Sponsored by:

Driving/Racing in the rain.......

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 02:54 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One thing that you will find in the rain, besides trying to drive where there is grip, is that the car will still accelerate and brake fairly well, but will not corner worth beans. The attached friction circle visualizes this. So if you are trying to take a "wet line" you will want to maximize what the car still does well and minimize what it does poorly. Where possible, I'll drive the course inversely i.e. braking down the inside of a turn, going to the outside of the corner and turning the car hard, and accelerating back up the inside. This also keeps me off of the slippery portions of the track as much as possible.
Attached Images  
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:59 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
I have a set of Dunlop racing rain slicks. Grip is better than R-Compounds in the dry.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:07 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
The track I normally drive has great wet traction.

Perhaps they are not as good on a slipprier track.

The tires are 10x grippier than RA1s/R888s etc. in the rain.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:15 PM
dmwhite
Instructor

I have a set of Dunlop racing rain slicks. Grip is better than R-Compounds in the dry.

so you're faster in the wet on your dunlops than you would be in the dry on hoosiers/hankooks/bfgs?

i would hope so, toyos suck in the rain...
Old 03-19-2009, 03:18 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
I just don't like crashing in the rain. The probability rises exponentially IMHO.
What?? You're going to scare all of the noobs into thinking that driving on the track in the rain is more dangerous than the dry. Think of the children!

Last edited by Mark in Baltimore; 03-19-2009 at 03:38 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:22 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

We use Dunlop rain tires. They are GREAT GREAT rain tires, but they certainly don't produce the same grip in the wet as R-comps (even crappy R-comps like Toyo's) do in the dry as you said in your first post.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:43 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 8 Posts

"Don't fall off the track" - Professor Helmüt Tester - at a rain race, sometime in the last decade

My and my co-drover once won wet/dry/wet/dry/rinse & repeat 12-hour race in a highly competitive class (Piñatas) simply by following the adage above.

Hint: Most race car drovers don't get smarter or better when it's damp out.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:47 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Prof, you crack me up. Some day I hope to run into you at the bar. Hopefully I will not be driving at the time.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:26 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,437 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
One thing that you will find in the rain, besides trying to drive where there is grip, is that the car will still accelerate and brake fairly well, but will not corner worth beans. The attached friction circle visualizes this. So if you are trying to take a "wet line" you will want to maximize what the car still does well and minimize what it does poorly. Where possible, I'll drive the course inversely i.e. braking down the inside of a turn, going to the outside of the corner and turning the car hard, and accelerating back up the inside. This also keeps me off of the slippery portions of the track as much as possible.
Yup. You want to cross the dry line in corners (where the pavement is polished and there is lots of rubber) at as close to a right angle as possible, too.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 03-19-2009, 05:01 PM
Azikara
Instructor

In general "search for grip" is what it's all about. Start here --> What I've found is that you want to move over half a car width on braking. This is beacuse you want to avoid where the typical line is as the line has rubber and oils baked into it. This combined with a wet track is slippery. If you are over half a car width on braking then you are straddling th etypical line. Then on entry drive through the normal line towards the edge of the track and typically around the outside searching for grip as you go. This is one of the safest ways to start...once you have done this a few times you will work out where there is more grip and where there is less. Each lap can be different as the track either dries or gets wetter. You need to constantly seek grip anywhere you can find it. It's fun!
Old 03-19-2009, 05:12 PM
d15b7
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i'm with bryan; i LOVE the rain. i gleefully walk around the paddock, rubbing my hands together, smiling, as the dark clouds build and the rain starts to fall....

as was said before, i think it's rather simple -- you search for where the grip is best; you avoid the deep standing water; you maximize your straight line accel and braking, and you use your car handling skills to overcome the competition. the right frame-of-mind is important; if you find yourself dreading the situation and being frightened of the car/track during wet conditions, then you will do poorly.

a wet race really gives one the opportunity to excel, even if your car is not on par with the others in terms of horsepower/tuning/development. my car(s) are typically 'shoe string' operations, so i am always underprepped compared to most others in my class. none of that matters in the rain, though!

i hope we get heavy rain at the end of this month, for VIR, with NASA!

todd
ReidSpeed

PS the other reason i really love rain is because there is very low wear rate on consumables -- tires and brakes. i can usually squeeze 7 dry weekends from a set of tires, and maybe 4 dry weekends from a set of brakepads. if it rained every raceweekend, i bet i could go 3x that long!
Old 03-19-2009, 05:26 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by dmwhite
so you're faster in the wet on your dunlops than you would be in the dry on hoosiers/hankooks/bfgs?
Never driven w/Hoosiers etc. Just Michelin slicks, sport cups and RA-1s.

I may have exaggerated a little but in the rain Dunlop rains are within a couple seconds of Michelin Pilot Sport Cups.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:44 PM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bring on rain, just may the powers that be make the decision to rain, and remain wet. I don't like changing tires after looking at the sky, then the radar report, and changing the tire again back to drys. I love the rain!
Old 03-20-2009, 02:12 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

There is so little grip in the rain. What I try to do is go as fast as I can on the straights and brake early and as hard as the tires allow, taking the turn, and applying power just as the back end starts to step out. I Like it, but its scary and the adrenalin strarts to flow, because you are so close to the edge. I also worry about other cars, as lockup can have a guy in your lap before you kow it. I havent tried rains yet, so all my racing in the rain has been on near slicks, which is not smart. Ive always loved driving in the snow and thats what racing in the rain reminds me of. You try and find the limit quickly and stay just under it.

I dont know if that helps at all, but its all I got on the topic. Last race, i did pretty well considering I was on slicks and most the other guys were on rains. That was Laguna. At Sears, with all the constant turns, I think the entire pack up to about half the group, passed me and I didnt see anything I could do to find it out. I think I was a little more bold at Laguna, but it was much easier to go fast in the wet there do to the track layout.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:22 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
Drive where there is grip and don't drive where there is none. Geometry of the turn be damned.
Truth.

Originally Posted by Professor Helmüt Tester
I actually like racing in the rain.
+juan

Quick Reply: Driving/Racing in the rain.......