Williams F1 Suspended by FOTA

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 01:59 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,950 Likes on 1,745 Posts

Originally Posted by ew928
I've never had the pleasure to see F1 race in person.
Ernest, if your any kind of F1 fan you have to go to a race. If F1 ever comes to the US or back to Montreal, you've got to go to experience it once in your life.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:35 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MTosi
It didn't do much for me... hint, hint, clue, clue
Having kids didn't do much for you, what, you're gay?
(I kid, I kid!!! )

Where did you go? Indy?

I never went there but I would imagine it isn't very exiting place to see an F1 race since you don't get to see the corners very close.
I'd imagine the sound should be pretty amazing though...?

If Montreal or basically anywhere else where you can be close and see those cars braking and turning, I'm surprised and would like to know what have you seen that was so much better and thrilling because ALMS, Grand-Am etc. certainly isn't.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:54 PM
ew928
Owns the Streets
Needs Camber
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If only Road America wasn't so rural.
I'd like to see what them F1 cars can do their.

I sat in the Canaday Corner grandstand and the natural bowl shape of the corner really focused the engine sounds. Can't imagine how loud the F1 howl would be.

Guess if FIA likes them fancy schmancy hotels and entertainment venues, then it'll have to be a street course in a major US city to keep the F1 playboys happy.

F1 San Francisco. Up and down the whoopdedoo streets and then final turns down Lombard street before the start/finish.
And we don't use the wimpy Armcos. Concrete barriers all the way. Guess they'll need to employ Safer barriers to keep the drivers happy.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:05 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
If F1 ever comes to the US or back to Montreal
+1 Montreal (when it returns) is probably the closest race to go to and really experience the race.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:09 PM
the flyin' scotsman
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 22 Posts

If only Road America wasn't so rural.
I'd like to see what them F1 cars can do their.
I did a comparison some years ago where F1 cars run on the same circuit as Indy cars and/MotoGP bikes...........the lap times of the F1 cars destroys everything. There's also video of an F1 car dragging against a full MotoGP bike......IIRC the bike lead for the first 15 feet then the car was gone. Rural tracks wont attract F1 thats why Magny Cours is gone...........middle of France beside fields and fields of farming. Although that same logic doesn't apply to Bahrain with the track in the middle of a desert..........big oil $$$$ though.

I sat in the Canaday Corner grandstand and the natural bowl shape of the corner really focused the engine sounds. Can't imagine how loud the F1 howl would be.
If you go to all the practices, warm ups, qualifying and the race your deaf without ear protection and I'm not kidding........1 race.

Guess if FIA likes them fancy schmancy hotels and entertainment venues, then it'll have to be a street course in a major US city to keep the F1 playboys happy.
The FIA need to look at the really sucessful tracks and how they're accomodated by the nearby cities; Montreal, the track is on an island in the middle of the St. Lawrence but accesible by their underground rail system; Monza, in a park on the outskirts of Milan etc etc.

We've been to Montreal on several occaisions and stayed at the Elizabeth 1 hotel downtown where the Jaguar team also stayed; kinda neat bumping into Eddie Irvine and company strolling through the hallways.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:32 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Where did you go? Indy?

I never went there but I would imagine it isn't very exiting place to see an F1 race since you don't get to see the corners very close.
Went to Indy for the inaugural F1 race.

Friday and Saturday mornings were the best.
Spent Friday sitting on the grass in the infield, about 30' from the track edge...in bright daylight you could see the brakes glowing and at the end of the day you were covered in a fine mist of carbon fibre dust.

The braking performance, combined with the gearbox, was simply amazing...the sound is unforgettable.

Too bad Mad Max and Bernie are doing their best to neuter the sport.
Old 05-29-2009, 01:21 AM
David Ray
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

F1 is not, and never will be boring! Go to a race and experience it! Been to Montreal, Long Beach, Vegas, Phoenix, Brands Hatch, Australia, Spain and Indy. Don’t remember a single time I’ve been bored or disappointed and I’m going back for more. F1 is just a more “refined” racing experience in my mind. The difference between NASCAR and F1 is similar to drinking Boone’s Farm or Opus One (sorry I really like Opus One), it’s all about what you can afford. You’re just not getting into a F1 event on a “I just bought a Ford Mustang Sweepstakes” pass!
Old 05-29-2009, 01:31 PM
MTosi
User

Originally Posted by ltc
Went to Indy for the inaugural F1 race.

Friday and Saturday mornings were the best.
Spent Friday sitting on the grass in the infield, about 30' from the track edge...in bright daylight you could see the brakes glowing and at the end of the day you were covered in a fine mist of carbon fibre dust.

The braking performance, combined with the gearbox, was simply amazing...the sound is unforgettable.

Too bad Mad Max and Bernie are doing their best to neuter the sport.
Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Having kids didn't do much for you, what, you're gay?
(I kid, I kid!!! )

Where did you go? Indy?

If Montreal or basically anywhere else where you can be close and see those cars braking and turning, I'm surprised and would like to know what have you seen that was so much better and thrilling because ALMS, Grand-Am etc. certainly isn't.
Pretty much what ltc said, just subtract 14 cars...

That aside the spectacle is certainly amazing and could never be captured on TV, but the reason I like going to races in person is to walk around to different corners and watch the drivers work the car. See whose better around a corner, who has the best line, whose driving the hardest, and I even like to see the occasional pass. I go to watch racing.

If you want spectacle alone just go to an air show. If you think the feeling of 18,000 combined hp is amazing (pre V8 days), try standing on the ramp when180,000 combined lbs of thrust at a Blue Angels, or Thunderbirds demo takes off.

I've been to every major racing series in the United States with the exception of a Sprint Cup race (been to Trucks and Busch) and this may sound funny, but my favorite to watch in terms of racing is Koni Challenge. Overall package, with atmosphere/racing/spectacle ALMS for the previous few years was definitely the winner. Worst was by far and away were the IRL races I went to, they want to think they are as popular as NASCAR and act accordingly not to mention the racing/sound/cars suck. Atmosphere alone, I like the 6 hours of the Glen GA race because it seems like I'm the only one there... probably because I am
Old 05-30-2009, 08:58 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The FOTA is about to get punked soon as many of these teams have multi-year deals with sponsors and cannot afford to shelve and F1 team or foot the bill to start a new series. With all the new entries coming it's less the likely the FerrariOTA will carry enough weight to stop anything and will enter the championship themselves.

This is a huff and puff. Ferrari had their chance to VETO.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:48 PM
MTosi
User

Originally Posted by wanna911
The FOTA is about to get punked soon as many of these teams have multi-year deals with sponsors and cannot afford to shelve and F1 team or foot the bill to start a new series. With all the new entries coming it's less the likely the FerrariOTA will carry enough weight to stop anything and will enter the championship themselves.

This is a huff and puff. Ferrari had their chance to VETO.
Could you potentially be anymore biased against Ferrari?
Old 05-30-2009, 01:10 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Are you forgetting Sir A.Wayne ?
Old 05-30-2009, 06:14 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have the nerve to say bias against Ferrari when they've had the FIA by the ***** for years now and have had more favortism than you can shake a stick at? Sorry if you got butt hurt, but Ferrari is the prima donna of F1 and it shows.

Who do you think is running this parade? Toyota?

Quick Reply: Williams F1 Suspended by FOTA