Texas Two-Step March 13-16 2009 - DE at Texas World Speedway

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 09:02 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mglobe
Cool video Russell. Sorry we didn't see you the rest of the weekend. I hope everything was ok (other than the weather).
T got the story... he and Eon were pulling up just as I was pulling out - work intrusions just escalated to the point that I wouldn't have been able to focus on driving. I had hoped to keep it at arms length, but in the end a different kind of deluge got the best of me.

Probably didn't miss much, though, huh?

Right.

At least I've been able to read about how fantastic the experience was for you guys. (in fact, more stories, lies, and imaginary feats of greatness would be appreciated!).
Old 03-16-2009, 09:18 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,442 Likes on 773 Posts

Sunday was actually a great track day, Russell.

Congrats again on yoru promotion. You are now officially an uber-baller.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 03-16-2009, 09:39 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks, but at the end of the day, there is still less exhaust to inhale at the track.

Speaking of inhaling bad air, my car's engine apparently collected quite a bit of rain on the trip home. The next time I started it up to unload the trailer, it gulped the water in, misfired, and gave me a check engine light. Mike showed us that 996's don't mind running in the wet, but they do mind riding in the wet.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:57 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by ervtx
Thanks, but at the end of the day, there is still less exhaust to inhale at the track.

Speaking of inhaling bad air, my car's engine apparently collected quite a bit of rain on the trip home. The next time I started it up to unload the trailer, it gulped the water in, misfired, and gave me a check engine light. Mike showed us that 996's don't mind running in the wet, but they do mind riding in the wet.
Yup, Eon's DME took a gulp of water too from the long monsoon-like trip from BR.

Something to be said for an enclosed trailer I guess....

Either way, we opened the case and blew it out with compressed air then placed it near a heater vent in the coach.

Something to be said for enclosed shelter at the track I guess...

Car fired up and ran like a champ for the remainder of the weekend.

Something to be said for the 944's simplicity I guess....

Your MIL is more than likely a "random cylinder misfire" or O2 sensor code from momentarily passing that water. You should take future precautions though....large amounts of water can bend rods.
Maybe a small hole in the bottom of the air box might work for drainage but you might want to filter it from incoming debris under vacuum.

You were missed Russel.

Hope all goes well on the work-front.

T
Old 03-16-2009, 11:34 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 951and944S

Something to be said for the 944's simplicity I guess....
T
Seriously! Either that, or having the right tools.... I had to take mine to the dealer to have the fault code cleared.

Originally Posted by 951and944S
Your MIL is more than likely a "random cylinder misfire" or O2 sensor code from momentarily passing that water. You should take future precautions though....large amounts of water can bend rods.
Maybe a small hole in the bottom of the air box might work for drainage but you might want to filter it from incoming debris under vacuum.

T
Yep, I figured it was going to be an emissions code, but it turned out to be a cylinder 1 misfire. Thanks for the warning and tip; it had never occurred to me that it could lead to a mechanical issue, but it was running pretty rough for the first 15 - 30 seconds.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:48 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Just got home....

I want to thank the Lone Star and Hill Country regions for hosting such a great event in less than perfect conditions. I thoroughly enjoyed myself even though I couldn't actually see the track until Sunday morning.

I can't say enough about the great group of guys who make up the Spec Boxster group. They all went out of their way to make me feel welcome and offered their support in a multitude of ways. The group was collectively insane especially those crazy Amond brothers. A special thanks to Jay Walker for taking care of the details and being a friend, and to Noby and John Gladwell for lending me a set of Toyo stickers when the tire vendors failed to show. It was good to see some old friends like Jess and Adrienne, and meet some new ones like Steve Watkins who was faster than bleep all weekend.

There are definitely some great drivers in the State of Texas and I enjoyed my experience trying to catch them in the rain. It was an adventure I won't soon forget.

Thanks one and all....

JRG

Last edited by jrgordonsenior; 03-17-2009 at 08:42 AM.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:58 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John,
Glad you could make it out. It was great hanging out & racing w/you. Next time we'll try to provide some better weather!

Mike,
Congrats on your first weekend! You did a great job!

Noby,
Kill Switch is in the mail. Thanks again!
Old 03-17-2009, 12:02 AM
pnorwood
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jay,

Good to see you... that silver bullet sure looked good at the end of the day!

Paul
Old 03-17-2009, 12:10 AM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

You too Paul. Great driving this weekend!
Old 03-17-2009, 08:16 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Paul,

Great Avatar. Great minds think alike. ...and fools seldom differ. ;-)

Jay,

Thanks dude, and thanks for the mentorship.

To all of the out of state folks, thank you for coming to visit and drive with us. I hope we see you all back at TWS next year. TWS may be the best kept secret in US race tracks.

edit: Oh, BTW, for all of you that like to give VR crap about his coaching, I have only two years on the race track. Yeah, I've got some innate ability, but Dave's coaching helped this two year driver earn the rookie award. The guy can teach driving. nuf said.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:36 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,442 Likes on 773 Posts

Thanks, Mike! (Those who know, know. And those who don't, don't.)

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 03-17-2009, 10:10 AM
MikeQuig
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks LSR and HCR - a great job this weekend. NOTHING can dampen the fine Texas hospitality that is so much a part of coming down from Colorado for the spring rite at TWS!!

And to SpecBoxster boys Jay W, Steve W, Mark P, and John G - Thanks for the great racing - I loved having a front row seat to watch Mark put move after move on Gladwil before finally getting through in Sunday morning's sprint. The fact the Spec B runs so close with the E cars makes the new class that much more attractive. You guys have done a great job building up your numbers. Great fun!!

Look forward to seeing you at High Plains in August. Check YouTube in a few weeks for some actual racing-line laps at the new track.

Mike Quigley
E class 911 U-boat
Old 03-17-2009, 10:26 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Thanks, Mike! (Those who know, know. And those who don't, don't.)
I thought the phrase was "Those who can, do. Those who can't; teach".

Just razzing you, VR.

Most of us know
what mglobe knows,
and he ain't no
rookie brown nose.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:38 AM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Jess
Fred,

I don't have very fond memories of The Glen.

First wreck in ten years of racing. All in all, the worst weekend of my life.

Road Atlanta is on my short list. The next couple years look to be a bit tight, though.

You should put together a group to come check out our new track, High Plains Raceway, on August 15 and 16 this summer.

Jess

That's understandable. Was a lot of fun racing with you.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:21 AM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Mike Q,
Had a blast racing with you buddy! Some of the closest dicing I have been a part of! What a great time! Hope to see some of you guys down here @ ECR Memorial Day!

Quick Reply: Texas Two-Step March 13-16 2009 - DE at Texas World Speedway