Sponsored by:

Toyo R888s, year two?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 03:20 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 829 Likes on 543 Posts
Default Toyo R888s, year two?

Yes, it's yet another 888 thread, hopefully the new year will bring new opinions.

Another fine year has passed and many of you have probably used up, (at least), 1 or 2 sets of these tires.

General consensus I’ve gleaned from cresearch and conversations = pretty good grip from ~ H/C #3 until they die, (which usually occurs before they cord).

True?
False?

I’m looking for an R compound tire to be used @ Short Track and Time Trial style events, probably always in dry conditions.
I'm not looking at "slicks" at this time.

My goal is not to have minimum lap times, I just want tires with “reliable grip” and “acceptable longevity” while I concentrate on learning to drive. I currently use Yoko Advan AD07 street tires which are noticeably better than my previous KDW’s.
My car is a 3300 lb 993 C4S that is unmodded save for;
Good seats and harnesses
PSS10’s
moderately agressive alignment (-2.1 front camber, -2.0 rear camber, essentially 0 front toe).

I’ll probably run 235 – 40 X 18 fronts and 285 or 295 – 30 X 18 rears on 996 TT wheels.

I guess my questions are;

1. Did you buy the R888s just because you “had to” when the RA-1s went out of production?
2. Would you buy them again?
3. What other options would you recommend? I’d really like to try the Nitto NT01, but the rear tires sizing skips from 275s to 315’s.
4. Any guesses on how many H/C I can expect with a 3300 lb car using the 888s?

Looking for input soon please since WSIR TT is coming soon.

Thanks

Craig
Old 01-03-2009, 03:42 PM
boss351
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in a similar boat as you, I used R888s last year, one set,my first R compounds, on my 996TT and was really pleased with them, even though my car could use more front and rear camber. I got 5-1/2 track days from them and some 500+ road miles getting to and from tracks at least. Instructors/passengers were impressed with the grip as much as I was.. Now I need to decide in the next week or two what to replace them with, another set of R888's or try something different (really between Michellin MPSC's and Nitto NT01's, the MPSC's I can get in the exact sizes, the Nitto's I will have to go fatter and am not 100% certain yet I wont suffer some kind of rub on the 315 rears on the stock rims).

Watching your thread with interest..
Old 01-03-2009, 05:33 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. Did you buy the R888s just because you “had to” when the RA-1s went out of production?
RA-1s are still in production. But to answer your question yes because that's all that was available in my size at Buttonwillow the day i was racing.
2. Would you buy them again?
No way, stiffer sidewall then the RA-1, same compound but I dont' like their behavior. RA-1s are faster per the World challenge teams.
3. What other options would you recommend? I’d really like to try the Nitto NT01, but the rear tires sizing skips from 275s to 315’s.
Nittos are the same compound but much much better in construction, closer to the RA-1s. They are fat though, I rubbed in front until i rolled my fenders, but my set up is VERY aggressive. Change your swaybar one more hole to the hard side.
4. Any guesses on how many H/C I can expect with a 3300 lb car using the 888s?
Damn, I got 2-3 race weekends so thats 12-18. Literally when the V shaped grooves are gone throw them out.

Ah, different story there. I'll be there as well. TT's are different then DE's and race weekends as you well know and you have 2 conflicting goals. 1: lowest lap times for timed runs, and 2: longevity so you need 2 different tires. In addition, the soft tires like hoosier cannot be driven on the street so you have to trailer or you will use up your tires on the way to the track and may get hurt as the tire is very thin and damages easily on the road.

Fast lap times in a 3 lap time trial require that the tires get to temp in one lap. That requires a very soft tire like a Hoosier or V710. But unfortunately if you use them for a TT weekend with 6 sessions per day they will be gone by the timed runs. Hoosiers have 8 good HCs in them for example after that you're drifting.

Longevity and also cost effectiveness, you are looking at MSPC's at around 25 HCs or so, RA-1s at a whopping 40 hc's (half that in the rear) R-888s or Nittos. I'm a big fan of Nitto's they are closest to the venerable RA-1. MSPCs are the gold standard for most porsches and is reasonable forgiving, but if you exceed it's limits it will let go without much warning like a slick and will NOT warm up in a lap for a TT.

