Sponsored by:

NASA issues and the demise of 944SuperCup

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 12:35 AM
fuenfer
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DanR
how did the car and new engine run? Manage to lower your times?
Car was great, I was just slow as a dog. Just need a lot more seat time, I guess.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:31 AM
BigKraut
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by good hands
I've heard that part of the Demise is directly related to the HMFWIC ? Any truth to this ?
Originally Posted by Weston
Of NASA? If so, not surprising. But I thought the 944 Cup guys got wise and declared independence from NASA and their endless nonsense?
Similar issues with Spec Boxster in NASA and the HMFIC (of the class, not NASA on a national level). 25 SPBs in the DFW area with regular fields of 16-18 cars but no one wants to race w/NASA due to political (read Ego) issues. Oh, well. Their loss since NASA, unlike PCA, is a for-profit organization with regional franchises.

Luckily for us we have PCA that listens to their customers!
Old 10-07-2010, 12:15 PM
North Coast Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hate to see any class die, but Super Cup had very limited participation from what I can see.

One of the issues was that 944 Cup ran primarily/exclusively with NASA up until 2009-10 and most people, like myself, believed 944 Cup was a Nasa National class which it was not. Nasa for good reason chose to support 944 Spec, along with GTS SE30 etc. instead of 944 Cup. This pushed Cup compeltely out on their own to create their own schedule and run with other sanctioning bodies. Many chose to stay and run with Nasa, like myself, while others followed Cup into PCA and SCCA.

There are also other "techincal" issues that were prevelant within the Cup series that led myself and others to disconnect as well. Many of the Cup cars can drop into 944 Spec fairly easily and the balance can fit into GTS1-3. These programs are strong and growing and coupled with PCA SP / GT classes provide some great opportunities to race.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:23 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

From what I'm hearing and thinking, 944SC will remain healthy, if not even better. There will still be SP3 with PCA of course, and NASA NE will pick it up and maybe modify it slightly and run under some other class name. Also, we won't have to deal with "HMFWIC". We can also go to GTS2 or GTS3. Don't worry about your new purchase, Phil, there will be plenty of racing.
Bill, last year's "nationals" left such a sour taste in so many mouths that is the reason for the poor turnout among us I am sure. I would loved to have been there this year, but not for such a short race and clear favoritism and shaky rule enforcement, to put it kindly. Further, we are so clearly second class citizens compared to 944Cup, and treated as such.
I love the class, I love my car, I love the guys in it and I'm looking forward to many more races nonetheless. Next year will be even better.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:46 PM
comatb
Rennlist Member

Frank I totally disagree with your statement that 'Nationals' were "such a short race" I totally disagree. In 2009 with NASA we ran two races the first being six laps and the second eight laps. In these races we started last, behind the SpecE30, Spec 3 and GTS 2 classes. This was not ideal for our 'Nationals'. With SCCA ProRacing at this year's 'Nationals' we ran two races of twenty laps each in our own race group!

I love 944's of all types and wish you SC guys the best in whatever class you decide to run in next year.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:59 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Bill, you know I love you, but you disagree that 6 laps to determine a national champ is short?
The pace lap took longer!
Old 10-07-2010, 01:23 PM
comatb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gums
Bill, you know I love you, but you disagree that 6 laps to determine a national champ is short?
The pace lap took longer!
Frank, I think that in 2009 the races were too short. In 2010 the two 20 lap races and our own race group were a big improvement and yet only two SC cars showed up even though the schedule was available well ahead of the event. I'm sure there were many factors affecting the poor SC turnout but the reality is that it makes no sense to continue SC with the lack of support at the 'Nationals'. This is only my opinion, we will have to see how it all works out.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:30 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Agreed on all fronts; turnout is meager to justify continuing, too bad this year was a proper event length. Just my opinion, and it's a dead issue anyway, but there were many injustices to us last year, at least I think so.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:40 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

NASA National is for profit first (some might say only). Justice/morals/ethics, whatever you want to call it, is way down the list. Don't be lulled into thinking otherwise.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:53 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by John H
NASA National is for profit first (some might say only). Justice/morals/ethics, whatever you want to call it, is way down the list. Don't be lulled into thinking otherwise.

Sounds like NASCAR.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:00 PM
North Coast Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spoken like a true Nasa National Champion....
Old 10-07-2010, 09:21 PM
Antonio
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Not happy with NASA? There is another very good option for 951's to race. Chek out SCCA STU. The rules can be found at http://www.scca.com/documents/Fastra...strack-aug.pdf.

As the rules are written now I think they favor cars with forced induction. I've ran three races this year in my 951 that I converted from ITE to STU. Althought the car was far from perfect (evil handling) I won one race and came second in two. In every race there were at least 6 other cars in the class. I'm convinced that the 951 will be super competitive in the class. Feel free to PM me if you need more information.

Last edited by Antonio; 10-07-2010 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 10-07-2010, 10:35 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by North Coast Cab
Spoken like a true Nasa National Champion....
GTS Challenge National Champion. Don't forget, there was a difference in 2007. It was before the "acquisition". Just to be clear. I was critical of NASA's for profit attitude prior to theabsorption of GTS Challenge.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:43 AM
Weston
Racer

Originally Posted by John H
Given their endless stream of BS and screw-the-customer mentality, I frequently question if they're allergic to our money, because they sure don't seem to want it. But I think the real answer here is that they rely on the fact that enough participants are so drunk on their own ego's and being a "racer" that they'll continue to funnel money to NASA, despite being screwed-over repeatedly by it. I suppose there's a sort of evil-genius in exploiting the fact that most amateur road racers are spineless and easily manipulated. Being for-profit isn't bad in itself, and it was even a good thing about NASA for a while, but it has since deteriorated into the same old BS politics as SCCA and other clubs, but now mixed with greed as well.

The individual regions are what makes NASA events worth considering. The National office is basically just an incompetent government that imposes a tax and stupid rules. The only reason I put up with NASA National for a long as I did is because NASA Rocky Mountain is pretty awesome, but that doesn't completely negate it... I still found myself unable to justify the level of drama, politics, and other BS in something that's supposed to be a fun hobby.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:25 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 78 Posts

I know nothing of the SC situation but I can say that Nasa Mid-Atlantic, directed by Chris Cobetto, is just plain excellent. Maybe I've missed all the politics etc but when we had an issue Chris responded. The whole MA staff puts on a very friendly experience for all the participants.

I have a ball with Nasa and PCA. They are very different experiences. I've never had an issue with Nasa. I also run in GTS so maybe that's the difference?

Quick Reply: NASA issues and the demise of 944SuperCup