Mark Donohue reunion @ Road America to include the Sunoco 917/30

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 11:20 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,079 Likes on 1,186 Posts
Default Mark Donohue reunion @ Road America to include the Sunoco 917/30

Usually the tribude car(s) get a parade lap or two on Sunday.

I say put some modern rubber on the 917, crank up the boost and see what the old girl can do!!

IIRC the 917/30 with Mark behind the wheel was the first car to officially break the 2 minute mark in Elkhart Lake.

http://www.catchfence.com/2010/other...93-july-15-18/

Unfair Advantage Racing and Road America, announce the Mark Donohue Reunion 2010, to be held at Road America, Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin, on July 15-18 in conjunction with the Koehler International Classic vintage event.

The Reunion will celebrate the cars and career of an American racing legend, with a paddock display of many of the most famous cars raced by Mark Donohue.
Confirmed cars include:
1972 Indy-winning McLaren-Offy
’73 Eagle- Offy Indy car
1972 Can-Am dominating L&M Porsche 917-10
1973 Can-Am champion Sunoco Porsche 917-30
all of the Donohue-driven Penske Racing Camaros and Javelins from the Trans-Am in the 1960s and early 1970s
Ferrari 275 LM that Donohue co-drove with Walter Hansgen in the 1965 Sebring 12 hour
Sunoco Lola T70 coupe that won the 1969 Daytona 24 Hour race driven by Donohue and Chuck Parsons
Lola T70 Spyder which brought Donohue the 1967 United States Road Racing Championship.

Many of Mark’s teammates from Penske Racing will be attending, including Karl Kainhofer, Indy Hall-of-Fame crew chief; John “Woody” Woodard, crew chief on the Porsche 917-10 and 917-30; Ron Fournier, Trans-Am builder; Chuck Cantwell, team manager; Don ***, Penske engineer; and Judy Stropus, Penske timer and scorer.

Another highlight will be a release of a new book from David Bull Publishing, “Mark Donohue: His Life in Photographs,” by Michael Argetsinger. Argetsinger will be Master of Ceremonies at a Mark Donohue Tribute breakfast on Sunday morning, July 18.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:50 AM
Steward B.
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very cool! At least a couple of Rennlister's are going to be racing at the KIC, including Mark Repka, Ben R, and some guy from Minnesota in an orange car, all in group 8.

I've got my fingers crossed that the 917/30 will do more than a parade lap. A couple of years ago Bruce Canepa brought his 917 to the KIC and it ran pretty hard in the Can AM group.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:53 AM
vintage914racer
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I was hoping they would be bringing the 917s. Too bad I don't see them on the entry list for the races. I remember when Bruce Canepa had the car there a few years ago and it was pretty cool seeing it on track.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:57 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

They should bring the entire fleet into Elkhart Lake in the front of the Friday night parade.

I haven't missed this event since 1986 when it was called The Como Inn Chicago Historics. This is possibly the single greatest gathering I can remember coming to Elkhart Lake.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:56 PM
mrepka
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
They should bring the entire fleet into Elkhart Lake in the front of the Friday night parade.

I haven't missed this event since 1986 when it was called The Como Inn Chicago Historics. This is possibly the single greatest gathering I can remember coming to Elkhart Lake.
Same here, it's an outstanding event well run and well attended by both the general public and race participants. If you're a gearhead at all and have the time, I would encourage you make a trip, it's well worth the effort. And as Bruce pointed out, there are a number of Rennlisters participating, if you do go stop by and say "hey"
Old 07-01-2010, 02:26 PM
MarkM
Burning Brakes

I remember them running in anger as a kid at Mid-Ohio. We saw several of the 917 can am cars run at Monterey in '98. It was the event at which my wife finally understood why I love Porsche racing and why I had been hooked since these cars were new.

Wow, I didn't realize how long ago that was until I just typed the numbers.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:48 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mrepka
Same here, it's an outstanding event well run and well attended by both the general public and race participants. If you're a gearhead at all and have the time, I would encourage you make a trip, it's well worth the effort. And as Bruce pointed out, there are a number of Rennlisters participating, if you do go stop by and say "hey"
What groups are you guys running in?

If anyone want to sign me up as a crew member so I can score a "hot pits" wrist band, I'd be glad to take some photos from the good areas for you
Old 07-01-2010, 02:51 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

I have been going there for years too. The Friday night parade into town is a huge highlight. I'll be with a group of people drinking wine and eating cheese under some small canopy tents on the right of the road by some big pines after Gessert's Candy Shop just before you get to Siebkins. Stop in and say Hi!
Old 07-01-2010, 03:08 PM
mrepka
Instructor

What groups are you guys running in?

If anyone want to sign me up as a crew member so I can score a "hot pits" wrist band, I'd be glad to take some photos from the good areas for you
Most of us would fall into group 8 "Historic/Post-Historic Medium Displacement Production Cars & Sedans (thru 1989)"
Old 07-01-2010, 04:13 PM
GG Allin
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I'll be there Sunday.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:48 PM
vintage914racer
Advanced

I'll be running in group 8. Orange 914-6 #29. I'm usually the slower of the 2 orange 914s in my race group.

It is my favorite event of the year. As others noted, the race car parade into town is the coolest. Every couple years I enter our 356 race car in the concours and it's such a blast driving it into town with all the people crowding the streets.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:22 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

I'll try to find all you guys, I'm usually in town Tuesday / Wednesday so plenty of time to roam around.

Originally Posted by vintage914racer
It is my favorite event of the year. As others noted, the race car parade into town is the coolest. Every couple years I enter our 356 race car in the concours and it's such a blast driving it into town with all the people crowding the streets.
What number / color? I have photos from every friday parade for the past 15+ years and video of a few.

Check this out - for sale:

http://www.russoandsteele.com/collec...C-Javelin/5725
Old 07-01-2010, 09:36 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm there for a DE Monday and Tuesday and staying the week. We have a hotel in Chilton. Send me an email petepasson@aol.com and maybe we can run into each other.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:32 AM
DWS964
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Sneaky Pete introduced this event to me a couple years ago. I will be there all week for the Nord Stern DE and the KIC.
Wuhooo. Seeing all of Donohue's cars will be VERY cool.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:51 AM
vintage914racer
Advanced

I'll try to find all you guys, I'm usually in town Tuesday / Wednesday so plenty of time to roam around.

What number / color? I have photos from every friday parade for the past 15+ years and video of a few.

Check this out - for sale:

http://www.russoandsteele.com/collec...C-Javelin/5725
Silver 356 #54. Last time we brought it to the race car concourse had to be in 2008.

Quick Reply: Mark Donohue reunion @ Road America to include the Sunoco 917/30