PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

GREAT racing.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:18 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

And lally wouldnt have had a chance in the mustang.

mk

Originally Posted by MTosi
The best driver did win the race, and it wasn't Hand or Auberlen, it was Lally.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:17 AM
Meister Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like morning rush hour on the 405....
Old 06-12-2009, 09:44 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,437 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort

mk

Yes, Marky Mark, and anyone who has even a cursory knowledge of these cars (or who watched the video I posted) knows why: the Mustang's weakest link is its braking. The 911 and the M3 can outbrake the Mustang in pretty much any corner all day long, as this video shows.

However, please don't let me interrupt your seemingly ndless crusade to try to ameliorate the beating you took from folks infinetely more knowledgeable than yourself in the idiotic HP/TQ debate that YOU started and then lost over and over again.

We will all now brace for 7 more 250-word posts from you on this topic.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 06-12-2009 at 03:17 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-12-2009, 10:11 AM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Thanks for posting this video VR. It's awesome. That's racing. I had a feeling the 4 feet of grass between the left side of the track and the guardrail from the Toe to T8 was a passing surface!!!!
Old 06-12-2009, 10:12 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
ameliorate
Didn't she fly a plane or something?
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:33 AM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

That was fun to watch.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:59 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

pretty funny VR. (as usual)

But, as you can see there was no advantage under acceleration in any area of the track. and if there was, it was due to HP/weight, as it always is.
sure, the mustang was at a disadvantage, due to its heavier weight

As far as the HP / torque debate. I didnt lose anything. Newton never loses those debates. Think of me as his messenger, and you shall be saved! By the way, i had a ton of email and PMs of those MUCH more knowlegable than you, like Chris Cervelli, who validated my points and bailed of the stupid discussion due to a unpresedented level of ignorance and mudslinging. You can count it a win, but you are still a bit confused.

HP values will determine acceleration force at any speed. If you have the same HP at any same comparable speed, you will have the same acceleration. Its the LAW! You are in denial.

Back to the discussion about racing, Ego-Boy. AND, get ready for August! Whooooo Hooo!

mk

Yes, Marky Mark, and anyone who has even a cursory knowledge of these cars (or who watched the video I posted) knows why: the Mustang's weakest link is its braking. The 911 and the M3 can outbrake the Mustang in pretty much any corner all day long, as this video shows.

However, please don't let me interrupt your seemingly crusade to try to ameliorate the beating you took from folks infinetely more knowledgeable than yourself in the idiotic HP/TQ debate that YOU started and then lost over and over again.

We will all now brace for 7 more 250-word posts from you on this topic.

Last edited by mark kibort; 06-12-2009 at 12:54 PM.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:23 PM
MTosi
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not entirely true, he did quite well with his first drive in a Mustang at the Glen last year. In this years race there were no real hot shoes driving Mustangs so it's hard to know. Although as VR mentioned their downside has everything to do with brakes, and absolutely nothing to do with HP/Tourque.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:37 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

The cars are quite even in most areas. You also have to think about, is it brakes, or is it a slower speed of entry to the corners requied for the heavier mustangs? In watching the video, I dont think the mustangs have a braking issue so much as a cornering speed issue. Having run against Pobst in one of these type BMWs, with a car with simular driving characteristics to the mustang, Ive seen first hand the cornering capability of these cars which is pretty awesome. Ive also seen the handling trade offs with my car, as I often race against all sorts of BMWs,e30s to new PTG-like M3s. I also run times almost identical to the Grand Am GS times, albiet in a slightly lighter car, but with less hp compared to the 'Stang.

VR said it has everything to do with brakes. Not true, he already said it has to do with driver, then he switched to brakes, and in reality its more about absolute weight which can effect decel as well as cornering.

I agree to a point as well, in watching the video, maybe a different driver could have pushed the mustangs through the corners a little harder. In the end, pretty darn even, wouldnt you say. AND some great racing.

So, in the end, Its just a disussion about many factors. Thats what makes racing so interesting, all the trade offs with drviers, weights, hp/weights, chassis design, set up, and mix of all of it.

Mk

Originally Posted by MTosi
Not entirely true, he did quite well with his first drive in a Mustang at the Glen last year. In this years race there were no real hot shoes driving Mustangs so it's hard to know. Although as VR mentioned their downside has everything to do with brakes, and absolutely nothing to do with HP/Tourque.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:30 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

The cars are quite even in most areas. You also have to think about, is it brakes, or is it a slower speed of entry to the corners requied for the heavier mustangs? In watching the video, I dont think the mustangs have a braking issue so much as a cornering speed issue. Having run against Pobst in one of these type BMWs, with a car with simular driving characteristics to the mustang, Ive seen first hand the cornering capability of these cars which is pretty awesome. Ive also seen the handling trade offs with my car, as I often race against all sorts of BMWs,e30s to new PTG-like M3s. I also run times almost identical to the Grand Am GS times, albiet in a slightly lighter car, but with less hp compared to the 'Stang.

VR said it has everything to do with brakes. Not true, he already said it has to do with driver, then he switched to brakes, and in reality its more about absolute weight which can effect decel as well as cornering.

I agree to a point as well, in watching the video, maybe a different driver could have pushed the mustangs through the corners a little harder. In the end, pretty darn even, wouldnt you say. AND some great racing.

So, in the end, Its just a disussion about many factors. Thats what makes racing so interesting, all the trade offs with drviers, weights, hp/weights, chassis design, set up, and mix of all of it.

Mk

I wish I had the time but not today, must finish a car and then catch a plane. Maybe I will try next week if it is still going on.......... Which with Mark I am sure it will be.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:47 PM
DogInBlack
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FredC
Thanks for posting this video VR. It's awesome. That's racing. I had a feeling the 4 feet of grass between the left side of the track and the guardrail from the Toe to T8 was a passing surface!!!!
I thought that was pretty awesome myself!

Last edited by DogInBlack; 06-12-2009 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Grammar and spelling
Old 06-12-2009, 03:19 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,437 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Didn't she fly a plane or something?

Larry, I know it's a big word and all...

Fred, grass IS a racing surface.

Spartacus...ay ay ay. Keep digging deeper, my boy. You may actually be even more clueless than GhettoRacer.

Old 06-12-2009, 03:47 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Larry, I know it's a big word and all...
You must be perusing your Thesaurus again!
Old 06-12-2009, 03:56 PM
DogInBlack
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I had to watch it again, awesome! The race is showing on the Nascar channel, er Speed TV Sunday afternoon. If you aren't tired after 24 hours of LeMans

Quick Reply: One of the best racing videos I've seen in a while