Sponsored by:

Performance Driving School: Porsche School vs Skip Barber

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 04:45 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Jarez Mifkin
a 997S at Barber is gonna hit 110 maybe 115 mph tops.
Know zip about Barber, just guessing what the car can do (well, as I had one it's an "educated" guess). Point is 3rd and 4th are plenty quick enough and with a new student (if he is overwhelmed) I will limit it to one gear! Wasn't flaming the original poster, just making the point that he has a LOT more to learn than shifting, bet Hurley Haywood keeps the gears to a minimum for a reason.

Last edited by Gary R.; 10-18-2010 at 09:36 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:17 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I have done pretty much all the programs Skip Barber offers, the 2 day HP course that you are looking at was good, but very basic and entry level......

If you have completed a couple of track days then I would suggest you take their 3 day racing school to really get you jump started

http://www.skipbarber.com/racing_sch...ng_school.aspx

then go practice the newly learned skills at DE events with a good instructor......

you will be surprised at the results......

Good luck......

P.S. Gary and Rick, not quite made the Ferrari jump yet.............
Old 10-19-2010, 11:06 AM
Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
I have done pretty much all the programs Skip Barber offers, the 2 day HP course that you are looking at was good, but very basic and entry level......

If you have completed a couple of track days then I would suggest you take their 3 day racing school to really get you jump started

http://www.skipbarber.com/racing_sch...ng_school.aspx

then go practice the newly learned skills at DE events with a good instructor......

you will be surprised at the results......

Good luck......

P.S. Gary and Rick, not quite made the Ferrari jump yet.............
Thanks for the input. Skip has a "sale" on their classes if I sign up by the end of the month. Hmmmm.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:55 PM
mrepka
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another vote for Skippy... It's a very well run program with top notch instruction (at least when I attended a number of years ago, no recent experience) I liked that they were able to add some elements to the instuction that you normally can't get at an open track / DE weekend. Threshold braking and trailbraking exercises for example.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:37 PM
Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mrepka
Another vote for Skippy... It's a very well run program with top notch instruction (at least when I attended a number of years ago, no recent experience) I liked that they were able to add some elements to the instuction that you normally can't get at an open track / DE weekend. Threshold braking and trailbraking exercises for example.
Good point... this may be right up there with the instruction as an attraction... an opportunity to try some things in a controlled environment that aren't good to do on the street, and are tougher to do in a track day or DE setting.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:49 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

My vote is for PCA DE. You learn how to drive properly. You will also enjoy the social side of things. Save Skippy and other R-A-C-E schools for later. You may never decide to race. Before trying to learn advanced techniques, why not start at the beginning?

PCA will be happy to teach you trail braking once you have demonstrated that you have learned how to use the brake pedal correctly. Threshold braking is a basic technique usually taught in pre-DE schools.

In PCA you will be instructed by a guy driving a Porsche - this is not trivial. Secondly, nothing beats having an instructor sitting in your car - feeling what you feel and seeing what you see. That's impossible in the single seat cars used my most race schools.

Regards,
Old 10-19-2010, 04:02 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Reddy Kilowatt
Good point... this may be right up there with the instruction as an attraction... an opportunity to try some things in a controlled environment that aren't good to do on the street, and are tougher to do in a track day or DE setting.
Check with Boston on the cost, but he folded up two Skippy cars during his reign of terror there and damage is an out of pocket expense AFAIK...
Old 10-19-2010, 04:30 PM
Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Check with Boston on the cost, but he folded up two Skippy cars during his reign of terror there and damage is an out of pocket expense AFAIK...
LOL! I was planning on keeping everything in the original number of pieces. Good advice all. I will mull this over a bit.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:31 PM
techno99
Racer

I did the Skippy 3 day racing school 2 years ago. I had the choice of either the single seater open wheel car or and MX-5. I did the MX-5. It was a good school, but much of it was basic. As stated above a few of the exercises are well designed. The only time an instructor was in the car was the first day, during auto-cross exercises. It was fun having the instructor pulling the e-brake at any random time during the auto-cross run. I'm glad I went, but I'm not sure that it was worth the cost unless you're trying to getting a racing license quickly. Terry Earwood was a very entertaining instructor. Imagine Robin Williams instructing the class and you get the idea.

