Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK so Sebring Corner Workers (edited) no longer puts out fires....

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 04:43 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK so Sebring Corner Workers (edited) no longer puts out fires....

Hopefully this is not a trend around the country. So at Sebring over the weekend a car caught fire in the pits. The fire truck zoomed to the car within seconds, the fire fighters jumped out of the truck and proceeded to hand the driver an extinguisher. Seems that Sebring no longer wants the liability of putting out car fires UNLESS there is eminent danger to someone. They will give you extinguishers, or a hose and you are supposed to put out the fire yourself. This has to now be the stupidest thing I have heard of in sometime....

Last edited by viperbob; 04-21-2009 at 10:56 AM.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:02 PM
sebring-cw
1st Gear

Not sure if you got the full story. The corner workers who are not wearing proper fire fighting gear and are not trained in fire fighting will not put out a fire unless somebody is in the car, and consequently in danger. There is a liability issue because they are not licensed fire fighters by the State of Florida.

The fire crew, with the proper equipment, and training, will put out the fire regardless. The fire crew are all licensed fire fighers by the state. You can't sue a fire fighter for causing further damage to your property in the process of trying to put out the fire.

I'm guessing you may not have been there on Sunday as the issue was discussed to clear up any rumors that had started.

Dr. Chin's take was that you would be foolish to get any where near a burning car without the proper breathing/air cleaning apparatus.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:36 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Speaking of fires did you see what happen to Boris Said, man that car was flaming while he was trying to bring it to a stop. Crazy fire, well in all these cases hope everyone was ok.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:53 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

I did not hear the Sunday meeting, but did hear the issues on Saturday and with the Chin folks later in the evening. So it is just the corner workers that will not save your car if it catches on fire. Ok, well then that makes..... still no sense. So if you car hits a wall, catches on fire and you jump out a little dazed and not thinking straight that you need to put out the fire, or your car will continue to burn until the fire truck gets there. The corner workers will make no attempt to put out the fire in its earliest stages when the greater risks of smoke and flame are reduced. Is this correct then?

Originally Posted by sebring-cw
Not sure if you got the full story. The corner workers who are not wearing proper fire fighting gear and are not trained in fire fighting will not put out a fire unless somebody is in the car, and consequently in danger. There is a liability issue because they are not licensed fire fighters by the State of Florida.

The fire crew, with the proper equipment, and training, will put out the fire regardless. The fire crew are all licensed fire fighers by the state. You can't sue a fire fighter for causing further damage to your property in the process of trying to put out the fire.

I'm guessing you may not have been there on Sunday as the issue was discussed to clear up any rumors that had started.

Dr. Chin's take was that you would be foolish to get any where near a burning car without the proper breathing/air cleaning apparatus.

Last edited by viperbob; 04-20-2009 at 06:32 PM.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:47 PM
gab997
Racer

I heard about it as well and couldn't believe that the driver had to put his own fire out!! He stopped the car right at the pit out, one would assume that the proper safety personnel would be close by?
Old 04-20-2009, 10:29 PM
MDL
Racer

Originally Posted by sebring-cw

The fire crew, with the proper equipment, and training, will put out the fire regardless. The fire crew are all licensed firefighters by the state. You can't sue a fire fighter for causing further damage to your property in the process of trying to put out the fire.

Unbelievable...look what political correctness has brought us. What ever happened to common sense? Why not just help a guy out before the fire gets out of hand.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:41 PM
smankow
Pro

at the PBOC event in January, the track was closed for too long as there was a brush fire in the field OUTSIDE of the track that the Sebring fire crew went over to help put out the fire.

with this in mind, I'd be surprised if they wouldn't put out a fire in the pits. Then again, I can't believe that the corner workers wouldn't help put out the fire. Especially since extinguishers ARE NOT required.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:40 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

I can understand a corner worker not putting out a car fire due to not having proper safety gear on but I do not understand the fireman not putting out the fire when they have the proper skill and clothing protection...and...the DE driver does not have on the proper clothing protection or firefighting clothing.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:17 AM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

10-4 Mike but it is not likely in this litigious world that the DE driver would sue himself. Liability mitigation especially in these stressed economic times is job-1 for many corporations. Sucks but thats the way it seems to be.

PS cant wait for May PBOC Sebring
Old 04-21-2009, 09:09 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You guys have to remember that the Corner Worker's first, and only responsibility to traffic management through the use of flags. It is not a litigous issue, but a safety issue. Which would you rather have, a local yellow alerting you of a safety condition, OR no flag and the corner worker putting out the fire? It makes sense to me and I think the Sebring-CW person accurately described the process most track have been using for many years. I just don't see what all the fuss is about.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:17 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

So are you saying Geoffrey that you have been aware that the corner workers at the tracks you run will not put out a fire on your car unless you are trapped in it?
Old 04-21-2009, 10:23 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes, I have been aware of that for some time.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:36 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
You guys have to remember that the Corner Worker's first, and only responsibility to traffic management through the use of flags. It is not a litigous issue, but a safety issue. Which would you rather have, a local yellow alerting you of a safety condition, OR no flag and the corner worker putting out the fire? It makes sense to me and I think the Sebring-CW person accurately described the process most track have been using for many years. I just don't see what all the fuss is about.
+1
Old 04-21-2009, 02:31 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Just imagine if this had happened at PBIR. Somehow it would have been twisted to say that PBIR was trying to kill people....
Old 04-21-2009, 03:18 PM
LDadrenaline
Racer

It seems pretty simple. Corner workers don't have the training/gear to put out fires. they will do it if you are in danger, but if you are fine then they wait for the actual fire crew. It sucks if it is your car, but I don't see the problem in that...

from what I heard the guy put leaded race fuel in the car, and that exploded the catalytic converter which is what caused the fire

Quick Reply: OK so Sebring Corner Workers (edited) no longer puts out fires....