RIP deep_uv

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 09:44 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts
Default RIP deep_uv

Steve Thornton, one of the finest people I've ever known in my life, passed away today after over a year long battle with cancer. I met Steve and TR6 at TWS almost exactly three years ago to the day. The three of us have been the best of friends since that day, and trips to the track will never be the same without him.

Steve was one of the funniest guys I've ever known, with a sharp, sometimes biting sense of humor. He was also the founder of Cool Arrow Racing. As such, it's only fitting that Steve will be forever remembered by his special talent for nearly hitting the Texas World Speedway T13 flag station using what we now refer to as "The Thornton Maneuver".

Video of the Thornton Maneuver

http://vimeo.com/2518800

Steve is survived by his wife and 8yo daughter.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:44 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rest in peace my friend. I am at this moment drinking a martini in your honor.

Fellow Rennlisters, please be patient with me as I randomly pour some thoughts out. For those that didn’t have the pleasure of meeting Steve, where would I begin? I first met Steve well before we started driving on a race track. Our common bond was that we both drove 964’s. His was a black Targa and mine was a white RS America. After I did my first ever DE in Feb 2007, I talked him into doing his very first DE at Motorsport Ranch in April 2007. (We froze our asses off at that one. Typical Texas Spring weather. Warm in February. Cold in April.) A couple of months later, Steve was the one that talked me into coming to Texas World Speedway the first time in June 2007. I remember I was nervous about driving a “real” racetrack. He had gone there for the first time in May 2007 and told me about all of the characters he had met there and that I would love it. So I made the 4 hour drive down and have been hooked on TWS ever since. I owe that to Steve.

Steve introduced me to Globe that first TWS event I attended. We quickly became the three Stooges. We couldn’t drive worth **** (ok, maybe Globe showed some promise but the bar was set pretty low). We razzed each other endlessly, drank beer, and hung out at the Manor Ho. Steve was merciless with his incredibly sharp and dry wit. Between Steve's sharp comebacks and Globe's wacky stories of mechanical ineptitude, we had no end of laughs. But he was also one of the most generous people I have ever met in my life. He always had Shiner beer in his ice chest to share. He always was there with help and advice working on the cars (since we both had 964’s and he was a better mechanic than me). I still have the notes he wrote for me instructing me how to change the oil in my 964 (no small feat). And when my motor blew up in my RS America, he offered to let me drive his car on the track so I wouldn’t miss an event (and that took a lot of faith on his part given that I just blew up one 964 engine…). And most importantly, he was the most dedicated father to his wonderful little girl. Those two were inseparable. He took her to UT basketball games, fishing, to the track, everywhere. To Steve, his family was the most important thing.

Farewell my friend. There will be a hole in our hearts that can never be filled. I will miss you deeply. I will miss the original Cool Arrow.
Attached Images    

Last edited by TR6; 06-03-2010 at 10:46 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:51 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Wow, terrible news. I've read lots of Steve's posts and always thought he seemed like a decent guy. RIP, Steve. My condolences to his family and to all who knew him.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:57 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Really, really sorry to hear the news. Didn't know him personally but read his posts here and on the GTC forum. RIP!
Old 06-03-2010, 10:05 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

One of the closest friends I've ever had. Until he fell sick last year, it was rare when there was a track event where only two of the Three Stooges were there. Basically, if you found Greg or me, you would find Steve. BTW, Steve was perhaps the only person I've only met who was completely immune from beer.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:14 PM
paralleltangent
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, I'm sorry to hear this. I didn't know Steve either - even though I know I've been at TWS the same time as he, I never got the opportunity to meet him. I've been entertained by his posts numerous times, however, and I too thought he seemed like a good guy, and was likely a fun person to hang around with. Mike and Greg, I'm sorry for the loss of your friend, and my condolences go out to his family.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:19 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Wow, Mike, Greg, sorry for you loss, and an 8 yr old too...cancer is a bitch like none other. I always enjoyed his humor on the list as well as his useful info over on the 964forum, he wit was pivotal in some classic posts, he was a fixture and will be missed here, but its hard to loose a buddy...condolences to you guys and the family.

RIP Steve
Old 06-03-2010, 10:23 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Steve will be deeply missed he was truly one of the good ones. My deepest condolences to his wife and daughter.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:25 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

That is awful. Condolences to his family and friends.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:33 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Very sorry to hear.....

RIP
Old 06-03-2010, 10:34 PM
jsh
Instructor

So sorry to hear the news about Steve. I didn't know him as well as Globe and TR6, but the times that I was around him were always fun. A gracious guy, who willingly shared what he knew about cars and the track. Late nights in the parking lot at the Ho tipping a cold one with Steve were always good for a few laughs. He will be missed, RIP....
Old 06-03-2010, 10:39 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 498 Likes on 266 Posts

Going to be missed Steve, now you will always have the shiny side up.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:43 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Either Greg or I will pass on particulars on services etc once we know them.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:47 PM
PNine64
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow...that's terrible. I didn't know him but the image of him and his daughter working on his car came to mind as soon as I read this. I couldn't even imagine. Sorry to his family and all of his friends. RIP
Old 06-03-2010, 10:51 PM
DanR
Drifting

terrible news, RIP and condolences to his family and friends

Quick Reply: RIP deep_uv