Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's a fun driving school for my 40th?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 04:54 PM
ferik
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts
Default What's a fun driving school for my 40th?

A few buddies are looking to spend 2-3 days at a driving school (skip barber, ice racing, open wheel, exotics, mazda, whatever) in the US or abroad to celebrate our 40th birthday.

I'd love to get recommendations. Ideally from people who have had experience with more than one so as to avoid "Go to this one, it's the best" from people who have only been to one.

We've done autocross and autocross training so we want to avoid anything that's just about a skid pad and driving around a course, something we've already done twice, enjoyed and paid $40 for.

Right now we're considering the open wheel racing / Formula Car at Skip Barber: http://www.skipbarber.com/formula.asp

Let me know!
Old 12-19-2012, 05:10 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by ferik
A few buddies are looking to spend 2-3 days at a driving school (skip barber, ice racing, open wheel, exotics, mazda, whatever) in the US or abroad to celebrate our 40th birthday.
I'd love to get recommendations. Ideally from people who have had experience with more than one so as to avoid "Go to this one, it's the best" from people who have only been to one.
We've done autocross and autocross training so we want to avoid anything that's just about a skid pad and driving around a course, something we've already done twice, enjoyed and paid $40 for.
Right now we're considering the open wheel racing / Formula Car at Skip Barber: http://www.skipbarber.com/formula.asp
Let me know!

Well, since you already did $40 worth of Autocross I would see if you can't bypass the basic Skip barber course and get into advanced, it will be a lot more fun for you. Don't tell them you are friends, they won't let you race each other!
Old 12-19-2012, 05:14 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've done ABRS, good school with great cars (carbon tub, wings and slicks, sequential shift Formula Renaults) http://www.allenbergracingschools.com/

this school looks interesting, haven't done it. http://gorally.com/firm/pro-driving-schools/
Old 12-19-2012, 05:30 PM
facelvega
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 58 Posts

Just did SB 3 Day Racing school at Laguna Seca. Lots of fun, made me a better driver, but a few points: There are no prerequisites, so the coursework assumes this is your first time on track. Day 1 heavy on braking and handling exercises, Day 2 laps with a stopbox at S/F for discussion and review, only on Day 3 do you do extensive flying laps.

For a deep pocket, I would recommend Scuderia Hanseat. Have not done it YET, but have spoken with and read many accounts - sounds fantastic. Need to run in your own car, so it involves getting your ride over to Germany. Makes the most sense as part of a long vacation - the money you save NOT renting a car pays for the shipping...

P.S. Both at SB and at a Formula BMW school I attended at the Nurburg GP track, one of the students had a claustrophobia attack in the formula car. At the BMW school, no refunds - guy lost the substantial tuition. At SB, they let the guy move to MX5 Cup (sedan). If you do not have any time in formula cars, you might want to find a way to try it out before you commit.

Last edited by facelvega; 12-19-2012 at 05:51 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:32 PM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Skip Barber at Laguna Seca. Great track and a great place to hang out after your done for the day. I would say Sebring but they don't use the whole track so it's kind of a tease.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:12 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

www.team-oneil.com Rally School

Do the 3 day program with friends and you will have a blast and really learn car control.

I am going back for the second time next week .....
Old 12-19-2012, 07:39 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Take your car to a PCA DE event ?
Old 12-19-2012, 09:09 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD

Do the 3 day program with friends and you will have a blast and really learn car control.

Good..
https://vimeo.com/5579459#t=14
Old 12-19-2012, 09:27 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
That was before my rally school and the new suspension.....
By next week I will be ready for Targa Newfoundland, just in case I don't fair well in E next year...by the way I need a navigator, interested?
Old 12-19-2012, 10:55 PM
rickg87
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would recommend Bondurant in Phoenix.
They use their own 1.6 mile track which is set up for great for learning to get
past your comfort zone. Newish GM vehicles or open wheel. I'm going out for a 2 day advanced course. Did a 4 day course a few years back. Great instructors.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:58 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

What about a ChumpCar or LeMons race?
Old 12-19-2012, 11:05 PM
gvtesse
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

www.dirtfish.com

Haven't been yet. Going next year though.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:32 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by gvtesse
www.dirtfish.com

Haven't been yet. Going next year though.
You have a PM
Old 12-20-2012, 12:00 AM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 326 Posts

Anything else you can say about this? I just signed up for the 3 day just trying to figure out when i'm going.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:18 AM
rhargy
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A lot of schools are good and you will have a great time. I would look into Bondurant in PHX not only because they run a quality program, but you'll have plenty of after hours actuvity options in the PHX area. Easy enough to get to from Scottsdale and all the resorts.

Quick Reply: What's a fun driving school for my 40th?