My advice for you is to not worry about your times and worry about your driving. You are moving to your first R-comp from street tires so the Nittos will be fine for you. They are very predictable and consistant after the initial block squirm and mould release slipperyness. You will not get everything out of a hoosier and will be wasting your money. Yes hoosiers are 2-3 sec faster then RA-1's in the right hands, but it doesn't sound like that's your level at this time.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:27 PM
171mph
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by va122
1. MSPCs are the gold standard for most porsches and is reasonable forgiving, but if you exceed it's limits it will let go without much warning like a slick and will NOT warm up in a lap for a TT.

i found IF if the ambient temp is hot enough then mpsc are fine for TT. by hot enough i mean 80+. i use them in the spring/summer/fall. by second lap they are fine (but you have to push on the first lap).

they are far and away my favourite tire of mpsc, ra1, nitto (i don't count the 888s since they should be ignored).

prob with nittos is the first day is a throwaway - they squirm. mpsc are good out of the box and will last 5-6 days.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:31 PM
va122
Drifting

I really want to try shaved nittos, i really hope they will perform as shaved RA-1s.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:48 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by 171mph
i found IF if the ambient temp is hot enough then mpsc are fine for TT. by hot enough i mean 80+. i use them in the spring/summer/fall. by second lap they are fine (but you have to push on the first lap).

they are far and away my favourite tire of mpsc, ra1, nitto (i don't count the 888s since they should be ignored).

prob with nittos is the first day is a throwaway - they squirm. mpsc are good out of the box and will last 5-6 days.
I'm not sure why you say the R888s should be ignored. Obviously you don't like them but others do. I am into my 3rd set and I find they get to temp very quickly and offer plenty of longevity. Not a wet weather tyre though. From what I've read the Nittos are made of the same compound. I've also heard plenty of people complain about the MPSCs not getting to heat quick enough for this sort of events. There was some info in the US that the R888s had to be at some crazy hot psi like 39-44psi! This was wrong and I believe it's been revised. Perhaps this is why some people had issues with them in the past?
Old 01-03-2009, 08:25 PM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

i had a great experience with the R888's last season & i also had them heat cycle out before losing the tread. i used them for track days / DE's and not for any racing.

a few thoughts:

- after asking many people around tracks and online, the R888 became my first choice based on the collective opinion that it was by far the best tire with very high performance for the $$
- Hoosiers are out for me because they're not street legal & i drive to/from the track in my 997
- the Michelin sport cups are very very pricey
- i'm referring to 19" here. from my understanding, the porsche N spec for the michelin 19's is different from the 18's. lots of people complian about and avoid the 19" michelins for Porsche which is why i avoided them
-i hear that we'll all have to reevaluate the bang for the buck issue as the Toyo's have gone up in price significantly. bob woodman tires and Vilven tires are aparently charging $380 for the rear tires, again in the 19 inch size
- apparently heat cycling adds a bunch of longevity to the R888s - which Vilven does but i'm told bob woodman does not

i'm hopeful the new pricing is a result of the extremes of the oil prices and will come down. of course, the toyos became very popular in part because of the price / performace equation so we'll see.

i'm also very curious to see more opinions on this topic.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:32 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Kinda in the same boat. I have run RA1 and now R888. The 888's were OK but I still have not found a sweet spot for them. Looking for another set for this year and I find I can get the NT01 for about the same cost as the 888's. Hoosiers would run me over $200 more per set, and that's just too expensive. Need to work more on my driving before I start spending that much more to buy time.

My concern is that everyone says the 888's are not good in the wet, but I need a wet tire here in Portland. Hate to try and track down a set of RA1's just to keep them in the background in case of rain.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:09 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by schwank

My concern is that everyone says the 888's are not good in the wet, but I need a wet tire here in Portland. Hate to try and track down a set of RA1's just to keep them in the background in case of rain.
I think a good Wet tire R compound tire is the P corsa system tire. its just expensive. OEM tire on the 997 3 in April of 07.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:33 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

this has some good info. from my point of view (lap times at the track) all the above R compound tires are very close (some I think are even the same compound) so pick what you like. then run Hoosiers and you wont have to worry about the other choices anymore!!

