Sponsored by:

Bad day at Black Rock (CMP)

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 10:46 PM
johntorg
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad day at Black Rock (CMP)

I had a bad weekend racing at Carolina Motorsports Park. My transmission went out in the first race, I borrowed a transmission and installed it and then blew the clutch. Not sure if it really was the transmission, maybe just the clutch. I also ran over an alternator that fell off someone's car and cracked the engine cross member and one of the fins on the oil pan. Its going to be a busy week, since I'm racing again at CMP next weekend.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:14 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by johntorg
I also ran over an alternator that fell off someone's car and cracked the engine cross member

Wow. Don't read that every day.

Sorry to hear of your troubles.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:34 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

hmmmm...sounds like a 944spec race....
Old 11-01-2010, 10:04 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Sorry to hear that John. At least you have a few extra cars to steal parts from if needed!
Old 11-01-2010, 11:58 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by J richard
hmmmm...sounds like a 944spec race....
Old 11-01-2010, 12:48 PM
pat056
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish I had your problems. I was caught behind a spin in turn 1 of the 1st race and rear-ended (White group). Weekend over and racing may be a long way off...
Old 11-01-2010, 12:55 PM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it makes you feel any better, I paid for a DE, rented a trailer, took it down there, and had brake problems that I wasn't ever able to fix last weekend (23-24) at Road Atlanta. >$500 between fees, trailer, and gas down the drain without a single lap.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:31 PM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 67King
If it makes you feel any better, I paid for a DE, rented a trailer, took it down there, and had brake problems that I wasn't ever able to fix last weekend (23-24) at Road Atlanta. >$500 between fees, trailer, and gas down the drain without a single lap.
Sorry to hear of the brake problems...should have come seen me, I had everything but the brake lines for a 951 in the trailer right down to the proportioning valve...might have found something that could have helped.

John,
Sorry to see the drivetrain troubles, was fun running with you for a while. And you still had a pretty good lap with just 4th gear I went through 4 CV joints....car is lowered to much. Every time I hit a gator I blew a boot.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:10 PM
AlpharettaRK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry for everyone's troubles. I had a slow start to the weekend with shifter problems and a cut tire on Friday but things smoothed out and I made all 4 races.
I do want to make sure that we give credit to the Carolina's region for a great event. Those that did the enduro got 3 hours of racing (not counting practice and qualifying sessions), which is plenty for me! Yes, the track is rough, but if you want plenty of track time and great weather put it on your calendar for next year.
Brent I enjoyed running with you when we did. Did I get slower or did those stickers for the enduro help that much? In any event I couldn't catch back up to you after I got done racing Kevin in Bill's car. The single biggest improvement they could make to that track is to smooth the gators outside of 14, then maybe outside the carosel.
I was behind Bill first when his belt flew off and 2 laps later when the alternator was spit out, just managed to miss it.
One last plug for Spencer Pumpelly and the coaching program. We all think we know how to drive but we can all get better and he really helped me. I really think I got as much out of sharing him for the weekend for $500 as I would out of having a coach to myself. At my age my brain can only digest so much change and I got plenty to work on, and plenty of improvement with the time with Spencer.
Cheers
Randy
Old 11-01-2010, 02:24 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

I'll continue the boo-hooing. I got DQed in the first race for being underweight by 26 pounds, corded a 6 heat cycle tire in the 2nd race while doing a 360 at 100mph (DNF), and almost had my front wheel come off during the third race because I forgot to torque them that morning (DNF #2). But as I always say, it's good to bring the car home in one piece, and it sure beats a weekend at work.

Originally Posted by johntorg
I also ran over an alternator that fell off someone's car and cracked the engine cross member and one of the fins on the oil pan. Its going to be a busy week, since I'm racing again at CMP next weekend.
I barely missed that alternator.
Attached Images  
Old 11-01-2010, 02:38 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,945 Likes on 1,745 Posts

Is this typical of 944 spec cars? Do they have a lot of problems? Not reliable?
Old 11-01-2010, 02:59 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

944's are around 25 years old now. If you throw a cage in one and go racing, you'll have a lot of things break & fall off.

If you take the time to build one well, they are a very tough platform.
Last year, out of 90 race starts, only once was a car unable to start the race due to a mechanical (blown clutch in 1st race) in Midwest 944 Spec. My car ran 10 race weekends, including 4 3 hour enduros, with but one mechanical issue (fan relay went out). Lots of little tricks to help - retainers for the axle bolts being the most recent for me - no axles coming loose, and self-destructing! Keeping up with a maintenance schedule (like replacing ball joints every other year) helps keep the wear & tear from catching up with you at the track.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:40 PM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by AlpharettaRK
Yes, the track is rough, but if you want plenty of track time and great weather put it on your calendar for next year.
I didn't find the track rough at all other than the gators were brutal.

Originally Posted by AlpharettaRK
Brent I enjoyed running with you when we did. Did I get slower or did those stickers for the enduro help that much? In any event I couldn't catch back up to you after I got done racing Kevin in Bill's car.
The new tires helped especially after I saw the ones I took off had corded during a spin. The start was awesome but I ended up taking a 5:30 pit stop because I couldn't get my stopwatch started when I crossed the line to know when to go back out. Came out just behind Kendrick and had a hoot running him down. Then Mark Repka and I had a blast for the last 10 laps or so chasing each other.

Great fun and biggest shout out for the Carolina region for a fantastic event and an all around great time. We even found a good home cooking barbeque restaurant in Heath Springs for next year

Now have to decide if we have enough tires for Roebling to finish out the season
Old 11-01-2010, 03:43 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by f1rocks
Now have to decide if we have enough tires for Roebling to finish out the season
Skip RR and come down to Barber in two weeks for PBOC!
Old 11-01-2010, 03:46 PM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Lemming
Skip RR and come down to Barber in two weeks for PBOC!
You gotta talk Repka into coming I don't go anywhere without my wing man

I'll probably come down and watch or help crew for anyone needing some help. I don't think I can get the suspension re-indexed by then. I'd really like to race at Barber sometime next year though.

Quick Reply: Bad day at Black Rock (CMP)