Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of an RV to tow and stay at the track...

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 03:37 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 201 Posts

Tenzin - this is exactly the kind of Garage Coach I have been researching. How do you feel about the turning radius and ease to move the rig through a tight paddock? Had you done the tow vehicle + trailer set-up previously to make a comparison?

Would love to see more pics of your set-up as well.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:55 PM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys,
Where was this thread a while ago when i was on this same hunt ?

So I just got into HPDE stuff two years ago with eye for an eventual 944 cup/spec path. I'm over here on the east side of the country. Originally, I bought a 24' enclosed trailer and have been lugging it with my 98 expedition with a 5.4L gas motor. I've slept in my trailer at every event and used a small generator and stand alone ac unit and small dorm type fridge and it's been great. This is coming from a guy who used to sleep in the back of a van next to his motorcycle, when I was roadracing(did this almost 10 years).

Either I am getting older, lazier, or more spoiled but I have wanted an RV for a long time.

A month ago i pulled the trigger and bought an older / used one for a monthly pmt of an average car.

Everyone I spoke with said it would have to be a class A Diesel pusher to be stout(chassis wise) and powerfull enough. Hands down, class C is maxed from the get go and no room for significant towing.

I picked up a 37' Class A with a 275hp Cummins turbo diesel. The hitch on it is rather whimpy so I plan to brace it and beef it up. I'm really hoping my 24' enclosed will not be too much for it but looking at the GVWR stickers, it will be close. I suppose if push comes to shove, I will downgrade from my 24' to a 20' or 18' since I will not be sleeping in the trailer now.

Thinking I'll get some of my hpde buddies to bunk up in my hotel on wheels so long as they buy the beer : )

Tom
Old 02-17-2010, 04:31 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts

Hi Tenzin!

That's a great one. Do show more pics of the layout please. Cheers! Juan
Old 02-17-2010, 08:23 PM
tasracer
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

google rv repo dealer some sick deals out there .50 on the dollar
Old 02-17-2010, 09:28 PM
Gasser
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by trackjunky
Gasser, if you are looking for a son to share your track adventures with I think I might be able to fill that role. - Dad.
As long as we can share that beautiful Cup car
Old 02-17-2010, 09:38 PM
Gasser
Burning Brakes

Awsome setup... I love my class A seperate from my trailer as we really love to use our RV as a family. We take two or three trips a year in it. Just got back from a 16 day trip to Disney. We take a trip to Colorado every year and also to Branson. Kids just love it. Best part, don't have to stop for the bathroom every 30 minutes.

Originally Posted by Snow Lion
Hi there,

This is my first post on Rennlist, even though I have been a member for a while.
So I guess I should introduce myself.
I have been a member of the PCA for almost 20 years, however for almost 15 years, I wasn't active in club activities, as getting married, having children, and running a business kept me busy. A few years ago, I decided to take the Bondurant school and got my race licence. I joined PCA Club racing and have been learning to drive.

The reason I am posting is that I finally have something of value to contribute!

I own a Renegade MotorGarage and really love it.
The MotorGarage is built on a Freightliner chassis and has the Mercedes Benz 12L engine. It is very sturdy and powerful. Going up hills or braking is a piece of cake. I even get reasonably good gas mileage. I got up to 10 mpg going to Daytona from my home near Mosport last year.

The total length is 45 feet and the garage portion is 18', and the living area is 18', 22' if you include the bunk over the cabin. It is the perfect vehicle for club racing. The rear garage is accessed with a lift gate that folds out, and you lift the car and roll the car into the garage. The living quarters is perfect for the my family of four, two adults and my two kids who love the bunk over the cabin.

I can fit a scooter with the car in the back, and if I need to take another car, I also have an enclosed trailex. You can't even tell it's there... Not necessarily a good thing when you are backing up! But that's another story.

It can also be used for non-race purposes. We put the family car in the back, and spent a month on an East Coast holiday this summer. We visited New Brunswick, PEI, Nova Scotia, Maine, and Boston. It was a wonderful trip, and there is an entire RV subculture that we weren't aware of. The people at RV campgrounds were friendly and helpful.

I am very pleased with the Renegade. I have attached a picture from Calabogie last May.

Tenzin
Old 02-17-2010, 10:38 PM
amondc
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jakermc
Tenzin - this is exactly the kind of Garage Coach I have been researching. How do you feel about the turning radius and ease to move the rig through a tight paddock? Had you done the tow vehicle + trailer set-up previously to make a comparison?

Would love to see more pics of your set-up as well.

