Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 11:53 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
How is this a good thing? It just means more of the same old B.S. just a different manager. No US Grand Prix. No Silverstone. Bernie's still there. Even more races in faraway places that nobody will attend.
I see it as a first step, some will be public, some will be private.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:14 PM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great for Max to go, but still a little bummed about no US event next year.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:23 PM
MTosi
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Didn't he also say this after his little escapade....
Old 06-24-2009, 12:26 PM
trumperZ06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MTosi
Didn't he also say this after his little escapade....
Yep... but this time I think his goose is cooked.

FOTA is deadly serious about Max leaving.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:29 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVISRILEY
Great for Max to go, but still a little bummed about no US event next year.
If FOTA truly thought it was in their best interest to return to Indy, they would ask Bernie to make it happen.
However, the US market is no longer what it once was and now is probably not the time.

Now, if you can get Max to take Tony George with him....
Old 06-24-2009, 12:53 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Good news!!

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
I would not bet against not having races in important markets .. I suspect that losing races in the largest markets for sales was something that FOTA objected to.
I agree Bob. We've just witnessed a subtle power shift and it will take time for it's impact to be fully realized. I think the manner in which locations are selected/rejected will also begin to shift.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:54 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
I see it as a first step, some will be public, some will be private.
+1
Old 06-24-2009, 01:08 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray S
... I think the manner in which locations are selected/rejected will also begin to shift.
I don't think there's any basis to say that since Bernie is the one who makes those decisions. Just wishful thinking at this point.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:12 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Bernie told Max.. "Time to go buddy it is the only way I can keep making money on this sport."
Old 06-24-2009, 01:15 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 8 Posts

Beware. Bernie is still there.

Old 06-24-2009, 01:22 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
I don't think there's any basis to say that since Bernie is the one who makes those decisions. Just wishful thinking at this point.
Maybe you missed the part where Bernie and Max just totally backed down. This was big time brinksmanship and the side that "blinked" was Bernie and Max.

I agree with Lewis that there will be some very obvious public concessions and other less obvious private concessions made.

Future location could very well be a part of the discussions (it is interesting to look at the proposed FOTA race list that was floated recently)

Wishful thinking??.........Maybe

However, make no mistake companies like Renault, BMW, Mercedes Benz, Toyota all race in large part to promote their brands and sell cars. Many of these teams have publically complained about some of the race venue changes over the past several years. From their perpective it makes little sense to exit a major market to go race in a backwater market.

Since FOTA seems to have some new found power, I'm betting they will continue to apply pressure in all areas that concern them.

Last edited by Ray S; 06-24-2009 at 01:48 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:28 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They published the entry list. No surprises. I wonder how many of the new teams will actually have cars on the grid and whether this phasing in of some cost reductions will be enough to get them in. Hope so.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:50 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray S
Maybe you missed the part where Bernie and Max just totally backed down. This was big time brinksmanship and the side that "blinked" was Bernie and Max.

I agree with Lewis that there will be some very obvious public concessions and other less obvious private concessions made.

Future location could very well be a part of the discussions (it is interesting to look at the proposed FOTA race list that was floated recently)

Wishful thinking??.........Maybe

However, make no mistake companies like Renault, BMW, Mercedes Benz, Toyota all race in large part to promote their brands and sell cars. Many of these teams have publically complained about some of the race changes over the past several years. From their perpective it makes little sense to exit a major market to go race in a backwater market.

Since FOTA seems to have some new found power, I'm betting they will continue to apply pressure in all areas that concern them.
I do hope you're right, but here's my point: the recent rift was mainly due to changes to the rules & regs (like budget cap). So Bernie & Max backed down from *that*, not things like where they'll race and who gets what money. Race locations was probably off the table in these negotiations.

Granted, we may have just seen the start of a power shift, but it's still just wishful thinking.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:06 PM
trumperZ06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DCP
They published the entry list. No surprises. I wonder how many of the new teams will actually have cars on the grid and whether this phasing in of some cost reductions will be enough to get them in. Hope so.

The sorry part about the new entry list is the omission of David Richards with his Aston Martin/Pro drive team.

Wonder if the new teams listed are under review?
Old 06-24-2009, 02:10 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,950 Likes on 1,745 Posts

As I stated yesterday, when the FOTA announced the venues and dates for their 2010 season, that was the "putting more chips on the table" and Bernie and Max folded their hand. What were they going to do? Lose Ferrari, McLaren, BMW, Toyota, Renault and Monaco? No way, they had to cave in to the FOTA.

What the FOTA needs to do is still stay together and work on a backup plan in the event the next FIA president or Bernie try any tricks. I'd have those tracks on speed dial in the event they need to play that card again.

Now, where are the technical regs for 2010?

Quick Reply: F1 Update: Ding-Dong the Witch is Dead!