Sponsored by:

Summit Point Club Race - Who's in...?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 12:09 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by dougdep
lets see and compare the two: NASA racing vs PCA racing..... this past weekend for the same price you could have gone to the Glen with NASA and done a total of 20 laps (practice and qualifying) and an additional 22 laps total in the two sprint races, 42 laps total at the Glen. OR, you could have gone to PCA at Summit and done a total of 45 laps (practice and qualifying) and an additional 105 laps in 3 Sprint races and 1 enduro equaling a total of at least 150 laps.

hmmm, i think i will stick with PCA and take my cheap plastic trophies and cooler bag and thermos.
Agree 100% but I do enjoy the free Hoho's, grid girls, and bitch slapping BMW's
Old 10-06-2010, 12:12 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah, we've had this discussion 100x already, and I'm not going to argue it.
I'm just so happy to be racing anyway.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:22 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Vito told me the GTS2 BMW's were running low 2:13's at the Glen, tough to compete with that.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:24 PM
dougdep
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by good hands
Agree 100% but I do enjoy the free Hoho's, grid girls, and bitch slapping BMW's
we could use some grid girls too for sure!

how do we get Hoosier et al to do contingency programs with PCA??
Old 10-06-2010, 12:34 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Vito told me the GTS2 BMW's were running low 2:13's at the Glen, tough to compete with that.
Ouch !
From this past weekend.

Class GTS2
65537 121 Eric Wong 2:11.285
65538 75 Pablo Crespo 2:13.487
65539 127 Jonathan Vasquez 2:14.171
Old 10-06-2010, 12:47 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Yeah, there was a Bimmer just ahead of me in that region, a few thought his motor was a cheater, up from Mid Atlantic. An SP3 944 turned a 2:11, we're all certain that he's cheating. For the record, I ran a bunch of 2:14s, my best ever at the Glen.

Not to turn this into a Glen thread:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eumFDuJoCw4
Old 10-06-2010, 12:47 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Ouch !
From this past weekend.

Class GTS2
65537 121 Eric Wong 2:11.285
65538 75 Pablo Crespo 2:13.487
65539 127 Jonathan Vasquez 2:14.171
I think I could do a 2:11..... with a 3.6L in my car.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:55 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gums
Yeah, there was a Bimmer just ahead of me in that region, a few thought his motor was a cheater, up from Mid Atlantic. An SP3 944 turned a 2:11, we're all certain that he's cheating. /url]
First of all, all of us Mid Atlantic guys cheat

2nd of all that is the nice thing about NASA. If he is cheating put him on the dyno at the track and weigh him.
( I am assuming there was a dyno. Mid Atlantic NASA always has a dyno available )
Old 10-06-2010, 01:07 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

First of all, all of us Mid Atlantic guys cheat

2nd of all that is the nice thing about NASA. If he is cheating put him on the dyno at the track and weigh him.
( I am assuming there was a dyno. Mid Atlantic NASA always has a dyno available )
With no dyno and very knowledgeable scruts it becomes a wild west show.. At Limerock (NASA Northeast?) the people I know seemingly knew beforehand there would be no dyno there, just scales.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:24 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by gums
An SP3 944 turned a 2:11, we're all certain that he's cheating. For the record, I ran a bunch of 2:14s, my best ever at the Glen.
I don't know who turned in the 2:11s in a SP3, but that is not a time that can only be achieved via cheating. Poetl, a great driver, turned a 2:11.3 at this year's Glen club race.... Frank, i hate to say it, but ... less brake more gas
Old 10-06-2010, 01:48 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

No dynos at this event, but we all got weighed.
Sorry Fred, the old "more gas less brake" wouldn't even have worked.
He was walking away without even having to try that hard.
Conditions were perfect, and it was Turbo weather, no doubt about it.
No sour grapes though, I did my best and feel great about it.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:39 PM
Carrera51
Race Car

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts

Not directed at you Gums, but why is it that the home region guys at some races think an out of region guy who is faster must be cheating? There were 5 fast cars from up north in our group at SP. They finished ahead of me and a most of the other guys who call SP a "home track" because they are faster, period.

If this person was really cheating, then they should have put their money where their mouths are and filed a protest. To grumble about it and disparage the guy (whoever he is) on the forums and behind his back is bad form.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:58 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Mark, you're right and no offense taken. However, the guy I'm referring to is from our region, well known to us, and quite frankly we're all just getting a little tired of him. I'm also of the opinion that he probably doesn't even know he's cheating, I don't think he would intentionally and I don't think he gets it. I am not speaking behind his back because I paddocked with the guy and had a frank discussion about it with him, face to face. He claims that his DME box was approved by PCA and sealed, so he's legit. What I have since learned, and trust me that I don't really understand this stuff as well as some of the others that are more fed up than me, is that his car is a Turbo S and responds to things outside of the DME such as a 3" downpipe (whatever that is) and his car can easily put out 75 hp more than intended. Plus, he's supposed to ballast way up which he never does. Physics would dictate that a 3250lb car putting out 215hp doesn't not turn 2:11's at WGI even if you're Jorg Bergmeister.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:11 PM
magnetic1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont wanna have to throw my hat into this cheating stuff, or the silly protests that were going on at WG this event, but since this involves me, hopefully I can clarify some. I never like even having to "defend" myself or anyone else who is accused of cheating. It typically leads nowhere anyways.

