Harness Hardware

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 05:19 PM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Harness Hardware

this is for DE Use only:

We just put a roll bar into our CaymanS and it bolts to the seat belt attachment point at the floor. The design of the mount crowds the harness clip, so we're thinking of using a carabiner to add a link and give some room. The configuration would be the standard harness attachment bolted to the rollbar/seatbelt connection point, then the carabiner or whatever attached to it, and then the lap belt clipped in. Obviously we'd use a carabiner with high strength rating (11,000 lbs). We'd do this on both sides of the car.

Does this make sense, would it pass tech, or is there a better solution? I didn't find anything at the harness mfgr web sites or Brey Krauss.

Thanks,
p-cardriver

Edit: This is the piece that we have bolted in and would clip the carabiner into: http://www.bkauto.com/porsche/r9003.php
Old 02-13-2010, 10:13 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why don't you just use a long piece like these?

Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:04 AM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Why don't you just use a long piece like these?

Won't fit. The problem is the "foot" of the roll bar has a recess where the bolt goes in to the seat belt bolt location. This recess is as deep as the B-K piece (call it an inch) and just big enough for that piece to fit in at about +/- 15 degrees from TDC. So the recess is too small for the longer piece. The recess sides force the lap harness belt to stick straight out into the interior of the car, then of course routing the belt to the seat gives it a 90 degree bend with a slight twist. There is zero motion in the belt connection because of this tight fittment. So to get some movement I want another link (carabiner) or a mount like the B-K I have the sits out maybe 2 inches, or any other ideas that would be DE safe and pass tech.

I'd take pics but the car isn't here and I won't be able to get to it for over a week.

Here is a link to the roll bar - note the picture showing the mounts at the floor: http://shop.fvd.de/us/en/Porsche-0/C...ss-bar%29.html

Thanks,
Old 02-14-2010, 09:23 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see what you are talking about. Rather than inside of it, couldn't you put the longer BK piece "outboard" of the mount, i.e. between the rocker panel boss and the rollbar mount?
Old 02-14-2010, 09:36 AM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

You might post up on the Heigo bar threads on caymanclub.net. I've seen this bar installed on two Caymans here in Texas both with Schroth's, from this thread it appears some used the rear seat bracket bolt, not ideal, but I've been guilty of the same.

http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxst...s-heigo-2.html
Old 02-14-2010, 10:14 AM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
I see what you are talking about. Rather than inside of it, couldn't you put the longer BK piece "outboard" of the mount, i.e. between the rocker panel boss and the rollbar mount?
That might work - I'll have to measure and make sure the longer piece can be positioned so the lap belt works properly in all seat positions. Good thought - thanks.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:16 AM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by consolidated
You might post up on the Heigo bar threads on caymanclub.net. I've seen this bar installed on two Caymans here in Texas both with Schroth's, from this thread it appears some used the rear seat bracket bolt, not ideal, but I've been guilty of the same.

http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxst...s-heigo-2.html
Also a good thought. Will post there - the pics in that thread don't show the lap belt bolted in, which suggests it is mounted to the seat. If so, I don't think that will pass tech around here, but I've asked our tech guru for input on all of this...
Old 02-14-2010, 12:52 PM
sparks259
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 80 Likes on 48 Posts

what works and what will pass tech are two different things.
sure, one can "jury rig" something to work, but unless it were tested as a complete "system" i doubt that it would pass a thorough tech inspection.
i would ask my local tech people about what you would be proposing to do before spending the $$$$$ to do it.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:19 PM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sparks259
what works and what will pass tech are two different things.
sure, one can "jury rig" something to work, but unless it were tested as a complete "system" i doubt that it would pass a thorough tech inspection.
i would ask my local tech people about what you would be proposing to do before spending the $$$$$ to do it.
Agree. I do have the questions in to our club/chapter tech chief, but since the car goes to DE events at several tracks outside of the region I wanted to get input from others around the country. For example, if the local guy signs off on using a carabiner, could I expect the same at other tracks? And of course if someone has already run into and solved this particular problem, that helps a lot!
Old 02-14-2010, 07:39 PM
sparks259
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 80 Likes on 48 Posts

as i see it, the biggest point is the possibility of compromising the integrity of the seat belt system as the manufacturer has tested them.
while all the usual disclaimers still do exist, to install the most important safety system in the car and not follow the manufacturer's instructions is just asking for trouble.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:48 PM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sparks259
as i see it, the biggest point is the possibility of compromising the integrity of the seat belt system as the manufacturer has tested them.
while all the usual disclaimers still do exist, to install the most important safety system in the car and not follow the manufacturer's instructions is just asking for trouble.
I agree - but I can't figure out HOW to install it given the shape of the roll bar. Installing using the B-K hardware I have doesn't seem like a proper solution because the belt isn't free to move and is at an odd angle at the clip instead of a nice straight pull. A carabiner, while unconventional, is very strong and would solve this problem. But I don't know if it is really safe or would pass tech.

I need an option that is both safe and will pass tech.

Quick Reply: Harness Hardware