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...ack-tires.html
Old 01-04-2009, 12:12 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,494 Likes on 2,274 Posts

like 171 mph, i dont really like R888.
they are not bad, but they aren't all that great.
when they are at their best, it's almost as good as mpsc, in fact, my fastest laps on my local tracks were all on 888's. but i still dont like them. when new, they squirm. after they hit 3/32" left, they are HC'd out. sure, i can shave them and they will be better. but at that point, their price and longevity is no better than hoosiers.

i would take RA1 or NT-01 over 888 anyday.
i have ran about 8 sets of those last year. i have given them more htan enough chance.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:31 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Interesting points. I think it sounds like the dynamics of the rear engined - rear drive car is a lot different to the front - rear drive cars perhaps?
By the way, we pay about $650 per 285/30x18" for a R888 out here so be thankful for the cheap tyres you get!
Also what sort of h/c do you get out of slicks as I am tossing up what class to run in the upcoming season?
Old 01-04-2009, 12:44 AM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 829 Likes on 543 Posts

First, thanks to all for taking the time to let me know your thoughts.

[QUOTE=va122;6144355]1. Did you buy the R888s just because you “had to” when the RA-1s went out of production?
RA-1s are still in production. But to answer your question yes because that's all that was available in my size at Buttonwillow the day i was racing.

hmmmmmmm if you can point me to a vendor that sells RA-1s in my sizes, i'll send you a fine malted beverage .
<snip>

Ah, different story there. I'll be there as well. TT's are different then DE's and race weekends as you well know and you have 2 conflicting goals. 1: lowest lap times for timed runs, and 2: longevity so you need 2 different tires. In addition, the soft tires like hoosier cannot be driven on the street so you have to trailer or you will use up your tires on the way to the track and may get hurt as the tire is very thin and damages easily on the road.

<snip>

My advice for you is to not worry about your times and worry about your driving. QUOTE]

I agree completely, even though i will be driving a TT, it's primarily because i want to drive and learn at an interesting track, not to place on the podium :-) .
Originally Posted by 333pg333
I'm not sure why you say the R888s should be ignored. Obviously you don't like them but others do. I am into my 3rd set and I find they get to temp very quickly and offer plenty of longevity.
<snip>
WOW, three sets! You must like them. What are you driving? .
Originally Posted by brendorenn
i had a great experience with the R888's last season & i also had them heat cycle out before losing the tread. i used them for track days / DE's and not for any racing.

<snip>

i'm also very curious to see more opinions on this topic.
i certainly hope that we both, (and more), learn from this .
Originally Posted by mooty
when they are at their best, it's almost as good as mpsc, in fact, my fastest laps on my local tracks were all on 888's. but i still dont like them. when new, they squirm. after they hit 3/32" left, they are HC'd out. sure, i can shave them and they will be better. but at that point, their price and longevity is no better than hoosiers.

i have ran about 8 sets of those last year. i have given them more htan enough chance.
i too would prefer either of the two you mention, but am told by two vendors in AZ that RA-1s are NOT available in sizes of my interest.
Now another question, is it worth considering running the Nitto NT01 in the 275-35 size since the 315's are definately too wide? In theory, that might make a car that understeers with 285-295 rears seem to understeer a tad less?
but
Is that worth the loss of overall grip?

Yes :-) , i am most likely over-analyzing this and should just go out and drive

blue skies

Craig
Old 01-04-2009, 12:52 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Quote:
"WOW, three sets! You must like them. What are you driving? ."

I think you're asking me a question? I'm driving what's in my avatar. Modified 951. It will have well over 450whp soon so tyres will be important.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:01 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty

Mooty I've run RA1's and R888's and they both squirm at full tread. I liked the stiffer side wall on the 888's. The RA1's seemed to move around and feel more dull in the steering over the 888's. However for DE's it really does not matter all that much because I am no professional anyway.

My concern right now is from what I've been told is my car is set up for 19's and that is why it always felt more presice even on the stock PS2's over any r comp I tried on 18's. So with my new 2009 C2S I am wonder if I should get a set of 19" track wheels and 888's or MPSC to fit?

Quick Reply: Toyo R888s, year two?