Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What I expected, but nice to know.
Thank you,
Old 10-09-2009, 10:20 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm hearing both sides on this, and that's fine. But, I don't think I'd object to postings of my own car if/when we shunt. In fact, I know that there's footage of my only wreck a few years ago, and I'd do anything to see it.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:46 PM
Tim
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Club Racing News posted a pic of our car burning at Watkins Glen a few years ago..

Turbo feed line let go.. oil spraying on hot turbo= flambed bodywork

The pic was posted on the net also...

I have no problem that the pictures were published and spread... Lots of looky loos took pictures...Lots of other people saw the car also... the corner workers, marshalls, scruts....

It was not a secret that the car got toasted..lots of people saw the fire... We did get the car on track the next day ..

A few hundred saw the action in real life... then it spread to the web... big frkiken deal..
Old 10-10-2009, 07:45 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gums
I'm hearing both sides on this, and that's fine. But, I don't think I'd object to postings of my own car if/when we shunt. In fact, I know that there's footage of my only wreck a few years ago, and I'd do anything to see it.
I think that is the key point. There should be some professional courtesy if you will and pictures should only be posted by the owners themselves or with the owners permission.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:21 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Darren
Personally, I find it irritating when DE guys who tape up their cars so they don't get "chips" come by and take cell phone picks at someone's car, esp after racing incidents. The same guys come by at DE and say things like "Why don't you clean your wheels" or "Why are you always working on things" or "Why is there a clutch disc on the ground" Yeah I changed my clutch, so what? I've seen Honda Challenge guys swap motors and race 3 hours later.

Most DE people would never understand racing. Racers break things and if they don't they're slow. Racers don't take pictures of wrecks.
Wow! Really??? You're joking, right?

Originally Posted by kurt M
What DE's do you go to? I have spent plenty of time driving DE and working CR and see many of the same people at both. I can't think of a time someone asked about cleaning wheels or chastised me for working on my or someone else’s car. Greens start out with some misconceptions but most pick it up. An image of a tire walled car might make some new to the sport students understand that DE has risks that must be understood, dealt with and mitigated rather than dismissed.
+1
I would like to meet the DE'er that was moronic enough to ask "Why are you always working on things?" and yet informed enough to still know what a clutch disk looked like.

This will be a little off topic, but if it demonstrates that there is at least one example where photos are instructive, it would also demonstrate that it's not a black or white issue... it all depends on the motives behind the post...

This looks likes a wrecked VW, right?

A closer look reveals something from Honda inside...

From the other side... a Honda motorcycle

I can't verify the story, but as received, it went like this:

Motorcyclist was doing 85 mph.
The VW driver (with a passenger) pulled out in front of the motorcyclist from a side street, talking on a cell phone.
The VW flipped over from the force of impact and landed 20 feet from where the collision took place.
Motorcyclist was found inside the car; all three killed instantly.

Displayed by a police department, so in this case, instructional value for a public safety message trumped privacy.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:25 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by ervtx
I would like to meet the DE'er that was moronic enough to ask "Why are you always working on things?"
I ask Vito that about his 924 S all the time......

Last edited by Gary R.; 10-11-2009 at 11:16 AM.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:43 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I ask Vito that about his 924 all the time......
Oh, don't get me started...
Old 10-10-2009, 12:01 PM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

RSA333: Agreed !! Every off, every incident, every crash can and should be a teachable event; particularly mine.

Jack
Old 10-10-2009, 01:41 PM
v-tach
Burning Brakes

Gary ..Not anymore than u poppin belts all the time..oh And by the way it's a 924 S !
Vito

Last edited by v-tach; 10-10-2009 at 01:56 PM.
Old 10-10-2009, 02:40 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by v-tach
Gary ..Not anymore than u poppin belts all the time..oh And by the way it's a 924 S !
Vito
I knew if I chummed you would pop up!!
Old 10-10-2009, 02:54 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by onefastviking
Agreed, but my point is that everyone can learn from looking closely at the crash. Yes, I look deeper than most. I also still learn from the wrecked DE cars, it's helpfull to know what the strong points are in a chassis when installing rollcage plates. Most people don't realize how many things can become projectiles inside of thier cars in a crash, and this especially goes in DE cars.
Your point is well taken, but...

You and I are different. It is only instructive if you know what you are looking at, or if you have someone present that can explain it within a proper perspective. Otherwise, it is far more likely that the person looking will misinterpret what they are seeing, and worse, offer it up to everyone else as evidence of something totally false. To wit; the classic pic of the 3-Series Bimmer with the roof cut off and laying in the car, ignorrantly used ad nauseum to show why you must have a roll bar with race seats.

You have to be careful whur ya gitcher info, dooooods.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:09 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by onefastviking
I think that is the key point. There should be some professional courtesy if you will and pictures should only be posted by the owners themselves or with the owners permission.
Exactly
Old 10-11-2009, 12:50 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you don't want people taking pictures of your wreck.... don't fecking wreck!!!

I've had my fill of bitches and whiners today. It's just a picture. deal with it. So you're embarrased about it. man up.

if i wreck my car, go ahead and take pics. it'll be a warning to everyone: don't track your car unless you can afford to wreck it and walk away from it. (and be man enough to take the (hopefully constructive) criticism that comes with crashing a car.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:20 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by v-tach
Vito
Ah, OK then, slag away!

Besides, we all know it's only the 2.0L'ers that're indestructible...
Old 10-12-2009, 11:15 AM
RICHVIZZ951
Racer

Frankie babe!!!

Id love to see that video of your spectacular wreck, whos got it??

Personally, I Never go to look at crashed cars in the paddock or bone yard, and I try Not to watch crash videos unless the concensus is that it shows some mistakes that led up to the incident, and can be used as a learning tool.
I try to keep the Karma Card clean..

Quick Reply: Crash Posting - Just wondering