Sponsored by:

Accusump Installation

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 08:44 AM
North Coast Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Accusump Installation

I am thinking about installing an Accusump in my 944 Cup car, following a spun #2. I am trying to figure out how to plum it. I currently have a sandwich plate installed for an external oil cooler already. Can I just reroute those hoses so it goes from sandwich plate to cooler,cooler to accusump, accusump to sandwich plate?
Any input?

Thanks
Old 04-22-2009, 08:59 AM
johntorg
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think so. I have an Accusump and a Mocal cooler. The line to the cooler has a T fitting which goes to the Accusump. The Accusump has only 1 line to it. I'll take a picture in a little while and post it.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:12 AM
jwade944
Instructor

I used an Accusump for the first few years on my 924S. After grenading two engines with #2 rod bearing failures, I sold the Accusump and added the Lindsey Racing oil pan baffle. No problems since. I do replace the rod bearings every two years, but haven't noticed any significant wear since adding the baffle.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:19 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Though my plumbing is different, yes, need a T-fitting with a check valve. Specifically, I use a remote-mount filter (as my stock filter location is under the header - yuck!). The Accusump T's in at where the supply line exits the filter mount, heading to the cooler. The check valve is installed on the inlet line to the filter mount, so it will prevent any oil (coming under pressure from the Accusump) from just dumping back into the pan, rather it's forced through the cooler and into the good side of the engine.

Here's a pic; may not be all that easy to figure, but it is a pic.

The port on the RH side of the filter is the inlet - you can just make out the directional arrow - and so the port on the LH side is the outlet, goes to the cooler (up front) and the Accusump.

Since installing this plus a good crank scraper from Ishihara-Johnson, I've not lost an engine (knock on wood)... it's been in there since '04 now IIRC. Put in new rod bearings once, in '06 I think, as preventative maintenance... has well over 100 races on it since then I think. Of course, it's a truck motor, not a 944 motor!
Old 04-22-2009, 09:55 AM
johntorg
Rennlist Member

Default Accusump

Here's a picture of mine. I will be transferring the cooler and Accusump to my new race car and was wondering about the need for a check valve. Can someone explain the purpose and location?
Attached Images  
Old 04-22-2009, 09:56 AM
Willard Bridgham 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Accusump is just an accumulator and can be placed with a tee and check valve anywhere in the high pressure circuit....there's only one connection to the accusump.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:45 AM
North Coast Cab
Burning Brakes

So is T'ing into the line between the sandwich plate and oil cooler a good idea? I have AN12 lines there and I would suppose the cooler return line would be a better option for more direct flow back to the motor.

Thanks for all the input.

JWADE944,
I have the Lindsey Baffle kit already installed.

Vaughan,
Where did you source the remote oil filter housing? Mine is very tighht in there with the sadnwich plate and AN12 lines.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:45 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

LOL... yeah, my remote filter housing went where the washer reservoir was originally - keep in mind it's a '79 2.0L 924!

All my parts were from Racer Parts Wholesale, including the remote filter adapter. Mainly you just have to ID the thread on your existing filter.

Another advantage to the remote mount is that it allows me to use an oversize filter; not what you see in the pic (for brand) - I use a Mann or Mahle filter these days (that was a Fram), but Very Large - sized for a VW/Audi Diesel. Extra oil capacity, and more cooling (since it's hanging out in the breeze). With all the extra crap (very large cooler too, on the other side of the car, long lines, and 3qt accusump) it's a 2-gal (8qt) oil change! Sucks when it's Redline (which I use from time to time) - makes it a $100 oil change!

Also - I went with just -10 hoses on mine, FWIW...
Old 04-22-2009, 02:09 PM
RSchoeni
Instructor

Originally Posted by johntorg
Here's a picture of mine. I will be transferring the cooler and Accusump to my new race car and was wondering about the need for a check valve. Can someone explain the purpose and location?
When plumbed correctly, the check valve ensures that oil from the accumulator goes to the engine block and not the cooler.
_____
/bs
Old 04-22-2009, 02:48 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

I'm in the process of installing an accusump in my 928, which has the SAME bearing issues as 944-924's just with two bearings vs one... My #6 bearing is a goner, but I was lucky enough to catch it before the #2 was destroyed and the block ventilated!!

A couple things that help 928's that may or may not apply to 944's is a 3/8" pan spacer to drop the oil sump down from the crank...a windage kit and a properly cross drilled crank also improves the oiling a bunch....
Old 04-22-2009, 03:00 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

what oil were you using and what temp range were you operating in?

I think its agreed that drilling of the crank is the best way to prevent this failure.

mk
Old 04-22-2009, 08:57 PM
jwade944
Instructor

In my case, I felt like the Accusump might have been part of the problem. When the engine got hot, the oil pressure dropped and the Accusump dumped oil until the pressure was equalized. If this overfilled the oil pan, then the crankshaft could foam the oil. I was never able to prove anything, but with just the baffle, my oil pressure is better with a hot engine. Too many variables to draw a firm conclusion (engine is in a 944 now vs a 924s before, so airflows may be better) but you may want to compare oil pressures with the Accusump valve open vs closed. No question it helps with pre-oiling on startup.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:04 AM
North Coast Cab
Burning Brakes

I've heard some of the same issues. I know there are opinions about drilling the crank etc. for the 944/951/928, but in just analyzing the accusump option I have deffinitely heard about some negative sides. Just looking for some realy world input.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:29 AM
North Coast Cab
Burning Brakes

Vaughan,
I see the remote filter housing and sandwich plates, but what caps off the existing filter location? I run a sandwich plate now for an external oi lcooler, but I still need the stock filter to cap it off. Maybe I'm missing something.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:32 AM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Overfill will indeed aerate the oil and that is a problem...I don't know if an Accusump contrinutes to that but i'd make sure it does not over fill the sump...also, volume and flow wick away heat and provide lubrication..not necessarily better to have high oil pressure.

Quick Reply: Accusump Installation