Sponsored by:

Mark Donohue reunion @ Road America to include the Sunoco 917/30

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 12:11 PM
Trevor Ely
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mbrouder
Three of the most disappointing parade laps I've ever witnessed. Ditch the passenger and open that SOB up! ^^I must have been standing right behind you when you took that pic.
I hate you feel that way, Mark!

The laps weren't intended to be an all-out example of what the 917/30 was capable of - Rather, it was a respectful 'last lap' for Mark and the Mark Donohue Reunion, as this was the last commemorative event...ever. The passenger, Paul Powell, was the individual that was close friends with Mark and organized/founded the event. So, it was also in respect to Paul who had put a tremendous amount of time, money and effort into the event.

I understand the craving to see it run wide-open (Trust me, you're not alone!)...Unfortunately, Road America officials frowned upon the idea for multiple reasons and we were told to keep speeds at Sub-100mph 'pace/parade lap' pace, or else!

Don't worry, though! The 917/30 isn't going away forever!

Edit: Having just spoken to the owner of the 917/30, he's regretful that you weren't pleased with his demonstration laps, but if you would be kind enough to wire or send a bank/cashier's check for the sum of $30,000,000, he mentioned that you could go out and do as many hot laps as you desired AND he'd even deliver it to you free of charge!

LOL

Last edited by Trevor Ely; 07-22-2010 at 02:21 AM.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:17 PM
Steward B.
Rennlist Member

The #12 Black Rock 944 is a 944 Turbo Cup owned and driven by Dave Roberts, formerly a Nord Stern PCA member (Minnesota) who now lives in Charlotte but keeps his car in the Twin Cities. I believe the car was run by Kelly Moss in the Turbo cup series but don't quote me on that. It was previously owned by Randy Alexander and Ron Smith, both PCA club racers. Randy schmucked the car pretty hard into the wall at Road America 10 years ago and the car may have been "retubbed".

Dave Roberts also got to drive the Ron Fellows/Crager wheels Speed World Challenge Corvette in group 10 at the KIC. The perks of being the CEO of the company that owns Crager Wheels!

A number of Rennlisters ran at the KIC and had a great time. Not much real racing but a ton of fun. As Brian Redman always says "this is a moving car show, if you are here to race, this isn't the place for you" My bet is almost all the Rennlisters who ran at the KIC will be back to race at TRAC this year.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:35 PM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Steward B.
My bet is almost all the Rennlisters who ran at the KIC will be back to race at TRAC this year.
Lano's not coming he has some weak excuse about having to be in Arizona or something....
Old 07-19-2010, 07:54 PM
Steward B.
Rennlist Member

Brad held his own in Group 10 with some pretty high HP cars. People are always amazed that he has a stock 3.6 varioram engine in that car but the car and engine are bullet proof compared with those he runs against.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:08 PM
mrepka
Instructor

Brad held his own in Group 10 with some pretty high HP cars. People are always amazed that he has a stock 3.6 varioram engine in that car but the car and engine are bullet proof compared with those he runs against.
That, and the Brad can flat out drive!

Terrible weekend (performance wise) for me, engine just would not make any horsepower. I'll be doing a complete fuel system, and ignition system overhaul before the next club race.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:45 PM
Steward B.
Rennlist Member

yup, even my wife commented on how you were visibly slower down the straights then normal, Mark. She asked if something was wrong with the car as you were braking and going through the turns at normal speed. hopefully you'll get it fixed before TRAC and how about before BIR?
Old 07-21-2010, 04:56 PM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No doubt he held his own. As long as he can keep it out of the trees he's fine. I just wish we could shame him into making TRAC. He's gonna miss a good cookout Friday night. The steaks were superb at WG
Old 07-21-2010, 11:58 PM
DWS964
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts
Default A few pictures from KIC

Some pics of Rennlister's and some other guys having fun. I am not the best photographer, but I sure had fun too. I will post more pics in a Picasa album soon.
Attached Images                
Old 07-22-2010, 12:35 PM
Steward B.
Rennlist Member

Thanks from organge #3!
Old 07-23-2010, 11:26 AM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 269 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
Usually the tribude car(s) get a parade lap or two on Sunday.
I remember seeing the factory's Sunoco 917/30 and a second one in similar livery doing a bunch of semi-fast laps at the end of the day at Rennsport 2001 at Lime Rock. It was just the two cars on the track. Roger Penske was driving one of them. Absolutely awesome.

Scott
Old 07-24-2010, 12:46 AM
Trevor Ely
Instructor

Originally Posted by stownsen914
I remember seeing the factory's Sunoco 917/30 and a second one in similar livery doing a bunch of semi-fast laps at the end of the day at Rennsport 2001 at Lime Rock. It was just the two cars on the track. Roger Penske was driving one of them. Absolutely awesome.

Scott
Scott, you're right...That was 917/30-004 and 917/30-002 that you're remembering. There's a funny story to that whole scene that involves Roger Penske ending up driving '004' after Porsche AG's own '002' had digested some debris from the fuel tank and was running terribly.

Last edited by Trevor Ely; 08-01-2010 at 12:15 AM.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:23 AM
Alleydude
4th Gear

Helo everyone! I just found this site by searching out posts on the Kohler International Challenge. I am a relative newbie when it comes to both Porche's and vintage racing events.

We bought an '83 944 last year, and this year we drove it from Michigan to Elkhart Lake via the Badger Ferry.

When we got there I was thrilled to see so many 944's both in the parking areas and in the pits and on the track. My primary reason for going was to cover the Can Am portion of the event for Victory Lane Magazine and the PRDA, but I couldn't help but pull myself away to catch some of the cars I can relate to more on the track.

Next time I will pay to take my car on the track for a few laps, I didn't know about this option until it was too late.

Anyway, now that I have found this forum I have a LOT of reading to do.
Attached Images   
Old 07-25-2010, 01:31 PM
RSA333
Racer

We saw the Sunoco 917 run flat out at Summit Point about 3 years ago. It was incredible.

Quick Reply: Mark Donohue reunion @ Road America to include the Sunoco 917/30