Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Left foot braking.......Yeah or Nay?........

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 12:18 PM
chopperzz
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by disasterman
Do lot's of practice before trying it out on a race. Breaking on the straight when you meant to stab the clutch will lose you a few places. Geez, how did I know that.
I've done the "clutch stab" and stopped LFB shortly after that. Not saying it doesn't work for some, but I think that it needs to be 1st nature to not create issues during a track emergency, which one never sees until its too late.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:05 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The biggest issue I have with it is that where I can use it to gain something happens to be the most critical areas to get the right level of braking.

For me these are not places to just stand on the brakes, but to use the brakes/lift to transfer weight rather than really slowing the car down. The problem then becomes that to be fast you need to not just get the transfer done quickly, but also accurately. Too much weight transfer is bad just as much as is too little. My left foot is still not as sensitive as my right in getting the right weight transfer. So for now I am still faster RFB since I have precision I required. What I really need to do is run some autocrosses where I can leave the car in gear and exclusivly LFB the entire course. Then I may be able to develop a more sensitive feeling of brake pressure vs weight transfer with the left.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:19 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by M758
The biggest issue I have with it is that where I can use it to gain something happens to be the most critical areas to get the right level of braking.

For me these are not places to just stand on the brakes, but to use the brakes/lift to transfer weight rather than really slowing the car down. The problem then becomes that to be fast you need to not just get the transfer done quickly, but also accurately. Too much weight transfer is bad just as much as is too little. My left foot is still not as sensitive as my right in getting the right weight transfer. So for now I am still faster RFB since I have precision I required. What I really need to do is run some autocrosses where I can leave the car in gear and exclusivly LFB the entire course. Then I may be able to develop a more sensitive feeling of brake pressure vs weight transfer with the left.
+993. I'm still developing my LFB skills and may even be slower because of that. But it'll pay off once I get it mastered.

Plus I really like how I can stay on the throttle at those times when you need to a quick stab at the brakes; helps keep the car stable. That means safe & fast.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:24 PM
elh0102
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have practiced LFB a good bit, and two things have become apparent to me. First, there are certain corners in which well executed left foot braking would result in a quicker exit. Second, since I do this stuff for fun, in a street car I need to drive home, I'd rather be just a bit slower, but confident of getting through the damn corner without my spastic left foot punting me in the armco. It's kind of like driving in the wet, I get paid for that level of stress at work, I don't need it on the track. And while it seems to be assumed as a necessary skill for any really competent driver, there are some good ones that don't seem to agree.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:11 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I like LFB in the situations that FredC mentioned, but find the pedals on our cars very poor for this. I really have to maneuver my feet around and haven't been able to make it a really easy transition. I find I can't keep my heel on the ground which means it makes it more about the large muscles in the legs - unlike the small ones in the feet like you can use in your street car which equals less feel/control.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:57 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean F
I like LFB in the situations that FredC mentioned, but find the pedals on our cars very poor for this. I really have to maneuver my feet around and haven't been able to make it a really easy transition. I find I can't keep my heel on the ground which means it makes it more about the large muscles in the legs - unlike the small ones in the feet like you can use in your street car which equals less feel/control.
+1 on the pedals. Not convenient at all.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:18 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I find I can't keep my heel on the ground which means it makes it more about the large muscles in the legs.
Originally Posted by FredC
+2. I have to suspend my left leg in the air and way over to the right.

I don't do it. I wish I could, but (so far) I can't. Braking is already so difficult to do well...
Old 03-24-2010, 10:39 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Another +1 on the problematic pedal arrangement. OTOH, our brakes work great for this, i.e. the pedal feel is responsive and not overboosted. I tried LFB in my wife's Elise, and yikes that didn't work at all. Pedal feel just isn't there.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:43 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,437 Likes on 769 Posts

IMO, you have to really train your big toe of your left foot to find the brake pedal. When I rode with the maestro, Brian Redman, in a real, original 1973 RSR at the old Moroso, he used LFB alot, especially as the tires warmed. But he really only used the big toe of his left foot, since the pedal placement is so awful.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 03-24-2010, 11:39 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FredC
I can heel-toe my F250 easier than I could the 993. That just ain't right
Old 03-25-2010, 08:59 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

No problems with pedal placement in the 924's/944's... maybe that's why they can go so much deeper on the brakes...
Old 03-25-2010, 09:44 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 924RACR
No problems with pedal placement in the 924's/944's... maybe that's why they can go so much deeper on the brakes...
ether that or they are just cold from under use...
Old 03-25-2010, 11:05 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I felt this way in my 944 as well. However I have learned to retrain my left foot so I can get it over the brake pedal and brake will control. However my right foot has maybe 100% sensitivity on braking pressure and rate of change of that pressure while my left is only 60-70%. That is fine for the street, but on the track it mean I am still faster with my right... For now at least.

My advice is that it takes practice and lots of it. You need to retrain the muscles and reflexes. When I used my left on the brakes in any car I drive I feel like I have soft pedal. With the right foot the brakes feel fine.

It all comes down to traning my brain muscles to work at something other than "clutch foot".

BTW... I have been working at this slowly on the street for 8+ months.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:30 PM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 172 Posts

Had a DE Instructor (who LHB) share with my the LHB technique and an idea for practice off-track / out of car.

He told me of a Surgeon friend who keeps a soccer ball under his desk. While doing other office tasks, he puts his left foot on the ball and moves it around on the floor to build up feel and left side motor muscle skills. He got the suggestion from a fellow Surgeon / teacher who suggest it to, in general, develop left side muscle / dexterity control (for right handed Surgeons). YMMV.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:35 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by kurt M
ether that or they are just cold from under use...
LOL! Good one!

Quick Reply: Left foot braking.......Yeah or Nay?........