Sponsored by:

Sway bars 101.........

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 04:30 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Sway bars 101.........

could someone briefly explain the way the sway bars work and how changing settings affects the feel of a P- car? (Specific 911 explanations even more appreciated)

I just had a whole new suspension set up with Smart Racing adjustable sway bars and torsion bars....

I am taking the car to the track in a couple of weeks with the mechanic to fine tune her and I would like to be "somewhat" educated about it......

Thank fellows.....I know I can count on you..........
Old 08-05-2009, 05:25 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just bolt 'em on for looks, but unhook them when you get to the track

(that's what I do)
Old 08-05-2009, 05:28 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Nice car......ball buster.......
Old 08-05-2009, 05:36 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They connect the right and left side wheels together. Less but still works, is better than more.
Rough ramblings.... In a corner the sway bar uses inside springs to keep the body from leaning over. This changes the traction. If your car has too much sway bar at one end that end will be more likely to break loose as the other end is more compliant and better able to hug both tires on the road. Examples, too much front bar will make a 911 understeer (push). Too much rear bar will increase the tendency to oversteer. What feels like too much bar can also be too little bar at the other end. Thats why I like to work on the body action first. I like to start full loose on both ends unless I have a base line already. (Full loose is the drop link at the far end of the adjustment arm from the bar) I add (move the drop link on the arm towards the bar) bar evenly to both ends as needed to control the body. After the body feels settled and set in the corners I use the sways (and other tweaks) to dial in the fine handling. Removing or adding bar to one end acts on the other end too. If the front is pushing adding rear bar will reduce the push. If the rear is stepping out adding front bar will help plant it. Until you have it fine tuned move in big steps. If full loose and the car pushes add ½ the total adjustment and try again. Some people make little tiny movements and spend all their time trying to see if they can even feel the change. Go ½ with each movement. Half of total and test. If still pushing or whatever ½ of the remaining adjustment and so on. There is SO much more to this!

Sways are not for fixing gross handling issues. Doing so will only mask or move the problems around. They are not a replacement for proper springs.

There is lots of good reading already typed on this basic all platforms subject. Any of the pro authored tomes on this subject can give you a solid base of knowledge to build on rather than having to sift through the above kind of blather. I would read up on the basics and then come back with the drill down questions.Atleast you can get some of the fancy words to toss out at the mechanic when you get out of the car hand your helment to the waiting attendant and walk off to the toter.

Last edited by kurt M; 08-05-2009 at 06:05 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:39 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kurt M
They connect the right and left side wheels together.

There is lots of good reading already typed on this basic all platforms subject. Any of the pro authored tomes on this subject can give you a solid base of knowledge to build on. I would read up on the basics and then come back with the drill down questions.
I like your choice of words.......
Old 08-05-2009, 09:09 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

sometimes tired overused corp speak plays well to the audience.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:15 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Ultimately, anti-roll bars (a car doesn't really sway...it rolls) are a simple and quick means of adjusting the spring rate slightly on the front or rear to effect the handling balance of the car. The downside is that it makes the suspension less independent. The upside is that it only "increases" the spring rate while turning and not while encountering bumps in a straight line.

Last edited by Bryan Watts; 08-05-2009 at 09:48 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:30 PM
DaveM993
Drifting

Another thought...

bumpy track....bigger sway bar (overall), smaller spring (overall)
smooth track....smaller sway bar (overall), bigger spring (overall)

...or did I get that backwards?

YMMV.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:53 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Paolo,

Start in the middle on both. Use the front bar for corner entry, rear for exit to minimize understeer............... on second thought just leave them in the middle.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:28 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Sway bars are a tool you can use to adjust the over/under-steer properties of a car mid-corner.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:55 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveM993
Another thought...

bumpy track....bigger sway bar (overall), smaller spring (overall)
smooth track....smaller sway bar (overall), bigger spring (overall)

...or did I get that backwards?

YMMV.
Big ARB and bumps tends towards a very twitchy car. You usually use shock adjustments to deal with more or less bumpy tracks.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:33 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Van
Sway bars are a tool you can use to adjust the over/under-steer properties of a car mid-corner.
'Zactly.

Need to dial in more understeer? Get a bigger FRONT sway bar, or stiffen the bar up if it is adjustable. (Lessen the distance between the end point of the swaybar to stiffen it up. IE: if there are two bolt holes in the bar on either end, then use the two inner bolts to stiffen it up.

Need to dial in more oversteer? Get a bigger REAR sway bar, or stiffen the rear swaybar, if it is adjustable.

-Z-man.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:41 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by Z-man
'Need to dial in more understeer? Get a bigger FRONT sway bar, or stiffen the bar up if it is adjustable. (Lessen the distance between the end point of the swaybar to stiffen it up. IE: if there are two bolt holes in the bar on either end, then use the two inner bolts to stiffen it up.
While keeping in mind that it doesn't always work that way. Especially on front strut suspensions, a little more bar (or spring) can often add grip. Gotta be familiar with your car and the specific changes it requires.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:58 AM
F350Lawman
Racer

I love my SRP bars. I have the 27mm bars front and rear, very nice. My mechanic set them up trial and error to get the car a neutral as possible. On my car, I think the original setup, we ended up with was 1 looser than the middle setting all around.

One note, while the SRP bars are great, but their fasteners stink. Everything rusted and corroded in 1 years time. I have them off now while I am having the engine done. I am going to replace everything with some corrosion proof, grade hardware. It's a real pain to have an adjustable bar and then have the fasteners frozen on.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:43 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
While keeping in mind that it doesn't always work that way. Especially on front strut suspensions, a little more bar (or spring) can often add grip. Gotta be familiar with your car and the specific changes it requires.
Yeah, that's one of the things that I really do not understand why it happens, but I know it does. Probably something to do with camber and tire patch. Can you shed any light on it?
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Quick Reply: Sway bars 101.........