Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coaching Student with AWD

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 03:23 AM
beentherebaby
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^^ Been passed a lot by AWD driver's, huh?
Old 10-05-2010, 03:37 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,491 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
I've been at one event where three rolled in one day. I've only been present for one Evo/STi rollover at Willow Springs, though -- the driver cracked a vertebrae and messed up her hand, which came out during the roll.

They're capable cars, but they can reinforce some bad driving habits in a way that leads to a wheel or two going off -- and then trouble.

Two weeks ago I drove the new C4, though, and it was very relaxed. The driver wouldn't let me turn off the PSM. That made it even more relaxed. The 997's are well-engineered, suspension-wise.
sti capable for sure, we were so far off line at T2 TH, i was grabbing everything and anything i can to hold on in the car. we made the turn at high speed with no drama. try that in 911... you be so far off, the wreckage may be in the parking lot of casa ramos!

when are you going to come up again so i can learn your lines. and make sure that BIG wing is not moving left and right scaring me
Old 10-05-2010, 10:15 AM
LDadrenaline
Racer

Nothing really that special to do, Mike. Make sure they don't trailbrake. Instead of getting weight on the front so that the rear end rotates, it will just overload the front tires and make it understeer more. Only other thing is that when they are ready, make sure they start getting into power hard. Most ease into the throttle too much when you don't need to.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:06 AM
atr911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by J richard
First its important to let the student know that just because they have AWD that there is nothing wrong with them, they are just different and not to be ashamed of it. Even though they have AWD, they can become productive members of the driving community...

Oft times the AWD student may be somewhat inhibited by the fact that AWD is often affected by additional issues that accompany AWD,such as PASM, ABS and most noticably turbo supercharging and its debilitating effects. It is important to identify these side effects as soon as possible, as they can mask latent problems with basic motoring skills...

Event though your student may be struggling with the effects of AWD, you can overcome most of this disablity by talking slowly and loudly, and repeating the phrase, "more gas... more gas..." it is equally important to develop a comprehesion of the term "both feet in" generally spoken with a firm and steady, yet urgent voice...

Once your student has understood their AWD and its implications on their motoring future, they will begin to understand how to live with this condition, and how it may affect them and those around them...

I hope this has been helpful for you to develop the basic skills and sensitivity that it takes to compassionately understand and help your student affected by AWD...
You make it sound like genital warts ROFL
Old 10-05-2010, 12:31 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by LDadrenaline
Nothing really that special to do, Mike. Make sure they don't trailbrake. Instead of getting weight on the front so that the rear end rotates, it will just overload the front tires and make it understeer more. Only other thing is that when they are ready, make sure they start getting into power hard. Most ease into the throttle too much when you don't need to.
Thanks LD and Veloce Raptor...understeering got it!

Others I know how to handle the student and teach the student but I am unfamilar with AWD cars on the track so I was looking for a little input. This car is a Volvo AWD.

thanks for the tips....
Old 10-05-2010, 12:41 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mdrums

Others I know how to handle the student and teach the student but I am unfamilar with AWD cars on the track so I was looking for a little input. This car is a Volvo AWD.

thanks for the tips....
Is it an S60R?

Not sure what other AWD volvo somebody would bring to the track...

Any AWD volvo (AFAIK) is FWD biased (Haldex system) and only transfers power to the rear wheels when it detects slip.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:02 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 8 Posts

S60R - heavy, flailing, beached whale. Only saved by having decent brakes. Eats tires for lunch. And dinner. And snack time.

AWD on the track is remarkable in that it combines all the bad things about fwd with all the bad things about rwd. It's nice in the snow, though.

PHT
('04 S60R street beater mit 130k miles)
Old 10-05-2010, 01:03 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

thanks for the tips....
If it's one of these guys, it won't understeer too much.

Old 10-05-2010, 01:16 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 771 Posts

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
If it's one of these guys, it won't understeer too much.

I saw those run this past weekend in person at Miller. Damn!

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 10-05-2010, 01:27 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have instructed in a couple FWD and AWD cars, and here are my opinions :

First and most important thing to know about AWD:
AWD will NOT defy the laws of physics. (Same rule applies to ABS, PSM, PASM, and any other car nanny acronym you want to throw in the mix.)

Second thing to know about AWD:
Weight transfer is weight transfer, no matter where the drive wheels are located on the car. Thus, as with RWD and FWD cars, being smooth on entry is key to help minimize the understeer.

Third thing:
The line is, basically, the line. You may travel through the corner at different speeds in a given section of the corner, and you may apex a little sooner or later based on the driveline layout, but every corner has a turn-in / apex / track out point. I teach this concept regardless of what wheels are powered, and adjust the points based on not only driven wheels, but also driver style and how a given corner is to be driven based on the rest of the course (Remember the type-1, type-2 and type-3 corners?)

We instructors have a wonderful tendancy to over-complicate things for our students. If we'd stick with the fundamentals, things would be alot easier for our students. Then again, maybe if we don't teach them efficiently, they won't be in our mirrors so quickly!

-Z-man.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:39 PM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Z-man
I have instructed in a couple FWD and AWD cars, and here are my opinions :

First and most important thing to know about AWD:
AWD will NOT defy the laws of physics.
It actually says this in my 911TT manual !

Having purchased a 996TT and soon to be a student....this thread is giving me both good advice and a complex! :-)
Old 10-05-2010, 05:27 PM
RSA333
Racer

I miss my RWD Turbo S2. It was a great track car
Old 10-05-2010, 05:53 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Professor Helmüt Tester
S60R - heavy, flailing, beached whale. Only saved by having decent brakes. Eats tires for lunch. And dinner. And snack time.

AWD on the track is remarkable in that it combines all the bad things about fwd with all the bad things about rwd. It's nice in the snow, though.

PHT
('04 S60R street beater mit 130k miles)
Yep that is exactly what it is...Volvo S60R...husband and wife 3rd time a the track and she is having issues so I want to be on top of my game about the car and it's capibilites. She is a very eager student with more questions than I've ever been asked.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:36 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

This coming weekend I will have a student with all wheel drive. I've never have a student with AWD...is there anything special I need to know about AWD cars on a track?
I can tell you this much, almost every student I've had in an AWD car [mostly 911 Turbos] have a tendency to use way to much steering wheel. It's downright annoying. Apparently, the cars let the driver get away with this type of craziness despite being on the back side of the traction circle. Remind them that tires die faster when you are chewing through them with way too much slip angle AND under power.

-td
Old 10-05-2010, 07:20 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I saw those run this past weekend in person at Miller. Damn!
Wish I had known you were there. I would have liked a chance to meet the infamous VR.

I know a bit about tracking WRX/STIs but since we've established that this car is a Volvo I'll keep mum. I don't think I've ever driven a Volvo of any kind.

Quick Reply: Coaching Student with AWD