Sponsored by:

Tow Vehicle Neede

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 08:58 AM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by schwank
Any comment on this from the gallery? I have been looking quite a bit and vans seem cheaper than diesel pickups or Excursions. And I would prefer an enclosed vehicle anyways for security of my tools and such.

I have located a couple local diesel cargo vans... 1 is a 2006 CHEVROLET 3500 CARGO van with the 6.6L diesel, and the other is a 06 Ford E350 with the 6.0L. Both have around 75K miles and have reasonable asking prices that are 5K+ less than a F250 with 100K+ miles.

I don't care about luxury... I need a reliable tow/housework vehicle that I can take on 3hour tows to tracks around the region. I don't use it for daily driving and I don't have kids. As I said earlier, right now I am pulling ~4500lbs and maybe in a couple years would move to something enclosed. Would a diesel cargo van work for this?
I would think either of those full-size vans would be fine. They're built on the pickup chassis IIRC so you're just going enclosed instead of PU, and of course you'll feel the wind just a bit more.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:03 AM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Z-man
Regarding the BMW X5 and other similar SUV's (Toyota FJ, the Ranger Rover LR3, and even the Benz ML) -- the short wheelbase on these trucks can make for a less stable setup, especially on the highways with lots of crosswinds.

OTOH, it does make it easier to swing the trailer around in tight spaces...

-Z-man.
This is true, although we haven't had any problem pulling our Trailex with the MB, it was a concern when we were shopping. I expect it would be more of an issue with an enclosed trailer behind it.

BTW the prior owner of our Trailex pulled a BMW (front engine) on it. We had some trouble with it wandering with the Cayman (mid engine) on board - until I moved the axles back one setting. That took a little over an hour (also had to move the fenders, cargo box and spare tire back) plus I had to extend the brake line (just bought a 3' flanged line) and now it tows beautifully. In the process I discovered that many of the bolts on the trailer (esp tire rack) were not tight so I did a complete inspect and re-tighten all around. Kept the torque low as there is a lot of soft aluminum.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:12 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by schwank
Any comment on this from the gallery? I have been looking quite a bit and vans seem cheaper than diesel pickups or Excursions. And I would prefer an enclosed vehicle anyways for security of my tools and such.

I have located a couple local diesel cargo vans... 1 is a 2006 CHEVROLET 3500 CARGO van with the 6.6L diesel, and the other is a 06 Ford E350 with the 6.0L. Both have around 75K miles and have reasonable asking prices that are 5K+ less than a F250 with 100K+ miles.

I don't care about luxury... I need a reliable tow/housework vehicle that I can take on 3hour tows to tracks around the region. I don't use it for daily driving and I don't have kids. As I said earlier, right now I am pulling ~4500lbs and maybe in a couple years would move to something enclosed. Would a diesel cargo van work for this?
Yes, they will work fine. We have several guys in our area who use those vans for towing.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:41 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

All my friends said pedofile when I brought the van idea up. I like the airbag suspensions. Any Avalancche/Escalade EXT,GMC Envoy XL users out there ?
Old 01-03-2010, 12:10 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gregg Lewis
Any Avalancche/Escalade EXT,GMC Envoy XL users out there ?
Gregg, I have a 2007 Avalanche LTZ w tow package. Tow package includes self-leveling suspension and transmission cooler. I pull an all-steel open trailer with a GT3 on it. The most extreme stress test it's been through was a 5-hour trip at interstate speeds in the middle of a Texas summer (100+). The transmission temps never went above maximum recommended operating range, but hovered close to the range in hilly areas.

Excellent ride ('07's are built on the Suburban platform, not the previous truck platform). Terrible gas mileage, but at least it doesn't take a big hit when towing - just the usual 13 -16 mpg depending on how heavy my foot is that day. It's obviously very versatile by design, which is why I chose it. I got rear ended a year ago by a Toyota 4 Runner - I was stopped and it was doing over 35 mph. 4Runner was literally demolished, but the Avalanche suffered damage only on the bumper and 1 rear quarter panel. Since then, I've come to grips with the gas mileage issue

I would definitely buy it again. FWIW, I don't know why anyone would consider an Escalade unless they wanted an Avalanche LTZ with bling on the outside.

Originally Posted by John H
Which is better for towing, torque or HP?
Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
It takes an AWFULLY large number of gallons, when you are making a couple of MPG more with a diesel, to overcome that acquisition cost.

IMO the only exception to this is if you live in and/or tow to an area with numerouns & EXTREMELY steep hills, such as the entrance road to Laguna Seca.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Agreed. If you run out of HP or torque, there is always momentum. Gas vehicles are momentum vehicles. Less brake; more gas, and all that jazz....

Last edited by ervtx; 01-03-2010 at 12:36 PM.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:57 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ervtx

I would definitely buy it again. FWIW, I don't know why anyone would consider an Escalade unless they wanted an Avalanche LTZ with bling on the outside.
Bling!!

But I already put bigger slotted brakes on it...

Still Have the T-Reg also.. As someone else mentioned, it is a great tow vehicle too..
Attached Images   
Old 01-03-2010, 02:11 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,437 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by 007DT
Bling!!

Still Have the T-Reg also.. As someone else mentioned, it is a great tow vehicle too..

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 02-11-2010 at 02:00 PM.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:22 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregg Lewis
All my friends said pedofile when I brought the van idea up. I like the airbag suspensions. Any Avalancche/Escalade EXT,GMC Envoy XL users out there ?
Check out this beauty on Craig's List. Same color as your car. It's perfect for you.
Attached Images  
Old 01-03-2010, 02:24 PM
CornerCarver
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bling!!

Dave,

I have a nice thick gold chain to go with it..
Old 01-03-2010, 02:25 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

I had to 1 up you VR

Attached Images  
Old 01-03-2010, 02:25 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John H
Check out this beauty on Craig's List. Same color as your car. It's perfect for you.
Pffttt. That's only a 1/2 ton van. You'll need at least a 3/4 ton to tow properly.

Old 01-03-2010, 02:27 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

I had to 1 up you VR

Amateur.

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 02-11-2010 at 02:00 PM.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:31 PM
CornerCarver
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Amateur.

Why would you even try to go up against VR?
Old 01-03-2010, 02:39 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

For better mileage don't forget to pump up the tow vehilce and trailer tires to the max. pressure allowed. It may be a little bouncy, but it does make a noticable difference in mileage....
Old 01-03-2010, 11:04 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

i use to pull a 24', 22' and 18' steel enclosed trailer with a yukon xl 1500 series. I would trailer anywhere from 3 to 5 hours away from my house. Never had a problem. The first Yukie i had did not have the airide but i put manual bags in the rear and then i bought one with the airide suspension. I just changed the tranny fluid every 3 months.

Quick Reply: Tow Vehicle Neede