Sponsored by:

The Robin Hood Rally

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 03:20 AM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ervtx
VC's place really big bets with other people's money. Big Money; Big Risks. They don't adhere to the usual norms when it comes to promoting their big bets. The NBC connection could have been a trial balloon for all we know. Incredible to us, perhaps, but SOP in their world.
i'm very familiar with the VC world - i cannot envision this type of scenario for an investment with reputable firms. i'm not saying they're not, but it doesn't pass the sniff test. speculation, make a quick buck? maybe...
Old 01-07-2010, 09:17 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm not defending them. Nor am I criticizing them. I see conflicting signs (as I inferred in an earlier post). So when someone concludes that it's a scam, that it demonstrates unscrupulous business practices, or is not well thought out - while not accounting for easily obtained data to the contrary - as the OP I feel compelled to point that out. I acknowledge that it could be a scam. But I don't personally reach that conclusion.

Regarding sniff tests....

A quick review of their website (for anyone taking the time to read it) reveals their belief that their marketing techniques are differentiators for them. "We can assist with not only developing the vision, but also, recommending (and in some situations performing) much of the actual sales and marketing implementation. We can “stand in” for the Presiden, or Senior VP’s of Marketing as companies undergo change. " Expect non-traditional methods.

And does anyone believe that this is a scam? http://www.limerockclub.com/

It's the same VC! Passes my sniff test.

On the other hand (again)....

I found this in the customer testimonials....
Thank you for all you have done and all you continue to do to help me to make a long-dormant dream come true. Thank you for believing so much in yourselves and in Lime Rock Park to have made our club so fantastic."

My very best, Stephanie, November 2008
Steve, Stephan, Stephanie... oh my!

Like I said... conflicting signs.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:23 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ervtx
Just playing devil's advocate here...

Professional rally events in other countries are run much closer to the trees and houses than any US highway rally could ever get, not to mention the fans who line the routes, so what's the difference? Sure, these would be amateurs, but in putting their own personal property at risk just to enter, you'd expect them to drive with a little more caution than a professional.
The bold is the important part. This is the land of insurance and frivolous lawsuits, someone could sign a waiver and still sue when they wreck. In other countries you can DE with no helmet, race with no safety gear etc etc.

That won't work in the states. Nor would any event have spectators allowed to be standing at the apex of a rally. Take the spectator part out and now you have pro's in fully caged race cars vs amateurs with seat-belts on.

There is a HUGE difference in that.

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I suspect he and Stephan are the very same person.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach

^^ What he said ^^
Old 01-16-2010, 11:28 AM
Coulthard Fan
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default another applicant

Hey Pcar fans,

The guy organizing this - Stephan Condodemetraky - is pretty well known here on the East Coast for his affiliation with Lime Rock and Skip Barber. I spoke to him on Friday at length about the event and I was satisfied that it is coming together. The way I look at it is that this is an opportunity to do the time trials that I regularly compete in anyway in a unique environment... on closed off public roads, instead of the usual Summit Point, Watkins Glen, VIR, etc.
Don't get me wrong, I love going to traditional road courses and they are surely safer to race on, but this Rally appeals to me for the same reason the Newfoundland Rally is appealing, it looks like more fun than a barrel full of monkeys on crystal meth. Come on, admit it: there is a highway onramp near you where you have said to yourself "I wonder how fast I could take this if I mounted my Hoosiers?"

With respect to the cost, again in my view there are always entry fees for amateur races and DE's, and this is no different. Some people are taking the view that because it is being pitched as a reality show or whatever, and they should actually be paid to "appear" on the show. Instead, I'm looking at it as a fun event that may also result in some relatively low cost publicity for my business. I am also aware of the $ costs and huge expenditure of time that the organizers must be incurring to put this on, and I doubt anyone else could put on a similar event for less.

BTW: I have been lurking here for years without posting; the Cayenne section was particularly helpful in figuring out how to get my new-to-me GTS ready to tow my race trailer.

Scott
http://www.tax-whistleblower.com/racing/
Old 01-17-2010, 10:32 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Point of clarification here: Steve113 is a good buddy of mine and a 944SuperCup competitor. He is the real deal as far as driving goes, a fantastic competitor and great sportsman. He also runs and insurance company that provides DE OnTrack Insurance. Did I mention that he blew our doors off this year in SuperCup with a perfect season of 10 wins?
He is very definitely NOT the same guy as Stephan Condodemetraky who I believe was involved at the Lime Rock Driver's club and is promoting this event.
Now, it has also come to my attention that a production company or outfit is now in place to film the event, headed by noted Porsche guys and accomplished film types Joe DiSalvo and Ken Stadt.
It could get interesting.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:00 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the update!

I got a 2nd postcard soliciting sign-up, so they must be really desperate for drivers!
Old 01-20-2010, 01:30 PM
JerryW
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just received this e-mail from Skip Barber Racing

ALERT: Robin Hood Rally

You may have heard about a "Robin Hood Rally" through email, internet forums or because you recently received a post card or two in the mail soliciting participants for a reality TV show apparently being offered to various channels for airing this fall.

It has come to our attention that the operators of Robin Hood Rally may have obtained unauthorized access to a Skip Barber Racing School mailing list from a third party and have been using it in connection with these mailings. Robin Hood Rally was never provided with any mailing list by SBRS nor did SBRS authorize them to contact our customers in any way.

