Sponsored by:

Old school string or new school 3D alignment

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 10:22 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk and cut with an ax.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:30 AM
Bruce P
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

You also have to be very careful when using the string system that you don't have any bent wheels. Most of the 4 wheel computerized systems will compensate for wheels that are slightly bent. When trying to set toe to a tolerance of 1mm it doesn't take much a bend in a wheel to create an error with the string system. If you are running a car with lots of rubber bushings etc. just "set toe with a stanley and go!".
Old 06-29-2010, 03:33 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by kurt M
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk and cut with an ax.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 06-29-2010, 04:54 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Van
The best part about fancy alignment racks/computers/lasers/systems/etc. is the speed of use. Setup is quicker, making adjustments are quicker.

The "caliber" of the alignment depends on the person - that's all.
+1 on the speed issue. if your good with manual alignments you can get real close the computerized systems just make doing the job fast not that much more accurate for racing purposes. I am in the process of learning this craft to I can take it with me to the track, I want the ability to change it myself.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:59 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dubai944
As long as you can mount the string on the car (Smart Strings or something home made), measuring is a snap. Using the old jack stand method is a PITA.

Yes the jack stand method works, but it is a pain. The set-up time is just too long. I will be creating a homemade way to mount strings the chassis.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:13 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Van
For those that don't know, the "strings" method is for measuring toe. You're creating lines along the side of the car that are parallel to the centerline so you can measure the distance from the string to the front and rear of the rim. The difference in these 2 measurements is toe.

For the home/track alignment enthusiast, camber is measured with a bubble (or electronic) level.

And caster is measured with a level that's set while the wheel is turned a specific number degrees, then measured when the wheel is turned the opposite direction.

When using levels, it's super critical that your garage floor, or whatever surface, is perfectly level. My floor is not level, so I use 1/8" thick vinyl tiles from Home Depot to put under the wheels... I've used a "water level" (a bucket of water, a hose and a ruler) to figure out how many tiles I need under each tire.

There are a bunch of youtube videos on home alignments, too.
Got to get it level and then use two pieces of aluminum sheets about the same size with grease in between to roll the tires on to so you can measure your adjustments.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:19 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

The vinyl tiles are pretty slippery and can be used with grease or water or something, too.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:27 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Gallon size ziplock bags with a small amount of the spray lube of your choice sealed up inside make great no mess disposable slip plates. Use on three of four wheels. Why only 3? Do all four and watch your car flop off the scales. Besides you need to do three to prevent binding.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:36 PM
Dubai944
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by M758
Yes the jack stand method works, but it is a pain. The set-up time is just too long. I will be creating a homemade way to mount strings the chassis.
This might give you some ideas. Here's a set up I made for my 350Z a while back. Cost under $100 for a few bits of timber and a couple of cheap levels from a chinese outlet. Beats $600 for Smart Strings.

Old 07-02-2010, 06:30 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I beg to differ with the person who said "strings are not wrong". We used strings on our GA Rolex Porsches and you can definately set up the strings wrong. Even if they are correct, I have seen many errors made by incorrectly reading the ruler. I have trained myself (I only use strings in my shop, no budget for a good alignment machine) to read the rear lip then move to the front. I have seen so may people just pick a side and then read the other. Before you know it you've gone the wrong direction and don't realize it. By starting on the rear lip, you know the front measurement needs to be in larger if you want toe in, and smaller if you are going for toe out. If you use strings, I recommend picking a pattern and staying with it.

If you get in a real pinch, feel free to copy my design (I do own Smart Strings which work much better).
Attached Images  
Old 07-02-2010, 07:35 PM
Dan Jacobs
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

I own a Hunter machine, have my own calibration equipment for it, calibrate it at least weekly, use it daily and have never put a car on it that had been "strung" that was close to what the "stringer" thought it was.
There's a place for strings, you can't bring a bench to the track. I do believe that guy's like Jerry and Larry can get a car better with strings then a guy on an out of calibration machine (most are). The reason I bought my own calibration equipment for my machine is you'd go broke have the Hunter rep out every week ($250 per visit) which is why most are out. I guess the answer here is the operator of the tools whether they're strings and 2x4s or a 75k Beisenbarth machine
Old 07-02-2010, 11:20 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Jacobs
I own a Hunter machine, have my own calibration equipment for it, calibrate it at least weekly, use it daily and have never put a car on it that had been "strung" that was close to what the "stringer" thought it was.
There's a place for strings, you can't bring a bench to the track. I do believe that guy's like Jerry and Larry can get a car better with strings then a guy on an out of calibration machine (most are). The reason I bought my own calibration equipment for my machine is you'd go broke have the Hunter rep out every week ($250 per visit) which is why most are out. I guess the answer here is the operator of the tools whether they're strings and 2x4s or a 75k Beisenbarth machine
I think Timmy Lynn has a Biesenbarth!!

Yo TIMMY LYNN!!!

Cya tomorrow Dan, I'll have Ninja make a special Marguerita just for you!
Old 07-02-2010, 11:45 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by amso3
I beg to differ with the person who said "strings are not wrong". We used strings on our GA Rolex Porsches and you can definately set up the strings wrong. Even if they are correct, I have seen many errors made by incorrectly reading the ruler.
It was probably me, but I think that you actually do not disagree. If the strings are set up right, and you read everything right, you will be very close to what you think that it is. You can be just as meticulous with a computer alignment machine, and if it is out of calibration, you can be way out.

Obviously with either method, there is no compensating for operator error.
Old 07-03-2010, 12:49 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

It was you Larry, and if you don't come back and start racing with us soon it is unforgivable..
Old 07-03-2010, 08:14 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Very interesting points there, Dan, about calibration! Good to hear you're doing it right!

It's so often so hard to farm it out and be certain those hundreds are going to get a truly good setup... part of why I just DIY now...

Quick Reply: Old school string or new school 3D alignment