Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about racing NASA events.......

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 05:18 PM
North Coast Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boston DMD
I like the Nasa format with a typical day being practice, qualify and sprint race, both days. If I want an enduro there are usually a couple 3-hour ones throughout the season. It's not sprits one day and enduro the next. My personal experience has shown the Nasa drivers to be very competitive. GTS is wide open so the potential to start an arms race exists, but at the same time you do not have to spend a fortune on your motor since it is Wt/HP rather than potential Wt/HP. The average cost of a GTS car has risen consistently, but we drive Porsche's.

I have also found the guy driving the beater Honda is as concerned about his car as I am about mine. Most guys are on small budgets and trying to get the most enjoyment out of what they can afford. I have not noticed a difference in number of incidences at Nasa events versus other bodies.

Nasa Mid Atlantic, Great Lakes and Midwest all have very strong, growing groups. Not uncommon to have 25-40 cars, sometimes with their own run group. I would suggest you give it a try and see if it's for you.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:28 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by claykos
Thanks - I was aware of the Yoko as well. Haven't done much racing since they started it and I still have a couple of sets of sticker hoosiers.

Since hoosier does contingency in Time Trial as well I was thinking of running hoosiers for TT and Yoks in the race group :-) - we usually have 7 or 8 TT cars in my class.
Now that's a great idea. You'd have to cover up the other manufacturer's decals with tape and visa versa.

I may look into running both at BW weekend after next as there's always 6 or 7 cars in TTS....
Old 06-17-2010, 05:29 PM
claykos
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Now that's a great idea. You'd have to cover up the other manufacturer's decals with tape and visa versa.

I may look into running both at BW weekend after next as there's always 6 or 7 cars in TTS....
Ya - we usually have a "super size" option for TT so if you are already racing you can add TT for $100 for the weekend....
Old 06-17-2010, 05:34 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean F
No that's not what I'm saying. I'm merely pointing out that the potential limitations of the hp/wt stucture in NASA don't really come up with a bunch of guys running the two series. The one instance where it does come up is a prepared car running against a stock car NASA.
So you are saying what i suspected. Frankly E is E, D is D, and GTS2 is GTS2 isn't it?

Paolo, disillusioned yet? ;-)

Busting your chops Sean I hope you get that. What i am getting at is that Paolo won't find refuge in NASA - your post supports this point. Heck even in spec miatas there are good cars and then great cars...
Old 06-17-2010, 06:05 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I think we're saying opposite things, but honestly I can't tell for sure. What I'm saying is the hp/wt is the dominant variable in the equation and far outweighs any other car development such as brakes, aero, gearing etc in this specific example of dual racers in PCA and NASA and is a better approach to classification of cars.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:32 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

I think we're saying opposite things, but honestly I can't tell for sure. What I'm saying is the hp/wt is the dominant variable in the equation and far outweighs any other car development such as brakes, aero, gearing etc in this specific example of dual racers in PCA and NASA and is a better approach to classification of cars.
We're not talking about the same thing. Don't worry about it. All I am saying is that the point you made about "prepared" PCA cars having an advantage over "stock" PCA cars while running in the very same class in NASA is evidence that HP/WT is not an answer to all problems and that there is a risk that if one wins class in NASA, others may say "he has this prep and that prep on the car". Paolo's future NASA wins are already tainted
Old 06-17-2010, 07:22 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by claykos
Ya - we usually have a "super size" option for TT so if you are already racing you can add TT for $100 for the weekend....
I did that once. 7 sessions in day is alot, but if you need more track time it works our great for not that much more $$$$.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:25 PM
M758
Race Director

That is true to first approximation.

However once you get past that the last 2-3 seconds (for longer tracks, 1-2 seconds for shorter track) will be determined by all the things you mentioned. Races are won and lost by less margin that that per lap. This where GTS can turn in a chassis based arms race.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:22 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by M758

However once you get past that the last 2-3 seconds (for longer tracks, 1-2 seconds for shorter track) will be determined by all the things you mentioned. Races are won and lost by less margin that that per lap. This where GTS can turn in a chassis based arms race.
So Joe, from your experience, is that a good or bad thing in regards to NASA's methods of class classifications?
Old 06-17-2010, 09:58 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by M758

My point is it won't happen if you're running stock in PCA and NASA GTS. Yes, you might get beat by someone who is running fully developed for NASA GTS only but we're talking specifically about a bunch of us running D and E stock in PCA who won't be making those those kinds of changes to run in NASA. It's the same guys and seeing where we all stack up on HP/WT will be a better approach than what we've got right now in PCA.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:15 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

I'm building a wing out of plywood, hope to have it done in time.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:27 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I don't know........

They might bump you up in prepared class with the fear that on the straights you will quickly pull away from your stock class competitors.......

BTW, this is my 5000 post, so I am done posting for a while.........
Old 06-17-2010, 11:47 PM
Denise
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Rennlisters,

I have raced with NASA Florida for several seasons and it is always a lot of fun.

Denise
Old 06-18-2010, 08:15 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
I don't know........

They might bump you up in prepared class with the fear that on the straights you will quickly pull away from your stock class competitors.......

BTW, this is my 5000 post, so I am done posting for a while.........

Actually, you have more than 5000 posts when you include your posts under....oh, never mind!
Old 06-18-2010, 06:38 PM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
So Joe, from your experience, is that a good or bad thing in regards to NASA's methods of class classifications?
It is good if you want to run NASA along with PCA. Running GTS is very easy.

However being competitive in GTS is really hit or miss. Even if you are at the top of the power/weight.

However NASA is not just about GTS. NASA has other classes to. Personally I would never run GTS since I can't put a budget limit on the class. I can see spend spending spending trying to be competitive in GTS1 or GTS2 even.

If I did not run in 944 spec (or another spec class) I would still run in NASA, but do so in Performance Touring. The rules appear complex, but smart building can make fast car on a budget inside the rules.

My 944 spec as it stands is not competitive in Performacne Touring, but given that it is built to the 944 spec rule set it make sense that it also not optimized for Performance Touring. The good news however is in performance touring I can probably run my 944 in 4-5 classes depending on how I chose to mod the car. Stock is one cars. Ligthened is another. Turbo swap is still another. 3.0 968 motor with super light weight is yet another.

Quick Reply: Thinking about racing NASA events.......