Sponsored by:

Autobahn trackday with VRaptor.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 04:47 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Autobahn trackday with VRaptor.

On vacation in the US and I preorganised through Seth to do some 1 on 1 coaching. He recommended a couple of guys and I decided to go with Mr VR himself. I can't speak more highly of the whole day and Dave's professionalism. We organised to hire a BMW (e39 M3) which was prepared by Fall-line. Very nice little car even if I did miss the boost.

The format and approach by Dave was excellent and I felt I improved through all of the many sessions throughout the day. The track itself is very tight and not overly fast but a good track to do some 1 on 1 coaching. So amongst the totally new car, new track, and LHD side of the car I felt I went ok but I was disappointed by my failure to get my shifts up to a more consistent level that I'm used to in my RHD car. Still, I had a ball and felt like I can take some positive things away from the day to use when I get home.

I can only suggest and recommend highly that if anyone wants some 1 on 1 instruction that is a couple levels up from the bored track instructor on DE days, then do yourself a favour and contact Dave or Seth. Top notch!

Apart from that we're enjoying our holidays so far. Everything is larger in the US. Cities, population, freeways, TRAFFIC, food servings!! I want to lighten my car but I think I need to work on me first! We'll be back though.
Old 09-26-2009, 05:49 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Somebody was impersonating VR?????
Old 09-26-2009, 05:54 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Patrick, glad to hear about you and VR........

Could you give us some of VR's tips or did he make you swear to secrecy?
Old 09-26-2009, 07:07 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

Was Kilbort there ?
Old 09-26-2009, 07:26 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,433 Likes on 767 Posts

Patrick, you are very, very kind to post this. It was a true pleasure to work with you, no BS. I loving working with folks with you because you already come with lots of skills and you understand the importance little nuances make in elevating your driving.

Cheers, mate! 'Till we meet again!

Gregg, no, he wasn't. :rolflmao:

Professional Racing and Driving Coach

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 09-27-2009 at 07:04 AM.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:42 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
Originally Posted by Gregg Lewis
Was Kilbort there ?

Patrick did you get your telemetry for evaluation ? where were most of your improvements ?
Old 09-26-2009, 11:00 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by A.Wayne

Patrick did you get your telemetry for evaluation ? where were most of your improvements ?

Wayne, we relied on a number of metrics to measure performance including lap times, segment times, entry speeds, and exit speeds. Considering your overall rhetoric and antipathy here, as well as your absolute lack of track experience, that is frankly all you need to know.

Old 09-27-2009, 01:19 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Wayne, we relied on a number of metrics to measure performance including lap times, segment times, entry speeds, and exit speeds. Considering your overall rhetoric and antipathy here, as well as your absolute lack of track experience, that is frankly all you need to know.

The irony , Such rhetoric and unprofessionalism to a simple question directed at Patrick regarding his experience ..

Thanks for the input ...
Attached Images  
Old 09-27-2009, 01:55 AM
DWalker
Racer

The irony , Such rhetoric and unprofessionalism to a simple question directed at Patrick regarding his experience ..

Thanks for the input ...
Why are you in this thread? I personally find it aggravating and detracting that you insist on posting in the performance and racing section when it is obvious that you are little more than a troll with consistently nothing positive or constructive added as a contribution to this forum. Every single post I have ever read from you is, if not actually off-topic, completely void of relevant material- even allowing for whatever "comic relief" you might provide. The issue of course is that those with solid, relevant information to post that will forward and benefit the forum are much less likely to post after reading your nonsense. Your very fortunate that the moderators here are tolerant and have allowed you to remain here as long as you have. Please do the right thing and find somewhere else to post your whimsy and drivel-

To the OP- I am glad you had a chance to enjoy yourself on one of our fine tracks!
Old 09-27-2009, 07:03 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the input ...

Oh, brother. THAT'S the best you can do?

DWalker is 100% correct, Wayne. You have proved that this is none of your business, and that you are way out of your element. Please stick with shilling Haltech.

Thanks for YOUR input.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:21 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

A bit hard to gain regular access to a computer while traveling. However I can comfortably say that Dave's ability to read, anticipate, and communicate what I was doing was excellent. To be more technical on the day would have been overkill. I was dealing with a totally new environment. The track I had never seen let alone driven on, the car being LHD was tricky. It was a great little car and perfect for the occasion however a high compression n/a car v's my low (8:1) turbo car with a heavier crank made timing downshifts pretty difficult and then dealing with someone I'd never met. Yet Dave made the whole experience easy and informative. I will certainly be trying a few different things once I get back into my car. Not sure how much I will be able to directly transfer until I get a bit of weight out of my car back home but it's all lodged away for the future.

Anyway I just wanted to pass on my positive experience and suggest to people that haven't had 1 on 1 driver coaching that it far exceeds some beginners class at DE or just pumping out laps on you're own time after time.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:38 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
GR
Old 09-27-2009, 10:43 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333

Anyway I just wanted to pass on my positive experience and suggest to people that haven't had 1 on 1 driver coaching that it far exceeds some beginners class at DE or just pumping out laps on you're own time after time.
Thanks for your posts and for reinforcing this key point. All too often I see drivers regressing into old, bad habits when they stop using others to evaluate their current performance. You were fortunate to find someone who not only knows how to improve your driving skills, you found he can communicate the concepts in a way that works for you.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:58 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

For sure. The ability to communicate mid corner so I could throw in a correction is a skill that I've not encountered before. I also figured out why I brake in a certain way that I'd never really considered much. I am used to doing a short initial pump before my main application. It's become a habit and while not being an extreme mistake, it has probably limited me by not having the best cadence through a particular event. I asked Dave to take the wheel in the later part of the day. He was immediately on the pace and showed me a few things that I hadn't seen or been doing myself. I was able to quickly transfer some of those aspects into my next laps and I believe I improved quickly by doing so. Sometimes you just have to have a different input and make no mistake, Dave can pedal a car very well. He's as good as anyone else I've been with and that includes some very good pros back home. Having a car similar to his own was a plus as well as he could pass on info that he had under his belt from years with a similar car.
Top day out!
Old 09-27-2009, 11:02 AM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Posting from my iPhone so excuse the spelling.

Patrick. I am glad you and Dave had a good time. I hope everything with getting the car and the track day experience was what you expected. I apologize again that I couldn't make it. I did make it worthwhile for missing though. I won my World Challenge Touring car race.

Dave. Thanks for filling in for me. I knew you would help Patrick be faster and a better driver when he gets back home.

Quick Reply: Autobahn trackday with VRaptor.