Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boxster S model for NASA GTS

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 12:13 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We run ours with a little old 3.2Liter motor, but it does fine. Ran NASA GTS3 this last weekend at Hallett and had some good results. Will update more later, tired and headed to bed now.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:43 PM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Reviving an old thread once again. I’m considering making the jump from DE to racing, and NASA GTS3 is the most popular race class at my local track. Most local GTS3 participants run some variation of an e36. Well set up e36’s are widely available for reasonable prices, but I’d rather track a Porsche. A 3.4L Boxster with modest weight reductions would fit nicely at the fast end of the weight-to-power range for GTS3, but it seems there aren’t many people running Boxsters in that class locally or elsewhere, based on a cursory search. Is this because of some inherent performance advantage of an e36 vs a Boxster, cheaper running costs for the BMW, or something else? FWIW, my local track is fairly fast, with a longish straight and some fast esses. I noted that that the e36 has a much longer wheelbase than a Boxster (about 11 inches), although the track is narrower and the shape looks less aerodynamic. Not sure if any of that is relevant to the wider prevalence of e36’s, but would like to avoid picking a given platform and then later learn that it can’t be competitive.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:30 AM
magnetic1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fbirch
Reviving an old thread once again.
Old thread indeed! Now you have to contend with Caymans and E46 M3s in GTS3
Old 01-03-2014, 09:03 PM
Brinkley
Pro

fbirch,

I've been racing and developing a dedicated Boxster S 3.6L for years. It is for sale and below are the details. I've tried to include the hyperlink but can't so if your interested in the pictures posted on Rennlist, search "FS: Boxster S 3.6L"

PRICE REDUCED

For Sale: Boxster S 3.6L Race Car

Here are the key details.

2000 Porsche Boxster S Race car - 2,538# total weight w/o driver

MOTOR & TRANSMISSION
2004 3.6L 996 motor
(Jan-2013) Rear Main Seal (RMS) replaced
Motor confirmed to have the Newer Intermediate Shaft (IMS) Bearing
Porsche Motorsports Air Oil Separator
X51 Oil Baffle System
FVD Exhaust headers straight flow exhaust

MoTeC Engine Management, M800 ECU
MoTeC SDL Dash logger
MoTeC i2 Standard Data Acquisition
MoTeC track data files provided with set up book (if desired)
MoTeC GPS Antenna for start finish laps and Google Earth race line overlays

AASCO Motorsports flywheel
Guards Transmission (GT) LSD GT2RPro 4340 Chromoly LSD 80/50 Lockup
(June-2013) 6 Speed Transmission rebuilt

SUSPENSION
27mm 5 way adjustable front bar
19.75mm 2 way adjustable rear bar
Tarett extended front drop link bracket attached to shock
Moton 15 position Double Adjustable Motorsport Remote Reservoir Shocks
Eibach Main Springs 700 pounds front, 800 pounds rear
(Aug-2012) All suspension parts replaced: all lower control arms, rear forward arms, front A arms, rear toe arms

WHEELS
2 Sets of Enkei Performance NT03+M
18x8.5
18x10

GENERAL
AMB Transponder
Lexan windscreen and rear window
Air jacks (3) with spares and trigger control "Cup Car Solution" air wand
Cool Suit
Ultra Shield race seat (2)
(Feb-2013) New 6 point Schroth race harness
(Feb-2013) New Schroth window net
(Feb-2013) New Schroth right side driver net
3 Jet Fire Suppression system
GT3 Cup front nose with custom brake duct intakes, 3 radiators with ducting
Racing Electronic Motorola Radios
Custom sealed double feed air box with K&N filter
Braided steel brake lines
Ultra light roof skin no liner
Fiberglass light shape replacements
Single custom windshield wiper sweep

RACE CLASS
PCA Class GT3S
PBOC Class R3
NASA Class GT3S

Lap times
2:21 Sebring
1:36 Road Atlanta
1:40 Barber
2:07 VIR
2:03 Daytona
1:37 Homestead

