I propose a voluntary national dyno program

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 11:03 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
Default I propose a voluntary national dyno program

What if we pick a two week period at the end of this year's season and create a voluntary dyno program? Like NASA, we all use the same model dyno - understanding that there will be differences whether atmoshperic or the machine itself. We then post the results here on Rennlist. As much as possible, we get groups of local racers together on the same day at the same dyno for comparison purposes. Thoughts?
Old 09-09-2009, 11:26 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

I'm in, we should use the same dyno NASA requires so we are set for NASA racing next year..
Old 09-09-2009, 11:31 AM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which ECU maps are people going to use when they are on the dyno?
Old 09-09-2009, 11:33 AM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean F
What if we pick a two week period at the end of this year's season and create a voluntary dyno program? Like NASA, we all use the same model dyno - understanding that there will be differences whether atmoshperic or the machine itself. We then post the results here on Rennlist. As much as possible, we get groups of local racers together on the same day at the same dyno for comparison purposes. Thoughts?
I guess the purpose is only informational ? PCA doesn't regulate HP in each class, just the allowed modifications.
There will still be big variances with 2 exact cars that comply with the rules and what would this mean?
In my case, I run 2 ECUs, one bone stock for PCA and souped up one for NASA
Old 09-09-2009, 11:33 AM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Noble thought, but you're "spinning your wheels." Dynos are for tuning, not playing the HP game.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:34 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm going to use my 150hp dyno map for testing since I have a dash mounted switch that can switch maps on the fly.

I can't see any factual information that would come out of this exercise knowing what I know about dynos and the dyno testing process.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:35 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
I'm going to use my 150hp dyno map for testing since I have a dash mounted switch that can switch maps on the fly.

I can't see any factual information that would come out of this exercise knowing what I know about dynos and the dyno testing process.
Yep.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:01 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

hence the voluntary. I for one would play by the rules and know my friends would as well.

Here's another thought. We chip in and rent one for a race weekend at the track - again voluntary. would be interesting to see who would come by and who wouldn't.

I'm just getting a little tired of these threads bitching about the cheaters and nobody wanting to step up and do something.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:06 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 40 Posts

I have an analog car (the 73) I just need to retard my timing by turning the dizzy. Or the old BANANA IN THE TAILPIPE TRICK should work.

Old 09-09-2009, 01:00 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm just getting a little tired of these threads bitching about the cheaters and nobody wanting to step up and do something.
AMEN.......+1
Old 09-09-2009, 01:33 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Isn't it ironic that most of the responses reference CHEATING on the dyno?

Old 09-09-2009, 01:39 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

How is a dyno going to rat out a cheater in a class that doesn't have hp restrictions?

Or are you just looking to prove you don't have any more power than the rest of the field?
Old 09-09-2009, 01:56 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
How is a dyno going to rat out a cheater in a class that doesn't have hp restrictions?

Or are you just looking to prove you don't have any more power than the rest of the field?
It won't per se, but for example if all the D cars put out 175HP on the dyno and then one pops up at 210, that may say something....
Old 09-09-2009, 01:56 PM
comatb
Rennlist Member

Sean, I applaud you. In 944 Cup my PCA Stock class 2.5 L is limited to 144 Hp. My car has been dynoed at least 30 times by me and the Cup class and has never shown more than a 3 Hp variance as they have an atmospheric correction device. This variance includes at least four different dyno's. Cars are dynoed and weighed as they come off the track. No the dyno will not, can not catch all cheaters. But it is not that difficult for fellow competitors to spot a car with big Hp on the track and low Hp on the dyno. The dyno is not the be all and end all but it is a very real step in the right direction.

The naysayers have their heads in the sand!

Bill
Old 09-09-2009, 02:10 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

I think its a great idea. Just put them all on a 248e, because it is very hard to fool the big rollers. they all weigh the same, are all the same size , so if you spin them up the same, you get the same power. . Have everyone submit actual and SAE runs so anyone can see the if the correction factors are believable too.
sure, if you want to cheat, just run half throttle, its that simple. You would have to be a real jerk to do something like that in club racing, especially since this is just for discussion purposes.

Quick Reply: I propose a voluntary national dyno program