Sponsored by:

serious question about 5 hr energy commercials

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 10:10 AM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Default serious question about 5 hr energy commercials

ok racers, do you think its right that 5 hr energy shows racers using their product, is it really a drink like gatorade or powerade, or more of a drug since it gives off this boost. I am a little upset they show a young wallace using this stuff or do you think he doesnt use it?

Has anyone tried it? I have used red bull when racing, but i take one little can and have a around a half a dixie cup before i go out for a run.

I am not looking to offend anyone just stating how i feel

thanks
Old 01-25-2009, 10:19 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,437 Likes on 769 Posts

I have never seen these commercials. However, I cannot remember if I have EVER purchased a profuct based on a commercial.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:24 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I stick with plain old water and "healthy food" when on the track, especially events like Cups & Saucers, Drive Into Fall, etc. (ie: 7-9 hours of track time in 2 days at Watkins Glen). Don't need or want the suger, corn syrup, caffeine, etc. By sticking with water I avoid any highs and lows - just what you don't want is to crash from sugar / caffeine toward the end of the day (Red Bull Mist).
Old 01-25-2009, 10:30 AM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by RonCT
I stick with plain old water and "healthy food" when on the track, especially events like Cups & Saucers, Drive Into Fall, etc. (ie: 7-9 hours of track time in 2 days at Watkins Glen). Don't need or want the suger, corn syrup, caffeine, etc. By sticking with water I avoid any highs and lows - just what you don't want is to crash from sugar / caffeine toward the end of the day (Red Bull Mist).

see that is the thing, they say no crash. My thought is that we are telling kids to stay away from drugs, but then we show young racers drinking this stuff. May be i am making more of this than it is.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:32 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,437 Likes on 769 Posts

Now you understand why the guy who owns Red Bull also owns not one but TWO Formula 1 teams.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:40 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

What are the ingredients of this 5-hour stuff? Is it all natural protein, sugars, etc.? Is it a drug or just a "meal in a glass"? Reminds me of steroids vs. protein shakes - there's a huge difference.

Curiosity got the best of me...
http://www.5hourenergy.com/ingredients.asp

Just looked over their 3 formulas - doesn't look like that much caffeine...

Hard to tell - comes off as an "all natural" supplement, but then I see caffeine and other things that hint at "cheater" ingredients. You know what I mean - "All natural energy drink!" (sub title - loaded with sugar and caffeine).

But I see your point - encouraging kids to buy / consume things that may not be good for them. Sort of like saying to the young body builders "Why eat right and build slowly when you can pop this pill or shoot this up and do it in half the time..."

Maybe this sort of thing is legitimate, don't know enough about chemistry.

I'll end with this - in all my years of driving on the track, I've never had a situation where I've wanted or needed more "energy"... I think there have been maybe 2 times when I've ended the day early and both times it was when dehydration caught up with me (one day was after 2 hard days at Watkins Glen at 98 degrees and humid).
Old 01-25-2009, 10:49 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had it at national sales meetings after a few nights of 4 hours of sleep. Works for me...
Old 01-25-2009, 11:16 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It doesn't appear to be much different, if at all, than the array of "energy drinks" that have been out there for years.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:24 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

"Moychendizing - it's where all the money is made" Name that quote

So, what we have is the same old stuff in a different wrapper with a big marketing budget?
Old 01-25-2009, 11:30 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by roberga
I have had it at national sales meetings after a few nights of 4 hours of sleep. Works for me...
When I was your age sleep was a waste of time
Old 01-25-2009, 11:31 AM
THXBABE
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is a mega dose of b vitamins and a bit of caffeine. I have used it once and it worked as advertised. Subtle energy boost and no crash.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:34 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Usually B12 and Caffeine, check serving sizes per bottle though. One small bottle I saw, easy to consume in a gulp was considered 4 servings, each serving was equal to a large cup of coffee in caffeine which made it like downing 4 large cups of coffee in a gulp. Caffeine = dehydration = not good for racing.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:03 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RonCT
"Moychendizing - it's where all the money is made" Name that quote

So, what we have is the same old stuff in a different wrapper with a big marketing budget?
I hate yogurt.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:20 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Lime Yogurt?
Old 01-25-2009, 03:38 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 112 Likes on 80 Posts

caffeine does not goes dehydration-- studies have proven this.. I spent quite a few months in the "optimal hydration business" consulting with the world's experts. I learned a lot...

I have not tried this five hour stuff, but I think it is marketed for energy, not hydration. I am not a parent, but I cannot envision keeping young people away from these types of products.

Of course, someone thought racers as pitch person's will help sell more of their drink. Just like Gatorade and Red Bull and countless other brands in racing. In this case, it is the "no crash" benefit they are always trying to stress. I guess if it is true, and you were a frequent consumer of such products, no crash would be a meaningful benefit.

Quick Reply: serious question about 5 hr energy commercials