Video and Pictures below. Tons of high resolution pics available if interested.
https://vimeo.com/64022483

https://vimeo.com/57728260

Asking $39,000

Car is located in Tampa FL
Also, if interested, 42 ft triple axel Haulmark gooseneck and Honda mini truck pit support vehicle. Inquire for pictures, pricing, and info on those items.
Contact Chad Knoerr at 941.545.9688 or cknoerr@tampabay.rr.com
Old 01-03-2014, 10:23 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fbirch
Reviving an old thread once again. I’m considering making the jump from DE to racing, and NASA GTS3 is the most popular race class at my local track. Most local GTS3 participants run some variation of an e36. Well set up e36’s are widely available for reasonable prices, but I’d rather track a Porsche. A 3.4L Boxster with modest weight reductions would fit nicely at the fast end of the weight-to-power range for GTS3, but it seems there aren’t many people running Boxsters in that class locally or elsewhere, based on a cursory search. Is this because of some inherent performance advantage of an e36 vs a Boxster, cheaper running costs for the BMW, or something else? FWIW, my local track is fairly fast, with a longish straight and some fast esses. I noted that that the e36 has a much longer wheelbase than a Boxster (about 11 inches), although the track is narrower and the shape looks less aerodynamic. Not sure if any of that is relevant to the wider prevalence of e36’s, but would like to avoid picking a given platform and then later learn that it can’t be competitive.
3.4 996's kill in GTS3. The 2010 National GTS3 champ was one in 996 Spec trim. Unfortunately there's very few around running with NASA. You could run R-compounds close to 2850/260, or slicks at something like 2870/240....
Old 01-03-2014, 10:56 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Brinkley
fbirch,

2000 Porsche Boxster S Race car - 2,538# total weight w/o driver

MOTOR & TRANSMISSION
2004 3.6L 996 motor

FVD Exhaust headers straight flow exhaust

MoTeC Engine Management, M800 ECU

RACE CLASS
PCA Class GT3S
PBOC Class R3
NASA Class GT3S
Looks like a great car but that engine and stated weight would indicate a NASA GTS4 car (not 3) unless rwhp is being restricted somehow. Most folks are easily getting 300+ rwhp.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:55 PM
Brinkley
Pro

jakermc,

I haven't kept up with the rules of NASA so I didn't know the weight to HP breakdowns. Is GTS4 faster or slower than GTS3?
Old 01-04-2014, 09:36 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Brinkley
jakermc,

I haven't kept up with the rules of NASA so I didn't know the weight to HP breakdowns. Is GTS4 faster or slower than GTS3?
Faster. 9.0:1 ratio on slicks or 9.5:1 on R-compound. My 996 is also a PBOC R3 / PCA GT3 / NASA GTS4 build, just like yours.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:45 PM
ukrbmw
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GTS4 is faster and without a restrictor you are likely in 4. In GTS3 you have to be at 11:1 hp to weight, GTS4 is 8.5:1.

Watched your videos - car looks very well balanced. I'm moving to FL and will be running PBOC R3 with my vintage BMW. Hopefully I'll see you there.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:10 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haven't posted here on RL in some time (it says I haven't signed in for over 13 months!) but I found this thread on a google search and wanted to say thanks to everyone for posting the info. Glad it was bumped lately so I don't feel bad pulling this back up.

I took some time off racing to save money for a major home addition but I am planning a build of my street 2001 986S into a dual purpose racer... GTS3 around 11:1 and ICSCC ST at 10:1. I should be able to make those changes relatively easily. Will probably start with my 3.2 but depending on how the final numbers come together I will perhaps eventually look at a 3.4L. From Viking's posts it looks like a 3.2 is still a reasonable option.

NASA has just started up in the PNW but I have run the 25 hour at THill 4 times in an E30 BMW. Time to go faster and we could probably do OK in E0, other than perhaps the fuel usage. Has anyone here run as GTS3 at Thunderhill? Looking to see some approximate laptimes and gas mileage info. On a fresh motor and good build, is a 25 hour enduro doable in the Boxster?

Edit: One other question... any of you guys make modifications to the gearbox beyond LSD? I have read about 2nd gear issues and see some of the California Motorsports parts that look to beef up the internals.

Last edited by schwank; 01-25-2014 at 09:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Boxster S model for NASA GTS