Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Budget 944 Turbo GT3 Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2022, 11:17 AM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 184 Posts

Now that's a turn of events! More details please. Block size, heads, tuning, oiling, cooling etc?

How's it been running? How do you like the debond splitter? I have been running plywood to date so curious. Where are you sourcing? How high is your splitter off the pavement? Do you remove the bumper to load?
Old 11-28-2022, 10:32 PM
hp18racer
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

It's an LS1 from a C5 corvette. 5.6L, completely stock motor internals and stock 2001 corvette tune. It does have an external oil cooler. I did a ford hydroboost for power brakes and a turn 1 power steering pump. Baffled oil pan. I used a drive by wire throttle so I can detune it to about any shape curve I want. I bought the swap components from Texas Performance Concepts, very happy with the parts and the support.

The motor runs great. It made 310hp to the wheels on the dyno. I decided to try the LS route to get fuel and maintenance cost down.

For now I am going to race COMMA at Hallett and probably NASA next year in ST3. I might do WRL with it.

I have tried 'bebond' (solid black abs core) and am now making a 'dibond' (honeycomb core) splitter. Hallett is very splitter unfriendly to offs, so I have it quite high at 4". There is a sign company just a couple of miles from where I work that sells the material. The one in the picture has been damaged and flattend with a hammer several times. I am in the process of making a new one. It is a reasonable alternative to plywood.

I can just barely get the car on and off the trailer or my lift as it is with creative positioning of boards as I drive it on and off. I am building another splitter that is made to be easily removable and is just a little longer. I'll post pictures if it works like I plan it to.

Last edited by hp18racer; 11-28-2022 at 10:53 PM.
Old 11-29-2022, 01:19 PM
Nowanker
Burning Brakes

Location: Formerly the DPRK, now seeking political asylum in Oregon
Received 387 Likes on 252 Posts

Missed your thread when it was new........
A good read!
It was deja vu for the issues I worked through on mine.
It was fast as sh*t, but after the 3rd (or was it the 4th?) engine failure, I parked it for an M3.
Still decently fast, and ran for years without issue.

Resurrected the 944, with an engine swap .
More Deja vu.
Went with the 1.8T swap instead of the LS.
Kept it all German for NASA GTS.

Good luck next year!
I hope to do a full season as well.
Old 11-29-2022, 09:40 PM
hp18racer
Rennlist Member

In the last race I did with the turbo motor the starter failed, I had an exhaust leak at the turbo melt the brake fluid reservoir, the clutch fork failed and a fresh rebuild of the dry sump pump leaked like crazy.

I think the exhaust design on the 944 turbo puts too much stress on the pipes and joints when it gets really hot with the way it is wrapped around the motor. Something needs to be fundamentally different for it to be reasonably reliable at high boost.

The factory clutch with the release fork is very short life if it needs to hold substantially more than stock power.

It hurts to give up on the Porsche setup, I still haven't sold any of it off yet. A super charger and a lindsey twin disk chevy style clutch slave cylinder might do better.... Anyone want to sell me a 944 turbo car without a motor? :O

Last edited by hp18racer; 11-29-2022 at 09:51 PM.
Old 11-29-2022, 10:44 PM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 269 Likes on 173 Posts

@hp18racer I've got a 944 turbo chassis with a 400 hp motor (needing rebuild) and an LSD trans I'm selling if you're interested $3000
Old 11-30-2022, 01:17 PM
Nowanker
Burning Brakes

Location: Formerly the DPRK, now seeking political asylum in Oregon
Received 387 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by stownsen914
@hp18racer I've got a 944 turbo chassis with a 400 hp motor (needing rebuild) and an LSD trans I'm selling if you're interested $3000
And a screamin' deal at that price!
Odd that all the 951 race car engines seem to need rebuilding.
He said, facetiously....
I would have been so much farther ahead to keep my M3 and part out the 944.
But damn, I just couldn't do it. It still makes me smile.
Old 11-30-2022, 01:50 PM
MSTACH
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by hp18racer
It's an LS1 from a C5 corvette. 5.6L, completely stock motor internals and stock 2001 corvette tune. It does have an external oil cooler. I did a ford hydroboost for power brakes and a turn 1 power steering pump. Baffled oil pan. I used a drive by wire throttle so I can detune it to about any shape curve I want. I bought the swap components from Texas Performance Concepts, very happy with the parts and the support.

The motor runs great. It made 310hp to the wheels on the dyno. I decided to try the LS route to get fuel and maintenance cost down.

For now I am going to race COMMA at Hallett and probably NASA next year in ST3. I might do WRL with it.

I have tried 'bebond' (solid black abs core) and am now making a 'dibond' (honeycomb core) splitter. Hallett is very splitter unfriendly to offs, so I have it quite high at 4". There is a sign company just a couple of miles from where I work that sells the material. The one in the picture has been damaged and flattend with a hammer several times. I am in the process of making a new one. It is a reasonable alternative to plywood.

I can just barely get the car on and off the trailer or my lift as it is with creative positioning of boards as I drive it on and off. I am building another splitter that is made to be easily removable and is just a little longer. I'll post pictures if it works like I plan it to.
Come to WRL,
We are the only team with 944 LS2 swapped in GTO class
We are at COTA this weekend!
Old 11-30-2022, 08:19 PM
hp18racer
Rennlist Member

MSTACH - Good luck at COTA! I have raced WRL for several years in an E36 BMW and had some really great fun there. I want to develop a little more confidence in the reliability of my setup before doing an endurance event.

stownsen914 - PM sent.

Last edited by hp18racer; 11-30-2022 at 08:30 PM.
Old 12-03-2022, 01:54 PM
joseph mitro
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 159 Posts

oh wow, cool to see this thread!
I was at Hallett when you ran COMMA a few months ago. I have the red 924 Carrera GT look car and came to check yours out briefly.
Good luck with the new motor and updates!
Old 12-07-2022, 12:32 AM
hp18racer
Rennlist Member

You have done some REALLY nice work on the 924. I hope to see you again in the spring!

Quick Reply: Budget 944 Turbo GT3 Build