SKIP BARBER RACING SCHOOL IS NOT INVOLVED IN ANY WAY WITH ROBIN HOOD RALLY, nor do we endorse, promote or support this event, or any of its mailings.

Robin Hood Rally has been the subject of a story from the NBC affiliate here in Connecticut refuting the rally organizer's original claim that the reality show being produced would air this fall on NBC, see http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/statio..._Hartford.html

We apologize for any inconvenience and we are taking steps to ensure that this does not happen again in the future. For more information on Skip Barber Racing School's Privacy Policy, please visit http://www.skipbarber.com/company/privacy/

Jim Altemus
Marketing Manager,
Skip Barber Racing School
Old 01-20-2010, 01:37 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,403 Likes on 748 Posts

I just received the same email. Oops!

Professional Racing and Driving Coach

Old 01-20-2010, 03:20 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

I just received this email from Skip Barber:

You may have heard about a "Robin Hood Rally" through email, internet forums or because you recently received a post card or two in the mail soliciting participants for a reality TV show apparently being offered to various channels for airing this fall.

It has come to our attention that the operators of Robin Hood Rally may have obtained unauthorized access to a Skip Barber Racing School mailing list from a third party and have been using it in connection with these mailings. Robin Hood Rally was never provided with any mailing list by SBRS nor did SBRS authorize them to contact our customers in any way.

SKIP BARBER RACING SCHOOL IS NOT INVOLVED IN ANY WAY WITH ROBIN HOOD RALLY, nor do we endorse, promote or support this event, or any of its mailings.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:31 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Doh! I just noticed my enzo.

Same here...
Attached Images  
Old 01-20-2010, 08:14 PM
d15b7
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

hi guys.

i'm signed up (after researching it a little and thinking about it, i signed up about two weeks ago); i filled out the application; paid the $1k deposit, spoke with the producer(s) on the telephone, and am scheduled for my screening interview next tuesday in stamford, CT at 1:30pm at the Marriott.

i'll let you know how it goes; i expect i'll be in the junkiest, most beatup racecar there. but it has heart, and i'm willing to drive it at 110% pace on back roads that i have no experience on. hopefully some of the 'rich guys with real fast cars' won't want to take those kinds of risks with their 'nice' cars. we'll see, i guess!

i think that they will decide after the screen test in fairly short order who will be in the 'game' and who will get refunds and be presented with the 'thanks but no thanks' letter.....

todd
ReidSpeed
Old 01-21-2010, 08:43 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 74 Posts

Go Reidspeed!

A few of the sample roads are pretty close to Summit. I stumbled across one thru WV on my way to Deep Creek last year. Up thru the mountains. It is unbelievable out there road wise. Nothing even close could be built today with our current group of sissy lawmakers Really amazing roadways
out there.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:06 PM
ktsf1indy
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Gents - staying up to speed on the viral marketing machine of the internet is a tall order...whew, we're tired, but excited for our screening interview sessions in Stamford, CT next week. Sadly, I won't be driving my recently-sold 87 944 Turbo there (a neighbor made me a sweet offer and his son now has a nice starter track car). I'm shopping for my next Porsche and will scour the classifieds.

I received a copy of the SBRS email as well (I am a school graduate!) and was honestly stunned with their accusation, which is simply untrue and a cease and desist letter was promptly sent to the SBRS counsel. Special interest mailing and email lists can be purchased by anyone willing to spend a sizable amount of money. SBRS is naive to think that many of their email leads are only theirs. As a passionate motor racing and automobile enthusiast, I am on several email and mailing lists (some good, some bad) and I'm sure my name has been sold several times over the years.

We have asked for an immediate retraction and apology from SBRS (although, we don't anticipate getting one). It really is a shame as we anticipated some exciting co-branding opportunities. I guess they perceived we were taking away some of their business, which may be true in a microcosm, otherwise why would they care? We have nothing to hide and have an incredible team moving this project along. The tasks involved to put this together are tremendously challenging, but we will succeed.

We sent out a second post-card mailer as a follow up because we know the first one is often thrown out (even my wife wondered what it was when it showed up in my mailbox!!!).

If anyone has any questions or comments, you can email me at: ksweeney@robinhoodrally.com or ktsf1indy@gmail.com.

Kevin Sweeney
VP Business Development
The Robin Hood Rally
www.robinhoodrally.com

Last edited by ktsf1indy; 01-22-2010 at 04:03 PM.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:21 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Old 01-22-2010, 05:07 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ktsf1indy
We have asked for an immediate retraction and apology from SBRS (although, we don't anticipate getting one). It really is a shame as we anticipated some exciting co-branding opportunities. I guess they perceived we were taking away some of their business, which may be true in a microcosm, otherwise why would they care?

Kevin Sweeney
VP Business Development
The Robin Hood Rally
www.robinhoodrally.com
I don't suppose you would be willing to post the contents of that request for retraction and apology here for all to see? SBRS's email is in the public domain, and after all, we are the people who are the subject of your disagreements.

Kudos for stopping by and offering your insight and contact info. Good luck with the rally.

Quick Reply: The Robin Hood Rally