Sponsored by:

997S - What Next?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 10:30 PM
DanJK
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997S - What Next?

I currently have a 2007 997S that I tracked 4 times in 2009.

I hope to do at least that in 2010 - starting with VIR DE in March.

Recently I bought a new daily driver, so I have some flexibility to do some upgrades to the 997 now. I still would like to be able to drive it on roads, but shifting more towards a track setup.

Would love some suggestions on where to start. I'd like to do the modifications piece-meal so that I can test how the changes effect my own feel and performance.

Any thoughts on where a good place to start would be? Coil overs, sway bars, moton? Right now it is stock except an aftermarket exhaust. Thanks. Really appreciate any suggestions.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:47 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

For now the stock suspension is fine. You will need to make a few changes to get a proper alignment. Camber plates in front to get negative 2 camber. Rear suspension can get neg 2.5 without any parts swap.

Change to better brake fluid, I like Motul RB 660 and you will need better pads, I like Pagid RS 29. Those two changes will seriously improve track performance. Sticky tires will also increase your enjoyment and that may mean an extra set of rims.

After that, it is a slippery slope. Better seats (unless you already have the GT2 seats in your car). A roll bar and harnesses, suspension changes ... you name it! Have fun!
Old 01-17-2010, 11:10 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Race seats, 6 pt harnesses and a HANS device. Nothing else will do you more good than safety.

The car, in stock form, is way beyond your present skill level and no other mods will do you any good if you are if are not healthy enough to drive.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:26 PM
DanJK
Racer

Thanks, good suggestions.

I am using ATE blue and the pads are something I considered once I wear the stock pads out.

I wasn't thinking safety, but thats smart, and I will now.

Roll bar and harnesses, as you both suggest, sound like a good investment.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:37 PM
Psycho Sid
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chipping is an inexpensive way to get a little extra go and like Bob said breaks & tires, but nothing will improve your lap time more than getting out there and chasing the adrenaline!!

Enjoy the rush.

Sid.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:51 PM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes, this is a slippery slope. what I did to my 997S:

castrol SRF or a brake fluid more suitable for track use
pagid yellow pads - i swap them out when i have enough time (these are not street pads, they'll squeal like mad)
separate set of wheels with toyo's / dedicated track tires

i looked into a bunch of other stuff (harness, sway bars, etc) but opted against it because i tote the kids around and take the car in mostly city driving...

reposting the brake fluid chart just as an FYI.
Attached Images  
Old 01-18-2010, 12:52 AM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

IMO, the best for a new tracker to improve to get the most out of a stock car, besides safety - which should always come first, is data acquisition. It gives so much information that it has been the best single mod I did to my car and improve my driving.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:56 AM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dont forget you cant really run harnesses without proper seats.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:12 AM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by paradisenb
Race seats, 6 pt harnesses and a HANS device. Nothing else will do you more good than safety.

The car, in stock form, is way beyond your present skill level and no other mods will do you any good if you are if are not healthy enough to drive.
+18 million
Old 01-18-2010, 09:28 AM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Harnesses and seats, but if you have the money to burn, buy a track car now before you tear apart your really nice street car. You should be able to get a car that already has really good safety features and proper suspension etc. Just doing seats, roll bar, harnesses, and the minor suspension items Bob suggested will set you back 8k (unless your doing the work). I have a stock 997 I use around town that has been on the track a couple of times when my race car was being worked on and in stock trim the car is plenty fast enough to run with the instructor group.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:41 AM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

seats, harnesses, rollbar.

And after a couple dozen track days, r tires on track rims and upgraded pads.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:46 AM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The oiling system is not the best for doing lots of track time. Not sure what the exact problem is, but a friend of mine ended up buying a new motor for his 997S after a few seasons with lots of track time.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:50 AM
DanJK
Racer

Thanks for the help.

I considered a dedicated track car, but I would hate to give up those weekends taking my car for a nice drive.

Are there any cages that allow you to remove the cross bar to accommodate a rear passenger - very rarely? Finally, what are the seat options to accept a harness - if you don't want to do a full race set up like sparco? Could I do a truss instead of the cage to do the harness? Thanks again.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:53 AM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

bobt993 is giving good advice. Find somebody else's old track car and take that to the track. It will save you TONS of $. TONS.

This is no doubt not what you want to hear but it's good advice.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:01 AM
944CS
Drifting

http://www.bkauto.com/porsche/r1035.php
Removes with 4 bolts and also fits the character of the car (in terms of quality/engineering). You don't need a cage if you are using that.

As far as seats are concerned, for your dual usage your best (however most expensive as well) option would be these http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/p...7-p-57583.html

Quick Reply: 997S - What Next?