Rob you have seen our setup and it works pretty well. You wouldnt have to get a stacker or you could and take a street car with you. Let me know if you want to come take a look or take it for a spin.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:07 AM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

I have been doing the RV track experience for 2 years not and ABSOLUTELY love it!!! At the time of purchase it was that stage where you need to get a trailer and I wanted an enclosed trailer, but did not have a proper tow vehicle. There are just so many options out there of how you can stay at the track. I ultimately did get a RV and would have it no other way. The funny part is that even though I have a past of camping when younger, my current RV has only been to the track and never on any other type of leisure vacation.

In any event, the Pros for me are...

1 can bring my Track Bitch (dog) with me to the events (was important to me)
2 can bring food and am not stuck with the track burgers and stuff
3 can sleep in my own bed at night
4 can wake up from that bed in the morning and be right at the track
5 bad weather at the track isn't quite as bad, if that is possible for that to be true
6 can take a 11AM Siesta in comfort
7 never have to make hotel reservations for an event

The Cons...
1 one more thing to take care of
2 slower travel to the track, but not that big of a deal
3 gas mileage sucks (but aren't we wasting gas with this sport anyway?)
4 depending upon what you buy it can get pretty pricey

Storage can be a big issue with an RV. Part of the problem is if it is stored near your home or not. I am fortunate to have my RV and trailer on the side of my house. This makes loading and unloading easy. You can then start to pack up several days before at your own pace. If it is stored away from your house this whole process becomes more difficult. Think about it, loading clothes and food and car stuff and..... You can manage it, but the true joy is having it right at your house.

For me there is no other way to travel to track events. It is a piece of home away from home. I truly love the part of staying right at the track if the event has camping at the track. Sometimes I have to unhitch the trailer and pull out of the paddock at night. Depends upon the region who runs the event. But when you do get to stay right at the track it is nice to have the peace and quite for a while in the evening.

To each his own, but I would highly suggest it to anybody! There is no doubt that I have Toterhome envy, but gotta have something to aspire towards
Old 02-18-2010, 12:28 AM
inverterman
Rennlist Member

Received 331 Likes on 184 Posts

Right on, we brought in a new Rlister talking about RV's and Transporters

Anyway, Diesel Pusher RV chassis come with either a CAT or a Cummins. Both usually come in a Freightliner Custom Chassis and will almost always have the Allison 6 speed. It is rare to find a coach rated to tow more than 10000 pounds unless it is a bus 40 plus feet with a set of double rear axles. I searched specifically for a Winnebago Tour 36ld with the biggest engine I can get.

I found my Coach at DeMartini RV in Grass Valley, CA. Up by above Sacramento near Thunder Hill Raceway. They specialize in Repossessions, I got my rig with 3300miles on it. The sticker was $286,456.00 and I was able to get it for less than $125K. There are a lot of choices out there. Just be patient and look around.

Again, the Trailer Toad is the way go if you tow anything over 8000 pounds. It takes the stress of the tow vehicle and lowers the tongue weight.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:05 PM
Snow Lion
Intermediate

Hi jakermc,
Here are some pictures from an HSR event at Waktkins Glen. I also had High Tech Awnings modify a 40' x 20' awing to fit my RV. It is great to be able to park 4 cars under the tent or 2 cars and plenty of space to work.
The truck is in storage so I can't get good pictures right now.
I guess we were always too busy getting prepared than to take pictures.

Hi Juan!
The HSR at Watkins Glen was great fun and Juan was blistering fast in his 2.5L monster. Congratulations to Juan for winning the Klub Sport Challenge!!

Inverterman,
Do you have any experience with inverters? I was thinking of installing a 3000watt pure sine inverter in the RV. Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Tenzin
Attached Images   
Old 02-24-2010, 08:46 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by amondc
Rob you have seen our setup and it works pretty well. You wouldnt have to get a stacker or you could and take a street car with you. Let me know if you want to come take a look or take it for a spin.
I remember your rig from ECR, you guys live like rock stars! I may take you up on the test drive. I've been traveling a lot lately, but perhaps once things settle down. I appreciate the offer.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:09 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 74 Posts

Any experience with these?

http://www.sportsmobile.com/

I am looking hard at these. I only have one car and an open trailer so to towing capacity of the Ford 250 or 350 is adequate. Also, it is a little more manageable and useable as transportation. Also, I can park it at my house.

I dig the pop top.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:18 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak
Any experience with these?

http://www.sportsmobile.com/

I am looking hard at these. I only have one car and an open trailer so to towing capacity of the Ford 250 or 350 is adequate. Also, it is a little more manageable and useable as transportation. Also, I can park it at my house.

I dig the pop top.
and you'll pick up a lot of chicks with your cool van
Old 02-24-2010, 09:20 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean F
and you'll pick up a lot of chicks with your cool van
Ha!
Old 02-25-2010, 08:46 AM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

If you really want a killer van, check out this one t http://sportsmobile.com/4_4x4sports.html

Quick Reply: Thinking of an RV to tow and stay at the track...