You can buy collision insurance. It was $175/day when I went.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:37 PM
mrepka
Instructor

Originally Posted by techno99
Terry Earwood was a very entertaining instructor. Imagine Robin Williams instructing the class and you get the idea.
Entertainment not a huge draw in picking a driving / race school, but I agree, Terry is something else.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:50 PM
chopperzz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TT Gasman
No experience with skippy, but I have done the full PSDS course (2day,masters,masters plus). The PSDS is an excellent course, first rate instruction at a great venue (barber). I would do it again in a flash.
I agree 100%
Old 10-19-2010, 06:10 PM
chopperzz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
My vote is for PCA DE. You learn how to drive properly. You will also enjoy the social side of things. Save Skippy and other R-A-C-E schools for later. You may never decide to race. Before trying to learn advanced techniques, why not start at the beginning?

PCA will be happy to teach you trail braking once you have demonstrated that you have learned how to use the brake pedal correctly. Threshold braking is a basic technique usually taught in pre-DE schools.

In PCA you will be instructed by a guy driving a Porsche - this is not trivial. Secondly, nothing beats having an instructor sitting in your car - feeling what you feel and seeing what you see. That's impossible in the single seat cars used my most race schools.

Regards,
I disagree with this perspective. The 2 day PSDS gives you a couple driving execises is controlled environments. Autocross, threshold braking, heel-toe and full track exposure.
The list of instructors represent tons of experience, from Hurley Haywood to Chris Hall and the recently signed Andrew Davis (to Brumos Racing in Grand-am)
The PCA, although a great bunch of people, are not always providing instructors with proven experience.
Most anyone can attest to knowing good drivers but bad teachers and in the PCA it is largely an unregulated training environment, using cars that they don't own (because they're yours).
I'm not slamming the PCA, but it simply cannot be said that PCA DE event will give you a comparable learning experience to a PSDS course.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:34 PM
prg
Pro

My only caution about the open wheel schools is that you may get the Jones to go open wheel racing. I did a five day school at the now defunct Daly school in Vegas. After the last two days in a formula car on slicks, I knew open wheelers were for me. They will make your 993 feel like a pig.

Personally, I think open wheelers are great for learning. Although you can't have an instructor with you, the nature of the car is that your mistakes are revealed to you, often instantly. The cars respond to your instruction immediately, for better or worse. Great fun and much less tolerant of ham fisted inputs than a sedan.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:38 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 401 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Also email coochas. He's done a number of days at PDE and lots of PCA days. I've done a Skippy school. In my opinion, I would spend the money on DE days in your car.
I think PSDS is great: I've done 7 days with them at Barber. Being early on the learning curve, you can pick up some great habits from some fantastic instructors there. Through a combination of parking lot and track they engrain 'looking ahead' which is the first habit you want to pick up. Aside from top notch instructors and an amazing track, the camaraderie is great (with a few exceptions!) and the Barber museum is cool. If you want to play with Boxsters and 997s and even dabble in PDK, it's a great place. If you live some place that is seasonal in terms of track, then an escape to Barber might be nice in the off season.

All that being said, I've had some truly fantastic instruction in PCA. PCA DE is a relative bargain and I do like driving my own cars better. About 2/3 of my events this year were PCA DE. At least in my regions, PCA runs a very safe event and has great instructors. There's tons of local talent in PCA many of whom enjoy teaching!
Old 10-19-2010, 08:21 PM
TedA
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Coochas
PCA DE is a relative bargain and I do like driving my own cars better. About 2/3 of my events this year were PCA DE. At least in my regions, PCA runs a very safe event and has great instructors. There's tons of local talent in PCA many of whom enjoy teaching!
Yes+1000.

I wasted my time in engineering school...

DE...look around and ask questions. There is more knowledge than you could absorb.

Read here.....many peeps who know what the deal is. YMMV

Quick Reply: Performance Driving School: Porsche School vs Skip Barber