Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Next Indy car announced

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 12:42 PM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I think they were really trying to keep price down and prevent wheel to wheel interlock that causes so many accidients. I'm not a fan but with this economy cheaper chasis will be inviting for some smaller teams to head back into the mix. If I understand the rules correctly, if Penske or any other team fabricates an aero package that works than all of the teams will be able to purchase the aero package for $70K or less.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:04 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The nose of the car is much better looking than the current though. Although I agree that it's not a cool looking car... But if they develop aero packages, then it might end up not too bad...

c.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:13 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

It says the teams are only allowed to purchase 2 aero kits per car per year. Basically a single road race set-up and a single oval set-up. So it's not really going to be as innovative and diverse as it's claiming to be. It sounds like once you've made your decision you are stuck with it, you can't switch mid-season if you've already bought your 2 kit allotment. I doubt teams have the freedom to make their own aero tweaks to the kits they purchase. It doesn't specify if teams will be able to use bodywork from previous years in addition to the 2 they buy per year, but if they can that could put new teams at a disadvantage.

"It’s our goal to reach out and challenge the automotive industry as well as aerodynamic companies. So come on Ford, GM, Lotus, Ferrari. Come on Lockhead and General Electric. Come on you young engineers who might be working in small shops and garages. We've done our best to provide the framework for you to showcase your technical prowess without the need for a major raid on your piggybank."
Seriously, why would any of these automotive and aero manufacturers (except maybe lotus) want to dick around with something like this. Lots of rules, subject to committee approval, requires comprehensive analysis, labor intensive to manufacture, very limited and finicky market, and the profit would be minimal (for these companies). GE would make more money by designing a better toaster than messing around with this. The only way it would make any sense would be as a publicity stunt, but I don't think the IRL has enough fans to justify it. The manufacturers he should be talking to are companies like Lola, Swift, Riley, Pratt and Miller, Crawford, Oreca, Dome, etc.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:17 PM
dp35
Pro

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
Side pods will be "open" for development, along with the front/rear wings and engine covers. Will be interesting to see how much development is allowed.

Quoted from here:
http://www.indycar.com/news/show/55-...tion-for-2012/

Personally, I liked some of the other "starting points" better, but it's hard to argue with the rules setup IMO, no matter what chassis was chosen. A standard chassis with room for development in the looks/aero department, multiple engine manufacturers/layouts, and very fair costs.
OK, I agree that they've come up with an innovative way to allow development and potentially different looking cars, at a (hopefully) reasonable cost. I say "hopefully" reasonable cost, because developing new aero bits can be expensive, and despite a cap on purchase prices, there's no cap on how much teams like Penske can spend on development.

What I don't understand is how development of bodywork can be considered "open", if the teams are only allowed to use 2 sets per year. It sounds like once 2 sets have been used (1 oval, 1 road course), the car can't change until the following year.

It seems like the big teams will simply hide their designs until the last minute. At that point the small teams would have had to purchase the available bodywork, and thus won't be allowed to force the big team to sell them theirs. In this scenario the big team won't be forced to supply anyone else their parts until a year later, at which time they reveal new & improved parts at the last minute again, remaining one step ahead. What am I missing?
Old 07-15-2010, 01:24 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cory M
The manufacturers he should be talking to are companies like Lola, Swift, Riley, Pratt and Miller, Crawford, Oreca, Dome, etc.
Or just put a set of rules together and let these companies build cars as the market dictates. Gee, has that been done before?
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:25 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by Cory M
Seriously, why would any of these automotive and aero manufacturers (except maybe lotus) want to dick around with something like this.
I'm pretty sure the comment targeted at auto manufacturers is for powerplant development and not aero development. I suspect most of the aero development will be done in-house by the big teams or in partnership with some of the aero companies. The big teams will absorb the development costs and the small teams will reap the rewards of being able to buy the results at an affordable price.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:27 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by dp35
It seems like the big teams will simply hide their designs until the last minute. At that point the small teams would have had to purchase the available bodywork, and thus won't be allowed to force the big team to sell them theirs. In this scenario the big team won't be forced to supply anyone else their parts until a year later, at which time they reveal new & improved parts at the last minute again, remaining one step ahead. What am I missing?
Parts must be approved...at that point, I'm sure they are made available to all teams. I doubt the rules will allow a team to hold onto their designs and "hide" them when the entire point of formula is to allow any team to purchase any aero setup.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:54 PM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

One very ugly car. It will not help in getting more interest in the series.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:58 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Or just put a set of rules together and let these companies build cars as the market dictates. Gee, has that been done before?
What a great idea! Why hasn't anyone thought of that??
Old 07-15-2010, 03:57 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
But that is not how the politics of a panel works. The panel decides before any outside input exist on what direction they want to take. Then they tell the vendors this is what we are looking for, and with those constraints this is the kind of crap they come up with. The panel then picks the best from the lot of crap, and praises it's self for the good work. It then goes about trying to sell their "wise and open" decision to the parties that will be involved & the public. They can ignore the true fan base because the panel has already decided that they need to sell to the "potential" fan-base they believe exist. However, they usually look to the wrong demographics to become their fans. And so it is now; the panel has decided what you should like.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:44 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

I thought Swift had the best approach, but then again, I am a bit biased
Old 07-15-2010, 07:55 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

I'd like to see the CFD on that thing. The shape of those side pods looks to me like coolers and such will be pretty rear-biased. What's the weight distribution going to be like? Bueaty's in the eye of the beholder, but looks like something from a 50's or 60's sci-fi movie, or "car of the future" article.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:14 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Now it just needs a hideously ugly IRL Pace Car....a car that Jeremy Clarkson would say is ugly even when compared to a genital wart....

The Panamera
Old 07-15-2010, 09:13 PM
RSA333
Racer

The IRL is virtually a "spec" series, with Ganassi and Penske dominant. I don't see why this is better than F1, where innovation rules.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:08 PM
944CS
Drifting

Originally Posted by chris walrod
I thought Swift had the best approach, but then again, I am a bit biased
I thought that swift's designs were the most attractive and would have helped attract new viewers to the series. That thing is going to scare people away, I don't care if the cars won't look like that in the actual races, most people won't educate themselves enough to know that.

Quick Reply: Next Indy car announced