WG race video - almost taken out at the start

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 09:31 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak
Um . . . it's racing. Anytime you take a car on a race track you need to be prepared to ball it up. It's the risk of the sport. One just hopes your car isn't a smoking ball of metal due to someone doing something stoopid. I could just as easily injure myself playing basketball in my driveway and I don't get a trophy for that either. Skydiving, white water rafting, base jumping, all risky but the rush is awesome!
Yeah, yeah... I've been club racing porsches for over 15 years... you guys back east must have more money, no family, or better life insurance policies than us broke Californians. We just do porsche club racing differently I guess and the attitude of the folks on here seems to reaffirm this. The guy who ran Sean off the road would probably get a 13/13 with the POC and his weekend would be done - racing room has to be left with our club.

I find it hard to argue, for the club racers in the group who don't make a living doing this, that it's worth hurting someone on the first lap of a race and ruining everyone else's race just for a move on the first lap? It's not like that track has ANY runoff, either! You guys are nuts... and hopefully Streak you wouldn't kill yourself playing basketball...
Old 06-01-2010, 09:35 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

You've never seen Streak's extreme athleticism.. He even ripped a seat off it's mounts he was pulling so many G's.. looked like Joey Chitwood.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:00 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by garrett376
Yeah, yeah... I've been club racing porsches for over 15 years... you guys back east must have more money, no family, or better life insurance policies than us broke Californians. We just do porsche club racing differently I guess and the attitude of the folks on here seems to reaffirm this. The guy who ran Sean off the road would probably get a 13/13 with the POC and his weekend would be done - racing room has to be left with our club.

I find it hard to argue, for the club racers in the group who don't make a living doing this, that it's worth hurting someone on the first lap of a race and ruining everyone else's race just for a move on the first lap? It's not like that track has ANY runoff, either! You guys are nuts... and hopefully Streak you wouldn't kill yourself playing basketball...
2 years ago on the first lap of this same race I was wrecked by a guy making an overly aggressive move which then caused me to wreck someone else. Some guys take care of other racers, some don't. All four cars at the head of the field in this video are friends and we would never pull a move on one another like in this video.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:07 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
You can't tell because you can only hear Sean's engine, but I'm flat out from the 5 second mark on. Sean and I are in good position until the 2 second mark where the pace picks up. Sean and I start accelerating to keep up and the D cars are simply faster. That's all the Boxster has! There was no "hanging back". Just a fast pace by the pole car (his prerogative) that I couldn't match and Sean could.
Interesting that it can happen that way on the start. Went and looked at the club racing rules. I didn't see anything regarding start protocols which was a bit shocking to be honest. Was I just missing something? What stops someone in the first couple rows from jumping the start?
Old 06-01-2010, 10:12 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 78 Posts

garrett, not saying I like what the guy did or condoning it but it's an inherently risky sport so stuff is going to happen sometime. That guy could have been having brake issues and been unable to get the car slowed. Not the case but it happens. Turns out he's just very very aggressive and probably too much so for club racing. That's why I say you take your car onto a race track and be prepared to walk away from it.

And I did go soooooo fast that I broke my seat. Just glad I didn't ruin someone else's day in the process but I could have. You know as well, stuff can happen.

http://www.vimeo.com/12175605

Also, If a dunk went badly I could go off the end of my driveway and land headfirst on my retaining wall 12 below and die. Yes I could die playing basketball!
Old 06-01-2010, 10:15 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by JClark
+1. He was the only car out there actually racing. Good move.

Great comment from way back in the bleachers!!! Get me a beer and a hotdog while you're there!
Old 06-01-2010, 10:27 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
Interesting that it can happen that way on the start. Went and looked at the club racing rules. I didn't see anything regarding start protocols which was a bit shocking to be honest. Was I just missing something? What stops someone in the first couple rows from jumping the start?
The starter, really. The pole sitter can keep a nice slow pace to keep folks bunched up. In this case he didn't (which I have no real beef with, pole sitter earned the right to set the pace) and it did make for a rough start (as you can also see in my rear view mirror, not a great "box").
Old 06-01-2010, 10:36 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
The starter, really. The pole sitter can keep a nice slow pace to keep folks bunched up. In this case he didn't (which I have no real beef with, pole sitter earned the right to set the pace) and it did make for a rough start (as you can also see in my rear view mirror, not a great "box").
Starter can wave off the start but I still don't see any rules saying that you can't jump out of line and get right up alongside the guy in front. That's what I found interesting.

However with the HP vs. handling differences of your car vs. the E class cars I bet there was some seriously fun racing.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:38 PM
DanR
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its funny how my perspective on this has changed. I was in the stand watching the start of the race and saw this go down. From the angle I was at I could not believe how bad the dive bomb looked, from Charlies camera it looks 'aggressive racing'. On balance I think it was more high risk than calculated move. He made it stick but it was not with out risk which for club racing for a glass mug was probably not what I would appreciate
Old 06-01-2010, 10:39 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

I'm actually a little surprised by some of the comments with respect to the PCA racing rules. He was not even with the red car at turn in and did not earn the right to be there, not even close - sticking a nose in doesn't count. The red car can turn in when he wants even if someone is screaming up the inside - he wasn't blocking, he was turning in. Am I missing something about how the overtaking rules work?
Old 06-01-2010, 10:44 PM
Rick DeMan
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 645 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Don't agree, the turn in for T1 is waay back before the curb and Chris (red car) was well into the turn. I was the car behind Charlie and I layed back when I saw #182 diving from left to right to left into the pile of cars fully expecting carnage. It's the 1st turn in the race, was a stupid move.

"He was the only car out there actually racing. Good move."
Gary R,

Watch that video again..! When red car moves right, the lead car is still going straight ahead and does not turn untill wayyy after the incident occurs. He threw a blatant BS block move that endangered all 3 cars involved.

I love this place..!!

Rick DeMan

DeMan Motorsport
Upper Nyack, NY
845 727 3070
Porsche Sales & Service
Porsche Race services and parts
www.DeManMotorsport.com
Old 06-01-2010, 10:54 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

He can turn in whenever he wants all that matters is the position of the overtaking car at turn in - if he is not even, he has not earned the right to be there. A very similar situation was described by Bryan in club racing news:

"P3 was still behind at turn-in but
coming up hard on the inside. He had not earned
a right to be there since he was not even by turn-in."
Old 06-01-2010, 11:04 PM
Rick DeMan
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 645 Likes on 202 Posts

Sorry Sean, that's not a turn in... and yes he can turn in when ever he wants but that would be a bad idea most of the time.

So, I could go down the straight and turn in when ever I want? it's my space? all the time?

I think he would have earned the position were it not for the BLOCK move...
Old 06-01-2010, 11:55 PM
Jess
Instructor

I've watched the move and it's just racing to me. Starts are always a bit sketchy and this is just one of those. I would have done the same thing if someone left the door open like that.

Jesse Wurmbrand
Old 06-02-2010, 01:29 AM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

In summation: 'Somebody out raced me so I'm gonna call it dangerous and seek support from all my RL friends'. I'm not saying it was the friendliest move, but no paint was traded. If I had a dollar for every time I've had to go out of my way on track to avoid someone hitting me... I'd probably have a nice steak dinner. I've also been on the other end where it was me that hit other car. This is racing, get over it.

And to everyone that says 'guys, let's remember what we are racing for', please go back to DE's, because you don't seem to grasp the concept of racing.

Quick Reply: WG race video - almost taken out at the start