I am the driver of the Blue/White M3. I have been racing since 2004. I was in GTS3 this year until my engine blew up due to an oil pump nut backing off. I scrambed to get a motor put in before this event. I had it dyno'd 3 days before the event. I even had restrictor plates overnighted to me to have on the dyno in case they were needed. I pulled pretty crappy numbers and that was mainly a result of not having time to get the motor tuned. Here is my dyno sheet:

http://brakeswapracing.com/ericwong/...kyardS52AF.jpg

I can also post my Innovate LM1 data too if anyone wants. My air/fuel ratios were between 10-11 for the entire weekend. I can also take pictures of my spark plugs and O2 sensor if you like. Obviously the car was running super rich which was creating low HP #s.

Now more in regards to cheating and why I can pull away, etc etc. I mean, come on. You 944 guys (and my 2 fellow GTS2 competition) werent even running ANY serious aero. You dont think a car with properly setup aero stands to gain some time at Watkins Glen? Further, you can see in the video, everyone else's braking points are WAY earlier. You dont think that by braking less and getting on the gas sooner in T1 helps timewise between T1 and the bus stop? Do I need to show data? OK, here:

http://brakeswapracing.com/ericwong/...10/WGdata2.pdf

The black line was me having taken 200#s out of the car for Sunday in GTS3. The green line is Sat in GTS2. Just that alone was good for 1 sec. between T1 and Bus Stop. I could even publish even more data that shows different T1 entry MPH and their effects by the time you get to the bus stop.

Here are MY videos and you can judge for yourself.

Video #1: GTS2 Sat Race. You dont think Im catching the 944 in front because of braking and carrying more momentum? If I was cheating and had more power, how the hell does he pull me on every straight? O gee, Im only catching him in the corners...

Video #2: GTS3 Sun race: Look at all the GTS3 cars pull from me. I guess my magical switch for cheating didnt work on Sunday. How did I catch those guys???!!

https://vimeo.com/17246859

Video #3: GTS3 Sun race from behind. Gee, that Volvo is reported to have 270-300whp. Look at him close on me everywhere, yet I still manage to stay ahead and turn 2 secs a lap faster OMG!??!! HOW!!!! Must be cheating.

Seriously guys... sometimes people just have a more setup car and a driver to boot. As I mentioned in the NASAForum thread, come down to VIR this weekend. Your laptimes between WG and VIR should be similar. See how you do versus some other good drivers out of region. And on top of it all, we HAVE a dyno. Feel free to protest. And by protest I do not mean protesting someone for not having front #s. But Im not going to get into that.

Im 99% sure I will be at NJMP at the end of the month. It is reported that there will also be a dyno there. I had wanted to run GTS3 to really put a sock into that Volvo's mouth, but thanks to this thread, I might sign up for both GTS2 and GTS3.

EDIT: Furthermore, BMWCCA JP cars (230-240rwhp) turn 208s at WG with IP cars well below 207s. My fastest time on Sun in (GTS2.5 trim) was a 209.X, my Sat time was a 211.3. and FUTHERfurthermore, I always try to make sure my car has a legit dyno for just these reasons. You go somewhere and lay the smackdown, but no one even thinks to reason it may be setup/skill. Trust me, this weekend at VIR, I **WILL** be at the dyno on Friday optimizing my power/weight ratio.

Here is another thing I was thinking about. If you (or whomever is accusing me of cheating) doesnt think their car can go any faster, I'll make a bet with you. I'll hire Mike Skeen for you ($750 value). If he cannot knock your laptimes down, Ill pay for his services. If he does beat you by 1-2 seconds, you pay his services + apologize to me publically and have to put a sticker on your car saying you falsely accused someone for cheating for the entire 2011 season. I hired Mike to do coaching at Summit Point. Him getting on the gas in T6 a split second before I did resulted in a 1.25 second gap between T6 and T10.

Last edited by magnetic1; 09-20-2012 at 08:51 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:11 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dougdep
we could use some grid girls too for sure!
Doug, your fiancé is way better looking than any grid girls I've ever seen at Summit Point.

Quick Reply: Summit Point Club Race - Who's in...?