Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

serious question about 5 hr energy commercials

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 04:17 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 40 Posts

The team I sometimes race with in Grand Am Koni is sponsored by "Performance Drink" (a very generic name for a brand...). The drivers and crew really like it and use it. Craig Stanton is one of the best fit and most health conscious drivers in the USA (Iron man) so if he likes it, it must be ok.

Last edited by analogmike; 01-26-2009 at 08:32 PM.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:45 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

I recommend that you look at driving a car as you would any athletic endeavor. Stay if good physical condition. Get enough sleep before and event. Eat well always. Stay hydrated. Use real rehydration formulations instead of the sweat stuff.

Caffeine has been shown in the right doses to increase athletic performance. It does not last 5 hours. There are drawbacks to its use.

"Natural supplements" are loosely regulated by the government. They do not have to prove efficacy or safety as do prescription drugs.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:54 PM
RQ_GT3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get a lot of that particular product for free in triathlon "goodie bags" and expos. Don't dare to try it though. Don't know any peers that use it either.

The caffeine is just a smaller factor - ok but since it is a diuretic plan accordingly during events. B vits are always good. Not sure what else could be in it but endurance folks pay a lot of attention to nutrition and there is no magic answer in a 3oz bottle.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:38 AM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

i tried that FRS stuff that Lance Armstrong endorses. I felt tired if i did not keep on taking it so i stopped and just went back to 3/4 water with a 1/4 powerade
Old 01-26-2009, 02:48 PM
JimmiLew
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That 5 hour energy stuff is just a marketing gizmo. It doesn't really do anything for you. I tried it once and all it did was make me feel like crap. Drinking Red Bull is even worse. Major caffeine and sugar high followed by major crash. I cant believe people drink that stuff. Yuck!

We have talked about the importance of nutrition and hydration many times. The answer is the same each time. Car racing is an athletic event. Hence, you must treat your body as an elite athlete would if you want to get the most out of it.

Walk around the paddock at a pro race and see what foods the teams have for their drivers. You will see Gatorade, banannas, apples, powerbars, energy gels, and all the like.

Craig Stanton uses this stuff: http://www.glycomax.com/ It is custom designed for his blood sugar and metabolism levels.

I like this stuff: http://www.accelerade.com/ I race and do IronMan Triathlons. I fuel up for a race just as I would a Triathlon. At the end of a 1.5 hour enduro, I am fresh and ready to go for a run.

So yes, fitness and nutrition play a significant role is how well you can perform in auto racing. The fitter, the better! Just aks Craig Stanton. He is the man!

JL

Quick Reply: serious question about 5 hr energy commercials