many of whom have been long time friends will give you some slack....
Old 12-26-2008, 12:13 AM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonster
You should probably take this down asap, 911, as all that will likely happen is you'll get flames thrown at you. I love everyone here I suspect, but I am seriously considering, even though it started with my love for the HWFMR folks, of resigning. I don't think my skin is thick enough, nor my education high enough to help folks see what is right and wrong on the list. I have a lifetime membership (I messed that title up when I tried earlier to take the moderator label off -- I'm sure it will be fixed eventually), so I will always at least lurk. But beyond that, I think I've gotten in over my head trying to fix as simple of a request as a sleezy avatar. Sigh. Put a fork in me, I think I am done.

Thanks, however, for the very kind words. You made a lot of very valid points, especially to me, a female racer myself. Take care,
Bonnie,
I feel for you with all the personal attacks you had to deal with, especially from people you thought were friends and would have treated you better. 911Vet is showing some real backbone posting this. Polite comments are appropriate but I assure you that anyone who even makes this the tiniest bit personal will get an immediate vacation. She has clarified, in a way that many seem unwilling to understand when we discuss PMs, exactly what has become wrong about Rennlist that we intend to make right.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:21 AM
DanR
Drifting

Bonnie,

said before, tough job and if you do it perfect you get little praise, but make an unpopular call (which mahy not even be your personal opinion) and get flamed for it. Keep smiling and thanks
Old 12-26-2008, 12:40 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 167 Posts

Yes, being a mod is a thankless but necessary job but it will much tougher if you take it personally and debate / defend your actions in public. Just like managing people, you need to be dispassionate about it and do what's necessary.

BTW. My six year old daughter saw Colin's avatar and noted that "she needs a bra"
Old 12-26-2008, 12:51 AM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry, but I basically agree with somebody enforcing some kind of rules about avatars. I'll admit that I sometimes read rennlist when I'm at work, and while maybe I shouldn't do that, I shouldn't have to worry about getting a sexual harassment lawsuit thrown at me simply because I read rennlist.

Yes, I understand that I can turn avatars off, but if we allow people to show whatever they want for avatars, and since most people see avatars, it's not too difficult to believe that people might start thinking that NSFW images can be shown in posts as well.

I like Colin and I found the humor in his avatar when he was a D class racer, but the avatar has been irrelevant for several years now. I'm not sure, but I think the last time he changed it, he was a GTC1 guy and no longer had car #38. Now, there is no wit in the avatar, it's simply meant to be provocative.
Old 12-26-2008, 02:44 AM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

I appreciate the mods doing their jobs until they start talking about nameless people making complaints about avatars. When really it's just a select few. Colin's av has been up for YEARS and "suddenly" he gets asked to remove it. Absurd.
Old 12-26-2008, 03:45 AM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

***In tears, but thanks EVERYONE. I need sleep now . . . will try at this again tomorrow if that is okay. Good or bad, we are an evolving entity -- let us please give each ohter that respect.

HUGS!!!
Old 12-26-2008, 10:43 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 46 Posts

Like police, moderators don't make the laws they in-force so they have my sympathy in that regard.
That said, they are the unfortunate lightning rod for bad laws, or guidelines in this case- not fair perhaps but a fact of life.

I'm a libertarian and believe in self-determination- not State determination. I consider this an adult site unsuitable for a variety of reasons for minors. And not because of Colin's avatar. Perhaps we need a new constitution and supporting guidelines that is more in line with the majority- rather than the minority. And if I have that wrong, and I AM part of the minority, I along with others that feel the same way should move on. Last time I looked access to this site was voluntary- no one is putting a gun to my head.

But I do love this place and hope we can fix it. Perhaps mods can mark threads as containing potentially rude, salacious or even politically incorrect material. You see the "rating" and if you vote with your mouse to open and accept the risk, or stay out. The choice is yours.
Old 12-26-2008, 03:04 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

What if I'm a Seminole and can't stand the sight of a Gator avatar? What then? Please tell me something can be done about this.....
Old 12-26-2008, 04:02 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Hang in there Bonnie.
Old 12-26-2008, 04:45 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by gbaker
Hang in there Bonnie.
+1.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:06 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by gbaker
Hang in there Bonnie.
+ 1

You might find it easier if you emulate a strong personality type when performing moderator duties.....say a drill instructor.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:11 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Bonnie's new avatar:

or,

Quick Reply: Thanks to those who have a thankless job (the moderators)...