Sponsored by:

steering technique

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 01:33 PM
bauerjab
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default steering technique

Alain Prost teaches in his book to use the right hand to turn the wheel to make a left turn into the corner; and then to use the left hand to unwind the wheel to get out of the corner. (Vice versa for left hand turns)

Has anyone ever consciously done this?

Any idea why Prost would write this?
Old 08-18-2010, 01:37 PM
krystar
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

probably same reason we do it in karting. you use your arm to opposite push, not your wrists to turn the wheel. that way yer using your tricep muscle instead of your wrist.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:31 PM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Consciously, sure, but its more that it feels more natural and in an open wheel car where you are generally laying back quite a bit easier

When you're turning the wheel left, in your example, your left arm basically runs out of travel as you reach your body and you have to use your wrist to add anymore steering. By using your right hand and moving away from your body you have freedom to turn the wheel as needed. Then as the wheel unwinds you can use the other arm to slowly release the wheel, which I think is a way to keep from wearing yourself out.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:54 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by bauerjab
Alain Prost teaches in his book to use the right hand to turn the wheel to make a left turn into the corner...
What does he say to do if you need to downshift while your right hand is steering through the corner? Just wondering...

-td
Old 08-18-2010, 02:59 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

Hmm... I'll have to try this. I've just recently started driving an open-wheel car, and two of the driveability issues I've been having is 1) Being able to smoothly turn the wheel to the extent of lock I need, and 2) Wearing out my arms too quick. Part of this may be because I'm doing autocross where there's a lot of sharp turns one after the other, but part may also be due to my "technique".

I don't consciously know what exactly I'm doing (and I checked my video, and my hands are out of frame), but I do recall mentally having to reach my "inside" hand over the wheel prior to the turn to allow myself enough room to make the turn without having to shuffle-steer. This tells me that I'm most likely then pulling the top of the wheel down with my "inside" hand, as opposed to pushing it up with my "outside" hand.

I don't really understand why one is better than the other, but I'm willing to give it a shot.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:05 PM
krystar
Drifting

Originally Posted by himself
What does he say to do if you need to downshift while your right hand is steering through the corner? Just wondering...

-td
he'd prob say....do your downshift before u turn in. hehe
Old 08-18-2010, 03:22 PM
sig_a
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Way off topic.

For the very few who may not know --

A way to turn a motorcycle to the right is to press forward on the right hand grip turning the front wheel to the left. Seems incongruous, and works perfect. Vice versa for left turn, needless to say.

Last edited by sig_a; 08-18-2010 at 03:28 PM. Reason: -+-+
Old 08-18-2010, 03:58 PM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Scootin159
Hmm... I'll have to try this. I've just recently started driving an open-wheel car, and two of the driveability issues I've been having is 1) Being able to smoothly turn the wheel to the extent of lock I need, and 2) Wearing out my arms too quick. Part of this may be because I'm doing autocross where there's a lot of sharp turns one after the other, but part may also be due to my "technique".
1) I run into this issue with very slow, tight corners, but its not autox. With an autox car can you change the steering ratio? Quicken the ratio up a bit so that you don't run out of "arm" travel.

2)Go to the gym or get more seat time. Get your muscles used to work load.

What happens if you use a 10lb. plate and pretend its a steering wheel with your arms way out front? To me it seems that the easier motions are the up, or maybe its my shoulders, but the downward motion seems to stress my shoulders more. It would then make sense if that motion is easier it would be more efficient thus not wearing you out as quickly. Could this be what Prost means?
Old 08-18-2010, 04:19 PM
LDadrenaline
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have always found by pulling the way you want to turn it tires you much less. I spend quite a bit of time in the gym now so I don't ever get tired like I used to when I was quite large, but the pulling definitely helps. I learned that when I was a child running go-karts. When pushing you use triceps, shoulders and chest. When pulling you use mainly bicep and not nearly as much force.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:39 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

Originally Posted by 2BWise
With an autox car can you change the steering ratio? Quicken the ratio up a bit so that you don't run out of "arm" travel.
That was my original plan, however it's not as easy to adjust in my car as in many other open wheel cars. I can't move the mounting point on the upright without designing new (adjustable) uprights, so I'd have to change the rack. I may do that anyways, as mine has a good amount of free play in it, but it seems any new rack actually has a slower ratio than my current rack.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:59 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,435 Likes on 768 Posts

Originally Posted by bauerjab
Alain Prost teaches in his book to use the right hand to turn the wheel to make a left turn into the corner; and then to use the left hand to unwind the wheel to get out of the corner. (Vice versa for left hand turns)

Has anyone ever consciously done this?

John, this is a valid technique, and I suspect many drivers do this w/o thinking about it. I know I do. I am not sure that the 2 actions are entirely separate, but yes, whhen turning in, the outside arm generally dows more "pushing up", and when unwinding lock, the ind=side arm tends to do more "pulling down". But IMO they are smooth transitions between these actions.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 08-18-2010, 05:31 PM
bauerjab
Burning Brakes

Offer another explanation. Larger versus smaller muscle group.

Last edited by bauerjab; 08-20-2010 at 08:12 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:36 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,435 Likes on 768 Posts

I just visualize my avatar, and I perk right up.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:39 PM
bauerjab
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I just visualize my avatar, and I perk right up.

I wish it was that easy.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:29 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
John, this is a valid technique, and I suspect many drivers do this w/o thinking about it. I know I do. I am not sure that the 2 actions are entirely separate, but yes, whhen turning in, the outside arm generally dows more "pushing up", and when unwinding lock, the ind=side arm tends to do more "pulling down". But IMO they are smooth transitions between these actions.
One of the most common ergonomic/steering issues I comment on is sitting way to far from the steering wheel. I have had some students trying to drive with locked elbows. If you are trying to steer a car with your back muscles you will be one sore puppy in the morning, regardless of whether you are pushing or pulling the wheel

Personally, I sit with the steering wheel about 3-4 inches past my wrist. Not NASCAR close, but not the typical wrist-on-the-wheel either.

-td

Quick Reply: steering technique